Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: belts & valves  (Read 1928 times)
WarrenJ

« on: March 14, 2010, 06:41:47 AM »

Well I am in the midst of replacing the belts and checking the valves on my 750 for the first time.  Pretty steep learning curve but I'm getting up it.  Belts are done and in retrospect it wasn't that hard.  The next time will probably take me a quarter of the time. 

Valve measurements had me pulling my hair out for a while but I think I have an understanding of it now.  I need to pull the opener shims and sand them down a few thousands and get some new closer shims to fit. 

Is there anyone "local" that has 8mm closer shims in stock instead of waiting a week to get them shipped in?

Purdy soon I'll be an experd!

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
tankerbutt

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

not sure if there's anybody local with parts.  I'm waiting for the new Ducati dealership to open up to start my first valve job.
WarrenJ

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »

Well, I have the vertical cylinder done and right on - Just the horizontal one to go.  I think I am going to need to buy closer shims for the horizontal cylinder - fortunately the closers on the vertical were fine.  I bought the belts, gaskets and manual from California Cycle Works listed under the Sponsors.  Good service.  Depending  on the model you have, they have some aftermarket timing belts that are testing out as good or better than the OEM ones.  They are also cheaper.  Unfortunately, the belts for the 750 Monster have not come in yet so I got the OEM belts. 

Tomorrow, I hope to finish grinding down the openers for the horizontal cylinder to spec, remeasure and determine the closers I need and get them on the way.  Hopefully, I can be back up and running by the weekend.  I am really curious if I will notice a difference in performance or fuel economy.  If you want my two cents worth when you start your valves, contact me now that I'm so darned smart. 

vwboomer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »

I'll let ya do my S4R next time it comes due Smiley

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
WarrenJ

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:20:19 AM »

I'm not cheap but I'm not very good too!

WarrenJ

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »

Well I didn't have to replace my closer valves so I reassembled the bike, charged the battery, closed my eyes, gritted my teeth and BROOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  IT WORKS, IT SOUNDS LIKE AN ANGRY MONSTER AND IT RIPS UP THE PAVEMENT!!!!!

First ride of the season and evidentally a successful belt and valve job.  I'm still smiling!!!!   WOOHOO!!!!!!

Slimy Crud Run, Here I come!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: