Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:19:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial Day Thanks  (Read 848 times)
muskrat

« on: May 31, 2010, 06:51:41 AM »

For those currently serving, in the past and in the future.  I personally thank you on my behalf and all those who know how great this Country truly is.

The first Memorial Day was on May 30th, 1868. It was called "Decoration Day," and was created by civil war general, John Logan. Gen. John Logan wanted the day to help mend the relationship between the North and the South after the Civil War.

Why did he choose May 30th? Gen. John Logan chose May 30th for two reasons. The first being that it was a day that no Civil war battles took place on, and second, he thought that flowers would be in bloom all over The United States.

Memorial Day has been celebrated for over 100 years, but it wasn't until 1971 that it became an official holiday.

Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours. -Wallace Bruce

A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. -Joseph Campbell

The patriot's blood is the seed of Freedom's tree. -Thomas Campbell
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:53:30 AM by muskrat » Logged

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
fastwin
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:09:30 AM »

waytogo  Just had our neighborhood parade and will head off to the block party in a half hour or so. After the parade everyone meets up in a neighboring church parking lot to recognize all the vets that live in the neighborhood. Some folks who live in the neighborhood bring their parents (elder vets) that don't live here and they all seem to appreciate the recognition. Our city councilman always shows and gives a speach and the Scouts lead the parade carrying flags. Even Congressman Pete Sessions attended this year!

All cool stuff. Makes me proud to be an American and live in this part of town! I second the Memorial Day thanks!! applause bow down
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:16:35 AM »

+3 Thanks!!!
TresGatos

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »

God bless America!

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: