Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:01:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ::Reservoir:: Replacement : Whats it take?  (Read 2146 times)
blackmilk

« on: May 31, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »

I've only had my Monster ('00 750Dark) for a few weeks now so I'm a lot new to it and what time/parts go into certain modding.  I searched and came up with nothing.  What does it take and whats involved with changing coffin-style reservoirs to cylindrical / tupperware  reservoirs? Changing the masters? What kind of costs?

-Thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:35:12 PM by blackmilk » Logged
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »

Your topic line is a little misleading - I was expecting an engine question.

As you say you need to replace the masters.  You'll need some of the sealing washers for the banjo fittings and some brake fluid for the job.  Just make sure you get the right sized masters.  Good thing is that's pretty easy since they pretty much all have the same sized clutch master, (just in different configurations) and pretty much any of the dual disc bikes will have the same sized brake masters.  So you could grab stuff from a 748, 998, Multistrada an on...

Cost will vary a good bit.  2nd hand masters from ebay or the parts section here will be a good bit less than brand new ones.  Also depends on the masters configuration/construction.  'Regular' masters will run you a lot less than a fancy billet radial set up.

For swapping them in - be ready for the mess and protect your paint.  When you disconnect the current masters you're going to be dealing with fluid leaking out until you get the new ones in place.

That leaking can be (mostly) avoided by removing as much fluid from the system as possible.  A Mighty Vac is handy for this.  The upside is less mess/worry about fluid getting on stuff.  Down side is that your going to haveto work harder at getting all the air out once you seal it back up.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
blackmilk

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:34:21 PM »

Yeah I dont know why I posted that title. I meant to put "reservoir replacement".  Just got it all switched around.

Thanks for the post, I can finally do some more research and hopefully find some replacements. 
teddy037.2
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:51:22 PM »

I went from the stock coffins to the brembo goldlines (IIRC, the ones from the 998, etc.)

when I did the swap, I completely drained the fluid (hooray gravity!), and replaced my crush washers all around before bleeding everything.

when shopping for your masters, you have to remember to get the masters, reservoirs, and mounting kits (fasteners and brackets) if you're buying new. oh, and the crush washers.

and if you go this route, and want to keep your non-bar end mirrors, you'll need to find the top mounting.. clasp... bit? that has a tapped hole for mirrors. (I also switched to barend mirrors after changing my masters)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: