Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 07:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Spring '08 HC "Close Calls" thread  (Read 5519 times)
MurDuc

2003 M1000S

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »

Damn hiero.   Sad
Sorry to here about that. Glad it was very minor.

Master of Suds / LSD - Department of Hooliganism
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »

The Sunday morning riders, myself, Hiero, ScottDeux, Desmolu, DucDood, & Chipo were 1st arrivals on an accident. A very young man with his GF in back.
Looks like he didn't make a right-hander, low sided into the rocks on the other side of the road. Helmets, but jeans, tennies, no jackets or gloves.
The guy had bad rash on 1 knee & elbow, and probably a broken wrist.
His GF was breathing & conscious, but not moving. Broken left elbow, severe pain in the middle of her back, & no feeling that we could tell in her legs.
Fortunately DucDood had cell phone service, but it took the ambulance over 30 minutes to make the 10 miles from Leakey.
We got out of the way once she was loaded in the ambulance. I think CareFlight was on its way.
Very sad. I hope they're OK.

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
never2loud
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »

Wow, very sad indeed  Cry
MurDuc

2003 M1000S

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »

The Sunday morning riders, myself, Hiero, ScottDeux, Desmolu, DucDood, & Chipo were 1st arrivals on an accident. A very young man with his GF in back.
Looks like he didn't make a right-hander, low sided into the rocks on the other side of the road. Helmets, but jeans, tennies, no jackets or gloves.
The guy had bad rash on 1 knee & elbow, and probably a broken wrist.
His GF was breathing & conscious, but not moving. Broken left elbow, severe pain in the middle of her back, & no feeling that we could tell in her legs.
Fortunately DucDood had cell phone service, but it took the ambulance over 30 minutes to make the 10 miles from Leakey.
We got out of the way once she was loaded in the ambulance. I think CareFlight was on its way.
Very sad. I hope they're OK.

Yes,
Reported to me today, by one of the cruiser guys who was out on Sunday. They saw the CareFlight taking off on their ride.  Sad

Master of Suds / LSD - Department of Hooliganism
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »

Just wanted to add that everyone who went by slowed down or stopped or turned around to offer assistance. A family stopped & offered cold water to everyone, & had ice to put on broken bones & road rash.
Faith in humanity restored  waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
LYD

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »

Did you tell them about the womens pads?? Sorry to hear about that, but glad it was not one of us!!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
Ronr

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »

I had a stinging insect fly into my helmet and sow its wild oats into my chin.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »

I had a stinging insect fly into my helmet and sow its wild oats into my chin.

So did Duke... 'cept he wasn't wearing a helmet.

svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »

close calls:

1) was RIGHT BEHIND L'Smart when he slid the rear in gravel hot into the turn.  he flailed his arm around, and I thought he was pointing at the gravel, to which I mentally yelled back at him "no sh!t, I was right on your right butt cheek when you slid!!", but it turns out that the slide and recovery actually wrenched his arm.  no bueno.

2) a few times drifting to centerline and slipping on some yellow stripies...  no bueno.

3) a few times exiting a turn hot to see L'Smart slamming on the brakes and checking his mirror to see if everyone was catching up....  er...  Ron and I were RIGHT ON YOUR TAIL!!!  no bueno.

4) life probably saved by scott mid turn when he slammed on his brakes honking at several deer wandering into the road...  me too close again, sliding by scott on the right side while pounding my brakes, crapping my pants, and remembering that Ron was right on my butt with no rear brake.  no bueno.

5) several flubbed turns.  mas o menos.

6) one BADLY flubbed turn with scott right on my tail, and me braking rather unexpectedly.  no bueno.  L'Smart was not L'Amused.

7) turkey vulture flies up from road side in front of me.  I duck down, still not low enough, hang off side of bike, and feel birdy touch helmet on his escape...  NO FREAKIN' BUENO.

other than that, some normal butt clenching on eagles' pass, but all in all, a VERY fun ride!!!

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »

- First ride in the evening when we got there, first corner, I was tired and hadn't gotten much sleep, distracted and promptly fixated on the railing. Had to remember to wrench my eyes away moments before I ran off road... - Ay caramba!

- Almost dropped my bike 3 times whilst experimenting with my monster's off road capabilities in the gravel road - No bueno at all

- When riding Desmolu's bike with her on the back, rolling into stop in gravel I hit the rear braske as I usually would on my monster. BAD IDEA. Her rear brake had a lot more pad on it than mine. Rear locks up and steps out a good foot. I manage to regain control and try to save a little face in front of everybody.  bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head

Apart from that, the usual oh nuts! moments with rocks in my line and nothing really serious  Grin

Ronr

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »

close calls:

1) ..... it turns out that the slide and recovery actually wrenched his arm.  no bueno.

I forgot about that.  After his slide and miraculous recovery, I saw him shaking his left arm/hand assembly like he hurt it, but I was pretty sure it was his right hand that had been injured recently.  Couldn't tell what had happened.  Nothing serious I hope.

I remember you said you saw L'Smart ass growing large rather quickly on a couple of occasions.  I've seen McCain ass do that before, and it wasn't pretty  Shocked
DesmoLu
If only he'd had a

"You're like a stray wild animal" -- my ex

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »

close calls:

1) was RIGHT BEHIND L'Smart when he slid the rear in gravel hot into the turn.  he flailed his arm around, and I thought he was pointing at the gravel, to which I mentally yelled back at him "no sh!t, I was right on your right butt cheek when you slid!!", but it turns out that the slide and recovery actually wrenched his arm.  no bueno.

2) a few times drifting to centerline and slipping on some yellow stripies...  no bueno.

3) a few times exiting a turn hot to see L'Smart slamming on the brakes and checking his mirror to see if everyone was catching up....  er...  Ron and I were RIGHT ON YOUR TAIL!!!  no bueno.

4) life probably saved by scott mid turn when he slammed on his brakes honking at several deer wandering into the road...  me too close again, sliding by scott on the right side while pounding my brakes, crapping my pants, and remembering that Ron was right on my butt with no rear brake.  no bueno.

5) several flubbed turns.  mas o menos.

6) one BADLY flubbed turn with scott right on my tail, and me braking rather unexpectedly.  no bueno.  L'Smart was not L'Amused.

7) turkey vulture flies up from road side in front of me.  I duck down, still not low enough, hang off side of bike, and feel birdy touch helmet on his escape...  NO FREAKIN' BUENO.

other than that, some normal butt clenching on eagles' pass, but all in all, a VERY fun ride!!!

Svoloch, I love your style of writing. make the beast with two backsing hilarious. I nominate you for writing the anals next time.

cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 07:43:53 AM »

when we got to Houston, after more than 4 hours on the highway, a mile away from the dropoff point can you guess what happened?

Yup, one of the tiedowns failed and dropped Hiero's bike onto it's side.. Thankfully, it fell onto the trailer itself and no mayor damage ocurred...

but still  Angry Shocked Sad Cry Undecided

just curious, how many straps were on his bike and how were they tied down (two front straps pulling forward and two rear straps pulling rearward)?

cdc
hiero

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 08:17:27 AM »

just curious, how many straps were on his bike and how were they tied down (two front straps pulling forward and two rear straps pulling rearward)?

cdc

yup

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 05:11:57 PM »

yup

Way back when, some told me to route all straps forward so if one snaps or loosens the three others will still hold the bike in place. 

cdc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: