Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:20:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: place to check out my bike?  (Read 3065 times)
rsoffar

« on: May 31, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »

is there anywhere in dallas that could check some issues on my bike that would be cheaper than the duc dealership?
it has developed some gnarly rattling/ticking when i let off the throttle but goes away when if i pull in the clutch....

also is there anyone that could by chance help me tighten my chain? i dont have any tools or very much motorcycle knowledge.... it seems very loose to me but im really new to bikes. what effects would a loose chain have on riding my bike?? could this be the source or my noise?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:24:03 PM by rsoffar » Logged

'00 M900s
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »

is there anywhere in dallas that could check some issues on my bike that would be cheaper than the duc dealership?
it has developed some gnarly rattling/ticking when i let off the throttle but goes away when if i pull in the clutch....

also is there anyone that could by chance help me tighten my chain? i dont have any tools or very much motorcycle knowledge.... it seems very loose to me but im really new to bikes. what effects would a loose chain have on riding my bike?? could this be the source or my noise?

Since most of the group are out strafing the curves out in the Hill Country and unashamedly reporting how much fun they are having, it is left to me to answer your question. 

If you are in the Dallas area, Randy McCarter is fast becoming the favorite wrench of the group.  There is a lot that he can do but admits that warranty work should be left to the dealers for obvious reasons and work outside of minor adjustments during the warranty period might be best left to the dealers too.  You can however twist his arm and he won't bite. 

His rates are less than AMS and he works fast enough so that he doesn't have to repeat himself.  His clock runs slow.  His one hour is generally more than your 1 hour and he rounds down to the lower quarter.  This is obviously good for you.  He doesn't mind you asking questions while he works on your bike but then again if he has to stop to answer your questions, the clock is still ticking. 

He will teach you how to check your chain tension and if you watch him and are inclined to do so, he'll teach you how to adjust your chain as well.  He won't teach you how to mess up, that you'll have to do on your own.

PM me if you want his phone number.  Hope that helps.

cdc
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:01:50 PM by cdc » Logged
LYD

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:08:39 AM »

Nicely said charles.  Randy is the way to go!!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
fastwin
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:31:41 AM »

I agree, big time! waytogo
rsoffar

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »

hey thanks for the reply...

the chain actually came off on me while i was riding and i got it put back on and tightened up and now the ticking and stuff is gone and it rides great again so i guess that was my problem.  waytogo

'00 M900s
hiero

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »

the chain actually came off on me while i was riding and i got it put back on and tightened up and now the ticking and stuff is gone and it rides great again so i guess that was my problem.  waytogo

wow, chain came off and it didn't tear a hole in your crankcase right in front of the front sprocket??? consider yourself lucky!!! 

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:43:10 AM »

the chain actually came off on me while i was riding

Holy Crap! You're OK?

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:53:18 AM »

is it just me or is no one even more amazed that you put it back on?

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »

oh, and +1 for Randy of course....great guy to do business with.  he'll be tackling some wheel/tire stuff for me actually in the coming days.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »

Wow!   Shocked

Glad to hear you're ok and not hurt after tossing the chain.  Chain adjustments/checks should be a routine pre-ride check   waytogo

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
rsoffar

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

yeah i really need to get my stuff together and learn about my bike.

when the chain came off i was just doing some drive bys in front of my friends house as we were trying to diagnose the problem so i want going fast or anything, glad it didnt happen on the freeway or something. as for it tearing a hole in the crankcase, it didnt even seem like it came off the front sprocket at all.. it was still set on it when i stopped the bike.

mckraut, is it a problem that i put the same chain back on? it didnt seem beat up or anything, but again im really new to bikes and i guess i would be sure how to tell if i needed a new one.

'00 M900s
cdc

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »

is it just me or is no one even more amazed that you put it back on?

if it went on easily, it can come off easily again.  It isn't like a bicycle chain were you can compress the chain guide/adjuster to refit a chain which has come off the gears. 

yeah i really need to get my stuff together and learn about my bike.

If you are new to bikes, how did you refit the chain and how did you adjust it to proper tension? 

is it a problem that i put the same chain back on? it didnt seem beat up or anything, but again im really new to bikes and i guess i would be sure how to tell if i needed a new one.

How old is the bike, chain, sprockets?  If they are less than 9K miles and were decently cared for, they might last awhile longer.  Any more and I would start saving for a new chain and sprocket for future upgrade.  Well cared for chains have had very long life spans while neglected ones have needed replacement in 9K miles.  Ask me why I know.

with the bike on a rear stand, turn the rear wheel and look for kinks in the chain.  the links tend not to straighten out quickly or evenly like they were tight.  the seals may be busted and that link may have rusted.  look at the teeth and see if they are not worn or unevenly worn.  the best guide is to look at a brand new sprocket and compare it to yours.  when very badly worn, it is obvious.

Your chain came loose but did not break.  If it broke, it would act like a whip and punch a hole in the engine case ahead of the front srocket.

Seriously, I would have the chain and sprocket checked by Randy and properly adjusted especially if you ride beyond "puttering around" speeds.
rsoffar

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »

well my freinds dad was the one who helped me get it back on... he has had bikes all his life and said it didnt look damaged or anything. so i got to sit there and help and learn.

i did what you said and the chain does not kink up, and when it was off we looked over the sprockets and he said they looked fine and i didnt notice any uneven wear on them.

but i will def have it looked at. thanks for all the replys

'00 M900s
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »

That's what we're here for  waytogo

Keep us posted!  [moto]

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
cdc

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »

well my freinds dad was the one who helped me get it back on... he has had bikes all his life and said it didnt look damaged or anything. so i got to sit there and help and learn.

i did what you said and the chain does not kink up, and when it was off we looked over the sprockets and he said they looked fine and i didnt notice any uneven wear on them.

but i will def have it looked at. thanks for all the replys

Good to hear that.  Why was it loose to begin with?  I take it you just bought it recently.  How old is the bike, chain?

cdc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: