Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 16, 2024, 10:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idle thoughts...  (Read 4511 times)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 08:01:36 AM »

<snip>
If Erica's Sky was a manual transmission I might be looking for something more practical, like a sporting sedan.  But... I drove her little roadster and was underwhelmed... that car NEEDS a manual transmission DESPERATELY.  Now I feel the need for a sporting rear-wheel-drive car with a proper clutch and manual gearbox (as it was meant to be).  If a Sky Redline with a manual was available nearby (and remotely affordable on trade), I'd be seriously trying to convince her to trade up.
</snip>

Erica's car is a Saturn Sky.

(Those are snapshots she took shortly after purchase. One of these days I'll take it out for a proper photoshoot.  Now if I can just convince Erica to model with the car...) Wink

Doing a tranny swap in a modern electronics-laden car would be a nightmare.  It's all so bloody integrated. Tongue  Far easier --and probably cheaper-- to just trade the whole car.  Again, that's only if she's willing to.  It's her car.

So anyway... with all the looking around I've been doing, and considering that right now I don't need a project like a Lotus 7 replica, and with budget considerations in mind... I'm leaning toward the Z3, mid-90's M3, 944, or a 914/4 (if one can be found).  I probably wasn't clear at the beginning: I know I need to get rid of at least one GTI, but the key thing that started the whole "get rid of both" idea was how sweet and balanced the Sky felt.  It's just missing the manual gearbox.  Driving that car is what inspired me to start seriously considering swapping both GTIs for something low-slung and tight-handling.  The FWD GTIs are both nose heavy (the VR6 more so), and even the VR6 with the Konis doesn't enter a corner like the Sky does.  I love the motor in the VR6, but the handling just won't ever measure up.  The only way to build a VW that feels balanced the way I want would be to do a major chop job... we're talking quattro or RWD conversion in a Corrado (with an anal-retentive focus on weight distribution... so probably a RWD VR6 with a 944's rear transaxle).  That's WAY more fab work than I have the time or money for.

Ooh... long term project idea... stuff a VR6 into a Lotus 7 replica. Evil  Incredibly fun engine in an incredibly fun chassis.  But anyway, that's just an idea, and a long-term one at that.  What I need right now is a driver.  So I either keep one GTI, or get rid of both and buy something more fun that runs and drives.

Gawd I want the sun to come back so I can go carve some corners...

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
scott_araujo

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »

M3 is nice.  My old roommate had one.  Even older models feel tight and fast.

Scott
GAAN
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »

Tranny swap in a saturn sky = no

VR6 into a lotus 7 = yes?

If I were you i'd just buy the 914

scott_araujo

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »

Light, good handling, heated seats, weather protection, optional sunroof,  and great mileage.  Sound good?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_C1

Saw these in France when I was there.  Very cool little ride.  Also saw lots of Smart Cars before they came here.

Scott

duc_fan

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »

Ooh, want:

BMW Z3 (<-- clicky)

Also been looking at mid-90's M3s.  There are a few nice examples (not show cars, but not abused), though they're a bit far away (looking on AutoTrader with the distance set to "any").

If I can budget for more like $12k-$13k, I could get a nice low-mileage BMW M Roadster.  Evil  The Z3-based M cars were some of the stiffest chassis BMW had ever made (at least up to that point).  Excellent power and handling in a wonderfully small package.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

GAAN
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »

I know that 135

i'd buy it, it looks like fun

and the z3  waytogo
bnbmike

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53:34 PM »

I test drove a used M Coupe with a bunch of Dinan aftermarket stuff.  All I can cay is the salesman nearly wet his pants when I took the on ramp from SW Jefferson on to 26 at about 90 MPH.  Laura drove it first and warned him that I would "test" it.  They are funky looking, but I like 'em.

Had 2001 Monster 750 Dark, last of the carbby's.
Has 2011 Multistrada 1200 ST
GAAN
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »

"funky" is one way to describe that car...  vomit
duc_fan

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

"funky" is one way to describe that car...  vomit

Hahahaha...  I know, but I like 'em too.  Mike's and my affinity for that car may have something to do with the hot hatch thing, what with being GTI guys and all.   Wink

The M Coupe is probably THE stiffest BMW chassis/unibody ever made.

badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »

Older triumphs are something to stay away from as are Porsche 914.s Not Reliable and to sort out properly will cost you more than the vehicle is worth.
My fave would be a BMW 2002. Simple classic car that you can ring the shit out of if you want to.They can handle a good flogging and did pretty well in their day on the track as well as rally's.
Not convertible but a lot of bang for the buck.

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »

Look.... he is trading his 914 for a Ducati...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1631785688.html

Grin

Don't know that he will find any takers though.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
duc_fan

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »

Been talking with my lady... I love her, because she understands balancing fiscal responsibility with fun.

After the wedding, I think the '98 GTI is going on the chopping block.  With the proceeds from that, put a new transmission (with limited-slip or torque-biasing diff) in the '86 GTI and fix the fuel injection.  Use the remainder to pay down debt.  While it's not as flashy or fast as say a Z3 or M3, it is still fun.  Plus it's more fuel efficient than the VR6.  Externally, it's not great cosmetically.  Internally, it's quite nice.  Mechanically, all is sound except the FI and transmission.

Once debts are gone and money has been saved, I can look at other vehicular options (or finish restoring the '86).

On a related front: a restored Mk2 GTI is worth more than a Mk3 VR6 right now.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: