Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 16, 2024, 08:44:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We've Made it!  (Read 41591 times)
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »

single family? wow most the guys I know in Mililani are at like 2300+
djrashonal

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »

I've got a 3br/1bath in Wahiawa (east side of Kamehameha highway) for 1300/month. Regardless of what you hear, it's not a bad place to live. All my neighbors are relatively friendly. 

1300/mo sounds damn good for hawaii! thats cheaper than our mortgage in the DC area!

How bad is the AM/PM commute from Wahiawa to Honolulu during the week?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
DRKWNG
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »

How bad is the AM/PM commute from Wahiawa to Honolulu during the week?

You don't even want to think about this one.  It would suck big time!!

And even through Trey doesn't think Wahiawa is that bad, it really is.  He just doesn't see it that way because he came here from Ft Campbell, so he is used to the ghetto.  Wink

$1300 is seriously underpriced for a three bedroom place that is worth a shit in a decent part of the island.  When I first moved here, I was renting a three bedroom, two and a half bath townhome in Makakilo (great area!).  I paid $2300 a month for it, but it was about 1600 sq ft and had a two car garage.  The commute from that place really blew though, so I had to bail.  Seriously though, if you guys are looking at coming here, with your wife working at Tripler, you guys need to move into base housing at either Red Hill Mauka (where I just moved out of) or AMR.  The houses are pretty much brand new and really nice.  You lose all of the BAH, but there isn't a utility bill (electricity is REALLY expensive down here) to worry about, the location is great and the places are within a privatized housing area, so pretty safe.  Sorry for being so candid here, but you would be an idiot to not move in there.
zzilla

<Insert something inspiring here>

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »

I forgot to add, my place was built in the 50's, has termites/woodcutter ants  in the ceiling, and the floor is falling apart(i think) under the crappy tile, and my landlady is a total pregnant dog. but other than that, it's alright. My commute to Schofield is about 9 minutes. commute to Honolulu at 5am takes about 45 min to an hour and a half depending on accidents. god help you on the way home.

Did I ever tell you the story about the Zen master and the little boy?
       -Gust Avrakotos
djrashonal

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:52 PM »

You don't even want to think about this one.  It would suck big time!!

And even through Trey doesn't think Wahiawa is that bad, it really is.  He just doesn't see it that way because he came here from Ft Campbell, so he is used to the ghetto.  Wink

$1300 is seriously underpriced for a three bedroom place that is worth a shit in a decent part of the island.  When I first moved here, I was renting a three bedroom, two and a half bath townhome in Makakilo (great area!).  I paid $2300 a month for it, but it was about 1600 sq ft and had a two car garage.  The commute from that place really blew though, so I had to bail.  Seriously though, if you guys are looking at coming here, with your wife working at Tripler, you guys need to move into base housing at either Red Hill Mauka (where I just moved out of) or AMR.  The houses are pretty much brand new and really nice.  You lose all of the BAH, but there isn't a utility bill (electricity is REALLY expensive down here) to worry about, the location is great and the places are within a privatized housing area, so pretty safe.  Sorry for being so candid here, but you would be an idiot to not move in there.

I hear what you're saying about base housing, and the only reason we were considering living off base is because BAH was so High that we were looking at possibly buying (it would pay for upwards of a 500k home) but we're leaning towards base housing.  Is there a difference between on base officer quarters/Enlisted?

EDIT:
I just found this site ( http://www.armyhawaiifamilyhousing.com/homes/501/community ) is this an accurate description? out of these communities, which is the best? the one you were living in seems pretty nice
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:54:42 PM by djrashonal » Logged

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
DRKWNG
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »

Depends on what area you are looking at, and what grade the member is.  So with that in mind, what grade is the member?  I was living in a SGM unit and it was considered about the same as a field grade officer.  Quite a few people on this board came over to the house several times, and can attest to the "bang for the buck" that you get there.
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »

In my base housing community NCOs and Officers live side by side.  I can't speak for others on the island.
djrashonal

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »

Depends on what area you are looking at, and what grade the member is.  So with that in mind, what grade is the member?  I was living in a SGM unit and it was considered about the same as a field grade officer.  Quite a few people on this board came over to the house several times, and can attest to the "bang for the buck" that you get there.

she's an O3, maaaay be O4 by then

In my base housing community NCOs and Officers live side by side.  I can't speak for others on the island.

Which community are you in?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
DRKWNG
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »

she's an O3, maaaay be O4 by then

Well, you would be pleased at the properties they would offer you at the two areas that I mentioned.  Plus, less than five minutes to Tripler. 
djrashonal

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

Well, you would be pleased at the properties they would offer you at the two areas that I mentioned.  Plus, less than five minutes to Tripler.  

Yea, I'm looking at the housing choices and it looks pretty phat.
are you in this house? :

http://www.armyhawaiifamilyhousing.com/phpthumb/phpThumb.php/aoe=1;q=95;iar=1;360x240;../files/armyhawaiifamilyhousing_com/IMG_9432.jpg
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:03:14 PM by djrashonal » Logged

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
DRKWNG
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 03:02:19 PM »

What house?
djrashonal

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »

What house?

sorry, its a shitty website

http://www.armyhawaiifamilyhousing.com/phpthumb/phpThumb.php/aoe=1;q=95;iar=1;360x240;../files/armyhawaiifamilyhousing_com/IMG_9432.jpg

http://www.armyhawaiifamilyhousing.com/homes/808
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:05:53 PM by djrashonal » Logged

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
DRKWNG
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »

Yes, it is a shitty site. 

The one you linked to is a duplex.  Mine was a free standing, single family house. 

This is the one I was in.  http://www.armyhawaiifamilyhousing.com/homes/805
djrashonal

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »

Yes, it is a shitty site. 

The one you linked to is a duplex.  Mine was a free standing, single family house. 

This is the one I was in.  http://www.armyhawaiifamilyhousing.com/homes/805

That thing is pretty badass. Now are they as strick as other bases where the grass has to be a certain length all the time, and you have to be meticulous about every little bullshit thing, or are they pretty laid back?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
DRKWNG
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

The housing community itself is pretty laid back, so it all depends on your neighbors.  But I will say this, while I was deployed, my ex wife didn't do shit with the yard (or the dog in the yard for that matter) the entire time I was gone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: