Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:37:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

CA-Cycleworks

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster Fuel Tank ... finally!! :-)  (Read 8093 times)
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« on: April 20, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »

Just when we thought it was ok to sell the MTT tanks and push them, we found a change needed to be made. At the same time, 2 of the fittings that we thought were ok decided to start leaking.  Tongue Embarrassed Well that was annoying! One of the leaks was from the big fitting for the "carb'd" version of the tank. We tried a few things with the plastics plant and with the fittings themselves, but nothing worked. Meaning: carby people will need to buy one of our fuel plates.

The change we did was HUGE ... made a new fuel flange area and had it welded into the tank. It also had to have the angle changed as the carb'd 900 has the least engine to tank clearance. So our change moved the tank away from the head and there is now more than 1/2" clearance.

The final leak actually wasn't our fault. The manufacturer changed to a rubber fuel hose for the filler-drain. This is an internal passageway that goes to the bottom of the tank from the filler cap area. The PEX didn't bond to the rubber and the tank would eventually develop a super-slow leak from around the outside of the brass insert at the bottom of the tank.

This was something I thought was long solved... well, it was. We got them to go back to a PE plastic pipe. Our PEX bonds to the PE pipe upon manufacture, making a seal. We also tried a metal pipe thinking that it would get fully coated with plastic. As it turns out, the metal pipe needs active heating, as there isn't enough heat transfer from the outside of the mold, so plastic only sticks to 3 inches at either end. We've got one of these tanks in and will test it anyway.

So far, I got the fuel light to come on and then rode another 25 miles. The bike wouldn't start on the sidestand, but would when propped up to riding position. When I filled it up, I put in 3.7 gallons. The next tests will be to determine how much fuel gets used until the fuel light and also remaining capacity after the fuel light comes on.

Now for the exciting part...
I never really cared for the black tanks, as my Mosnter is a red / white S2R. Well, these test tanks only came in black, so I stuck it on the bike. Then I noticed that the half fairing was out of place (being red and all), so I took it off. And BAM, my bike looks good. It's a nice feeling to be a long time addict and suddenly be surprised and excited by my bike.

It's kind of like the best of all classic Monsters with a modern twist.

Pics: (link to pic gallery)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:51:53 AM by chris » Logged

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
faolan01

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:46:05 AM »

loving the look of the tank!
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »

Fuel light first flickered at 123 miles... went steady at 127 miles.

The engine started to sputter at 150 miles and shortly lost power. So I pull in the clutch, unlatch the tank, and lift the front of the tank. Now I get a surge of power and can keep going 65~70 mph. I'm shaking the tank up and down at the front to keep my speed going to the exit for the shop...

... I hit the off ramp and throw the kill switch and coast down to the light. When it turns, I fire the bike up and get enough juice to go a block and turn into our parking lot. I made it to the shop with tripmeter showing 153 miles.

Now to see if I can limp it up to the gas station and fill it up.  Evil Roll Eyes laughingdp

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »

So I pull in the clutch, unlatch the tank, and lift the front of the tank. Now I get a surge of power and can keep going 65~70 mph. I'm shaking the tank up and down at the front to keep my speed going to the exit for the shop...

you milked the tank for the residual fuel?

RAMBO

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Fuel light report:
Since the tank-lifting ride, I have twice now had the fuel light come on. The next time was at 122 miles. Fillup was at 130 miles and 3.6 gallons.

Today, the fuel light first flashed at 130 miles and went solid at 131 miles.

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »

Went out in the canyons Sunday for a good, long ride. So today going in to work, the fuel light came on at an amazing 148 miles!! I'll fill it up later and see how much fuel it takes (should be 3.5 gallons).

Kirk Allen

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:17:43 AM »

Hi Chris, do you know where i could find a superbike looking front fender like the one on your bike to fit the forks of an S2R800?  Great job on the tank BTW, looks awesome.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »

Heheh, it literally IS a Superbike fender. Smiley Was from a 916 Ducati. Go grab this one on eBay. Smiley

Yeah ... It kinda bugs me how the Monster fender lets bugs and crap get on the forks, which helps them to rust, which helps them to pit, which helps them to cut your fork seals...

Kirk Allen

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:54 AM »

Thanks man, i didnt realize it was a straight fit.   chug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: