Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:26:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 500 miles on my new Ducati and proud except....  (Read 1480 times)
Mars

Throw open the gates of Mars!

« on: June 06, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »

Ok, after the first 500 miles my Ducati monster takes my breath away and she's a keeper! I went to PJ's yesterday to dress up Misses M. with a new set of pipes. She can't wait to go in for her appointment with Dr. Ducati, and I can't wait to hear her new-found roar bring sweet music to my ears. However, I have one small glitch, instead of riding her in for my appontment, it appears that the ride will be by trailer. Before leaving PJ's I started her up as I normally do shifting from neutral to first gear and thats when she attempted to buck me off like a wild horse! Anyway, I get into first gear and thought maybe this a hiccup or a growing pain in our new relationship. I really didn't think much of it, brought her home and parked in the garage as usual. Then to my horror this morning as a I went to the garage to look her over (as I always do) she was bleeding clutch fluid from the cable all over my floor. Then, to make matters worse I observed what appeared to be clutch fluid that sprayed and drizzled all over her, probably due to the windy ride home on I-40. After wiping her down and all around the mystery of the clutch episode remains disturbing. I guess these things happen in life, but she'll be getting more than new pipes when she goes in to Dr. Ducati at PJ's! In the meantime, the withdrawls of not riding her today are shaky at best. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing on a new bike? I own a couple other makes and models, but this is a first. I am starting to wonder if this 100 degree+ weather has caused her to rupture an artery? Any thoughts? Still love her.

"Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another."
Homer
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

Don't sweat it too bad, Mars.  Ducati's stock clutch slaves are notoriously poor.  I've never heard of one going out in the first five hundred miles, but failure is not uncommon.  Just have PJ's repair it under warranty and you're good as gold.

Be sure to clean the hell out of everything that got brake fluid on it, though.  That stuff eats the paint on the frame, motor, and anything else it lays upon for long.  Flush the affected areas WELL!

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
Mars

Throw open the gates of Mars!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »

Thanks for the reassurance Cloner, I'm sure PJ's will take care of me, they have since day one when I bought the bike. They are a very impressive & helpful staff! PJ has a great team! I'll make sure there is no residual fluid on the bike, thanks for the history on the Ducati stock clutch slave and advice.

"Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another."
Homer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: