Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:41:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Place to practice?  (Read 5270 times)
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

If life is a stage, you'd better let me direct.

« on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »

Hey all,

Wondering if you guys know of a good parking lot / open space to practice techniques at?  I just had a damn close call with hitting the back end of a lexus on the West Side Hwy with my rear wheel locked... managed to get it back and stop about 2 feet short... but I need to get better about that esp with a new bike on the way.  Also need to take the wife someplace where she can practice her riding skills safely before she gets out on the road.

Thanks  chug

First bike (ever): 2008 Monster 696 [now it's the wife's]
Lost to the front end of a GMC truck: 2010 Monster 1100s w/ABS [miss it!]
Currently Riding: 2013 Streetfighter 848
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »

How about Floyd Bennett Field?  I haven't been but have heard folks practice there.
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

How about Floyd Bennett Field?  I haven't been but have heard folks practice there.

That was my thought... I haven't been there either but I'm hoping it's a good spot!

GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »

I have to ask but why was your rear wheel locked?  Were you using the front and back brake at the same time?  If so that is fine but if you were just using the rear brake you want to kick that habit.  The front brakes have the stopping power.  Just trying to spread some knowledge good luck practicing and be safe.

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »

I have to ask but why was your rear wheel locked?  Were you using the front and back brake at the same time?  If so that is fine but if you were just using the rear brake you want to kick that habit.  The front brakes have the stopping power.  Just trying to spread some knowledge good luck practicing and be safe.

Yeah I was using both the front and the rear... I **think** when the weight transferred to the front the rear wheel was able to lock... I loostened up on the front to keep from locking both before finally letting both go, recovering grip, and getting back on them to stop short.  I went back and checked my skid mark tonight and it was only about 4ft long.... Felt like forever in the moment.  I used both the way the MSF course taught me, but in reading today about breaking it seems their 75/25 rule is dangerously off the mark in terms of sport(ish) bikes today.  Working on practicing tapered breaking now and hopefully i can get my muscle instincts up to snuff.  I'm soon getting an 1100 w ABS but i hope to never need it if i can increase my skills.

Thank you for your thoughts, keep em coming!  I'll take all the knowledge i can get, it's cheaper than hospital bills Wink

GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:30:39 AM »

If you want some good reading i highly recommend total control by lee parks.  It is my bible when it comes to technique, twist of the wrist is good also.  You have to let us now how the 1100 with ABS is when you get it. And your right on the MSF they teach you things but a lot of it isn't correct for a modern sportbike.  The front brake split is more like 90/10.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:32:05 AM by GLantern » Logged

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
TrpprJhn

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:50:37 AM »

I can attest to Floydd Bennett Field. Great place to practice. WIDE open. Getting out there on the Belt however, can be daunting for a noob.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »

There is a section of the field where you can drop a knee at 40mph, which is pretty cool

Belt parkway is uhhh. well lets just say being able to commute in NYC without fear makes you better than 50% of the riders out there. Its not easy to deal with this kinda crap...drivers and road.

Dont be to technical and tyring to break down your skid marks etc. if your rear is already skidding and yoru intention is to come to a full stop, keep your foot on it, and pay attention to what the front wheel is telling you. Some different brake pads will help you too  in terms of feel.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »

There is a section of the field where you can drop a knee at 40mph, which is pretty cool

Belt parkway is uhhh. well lets just say being able to commute in NYC without fear makes you better than 50% of the riders out there. Its not easy to deal with this kinda crap...drivers and road.

Dont be to technical and tyring to break down your skid marks etc. if your rear is already skidding and yoru intention is to come to a full stop, keep your foot on it, and pay attention to what the front wheel is telling you. Some different brake pads will help you too  in terms of feel.

Oh man... yeah I've driven the Belt Pkwy a few times... beautiful but man people are idiots -- nothing new there. 

Thanks about the braking... that's pretty much what happened.  I think in the end I could have been harder on the front but my instincts were trying not to lock both of them and drop the bike.  New pads are already on order!  And I'm a lot less shaken up about it today.  coffee

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »

where did you get your pads from?

Ca-Cycleworks has a nice chart on feel/dust/power etc. its pretty accurate IMHO. ive tried 2 different ones on their list and right now run ferodo platniums front and rear.

Belt parkway is nasty once you pass ceasars bay. its so make the beast with two backsing wrecked.

and the BQE...uhh lets not even go there, its free for all there.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
beancounter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »

you can also try the parking lot at Riis Park...check out the image on google maps...it's huge!

note, it is a bridge away from floydd bennet field...

Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »

where did you get your pads from?

Ca-Cycleworks has a nice chart on feel/dust/power etc. its pretty accurate IMHO. ive tried 2 different ones on their list and right now run ferodo platniums front and rear.

Belt parkway is nasty once you pass ceasars bay. its so make the beast with two backsing wrecked.

and the BQE...uhh lets not even go there, its free for all there.

Oh I didn't go all that fancy with it.  I just got some new pads to replace the thinning ones on the 696 (got generics from BikeBandit with the AMA discount).  I'm getting the 1100S in less than two weeks, but I want to make sure the brakes work on the 696 for the wifey!

Thanks beancounter, that looks awesome!  I'll be checking out both places soon before taking the wife to them to check them out. 

RE: BQE... man... tell me about it.  I ride it daily and it's an adventure every time.  I'm right off the Prospect Expwy.  I got the EZpass working recently so I've been taking the battery tunnel which saves me so much time... but the stretch between the tunnel and Prospect is INSANE at the moment... especially northbound... it's been almost a year of horrible traffic-screwing construction!

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »

im poor. 20 mins vs 5 bucks. nah, ill take the free way 3rd ave onto atlantic cross the bridge.  and a 5 minute ride across the fdr onto the west side.

Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:10:21 AM »

im poor. 20 mins vs 5 bucks. nah, ill take the free way 3rd ave onto atlantic cross the bridge.  and a 5 minute ride across the fdr onto the west side.

Ahh.  You taking the Manhattan bridge then?  Seems like an interesting route to try -- I normally go BQE to Brooklyn Bridge, Park Row exit, straight shot to West Side Hwy.  Not sure which will be faster, I'll have to try your way soon.

Yeah I try to take the long way unless I'm running short or the wife wants to go in / come home.  With the EZpass btw the tunnel is only $2 for motorcycles.  Cheaper than a subway fare but still easy to blow through $60 in a month if you get comfortable with it.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »

Ahh.  You taking the Manhattan bridge then?  Seems like an interesting route to try -- I normally go BQE to Brooklyn Bridge, Park Row exit, straight shot to West Side Hwy.  Not sure which will be faster, I'll have to try your way soon.

Yeah I try to take the long way unless I'm running short or the wife wants to go in / come home.  With the EZpass btw the tunnel is only $2 for motorcycles.  Cheaper than a subway fare but still easy to blow through $60 in a month if you get comfortable with it.

i take brooklyn to get to FDR, i didnt know it was only $2bucks for bikes...that makes it worth it..... i always thought it was $5.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: