Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 06:02:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMS 6/7 track day report  (Read 2663 times)
webspoke

« on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:48 AM »

I've been waiting for awesome pro photos showing us dragging elbows and sliding sideways, but have not seen them yet, so a more descriptive report will have to do.   Much like our last 2 AMS track day attempts, the day started with some rain, but it dried off fast for once, only a small delay before the groups started.

Once JV got us past all the red(yellow) tape....

We started with a classroom session with Jeff for the novice group, then out for a lead follow session.  I got to follow Marty on the MS1200 - annoying to see something that big go so fast  bang head   Nice small turnout, so the sessions were pretty open.  Another light shower during lunch, but the 1098R's all went out and dried it off for us  [moto].

UJ gearing up to hit it again....

Knee sliders are still pristine (I do see one tiny scuff on the right, surely form the curb at little bend) but had lots of fun leaning the bike harder than I dare on the street.  Really appreciated  the coaching from AMS crew.  They did a nice job of being there when we needed it, and the video feedback was cool.  No mechanicals or incidents for us, and we left going faster than we started, so it was a great day  waytogo

Streetfighter 1098S
CajunR

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:26:35 AM »

Very cool.  chug  I so need to get out to one of these...

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:44:52 AM »

Very cool.  chug  I so need to get out to one of these...

Same here--last two I planned to attend had to be canceled, and I could not get out of work this week....

Glad you all got some track time in between the rain.  waytogo
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »

damn i look good. (make the beast with two backsin' wind got the best of those yellow wrist bands though)

Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »

Cannot believe I missed this one  bang head  Very cool to get an update tho.  Glad everyone had a good time  waytogo
CajunR

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »

Alright... here's a couple of FNG questions:

This is at Cresson correct?  Can anyone point me to their gear and bike requirements (full leathers, taped lights, safety wire, etc)?  I can't find it anywhere on their site...  bang head

webspoke

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »

For gear, it was 1 or 2 piece leathers (at least for the novice/beginners group). Gauntlet golves, boots.  There may also be rental gear available from AMS.

For the bike, it was taped lights/mirrors.  No leaks, basic chain/brake inspection.  No safety wire or coolant changes required.  We had the same setup for the Lonestar track day as well.

Streetfighter 1098S
UnionJill

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »

Knee sliders are still pristine (I do see one tiny scuff on the right, surely form the curb at little bend) but had lots of fun leaning the bike harder than I dare on the street.  Really appreciated  the coaching from AMS crew.  They did a nice job of being there when we needed it, and the video feedback was cool.  No mechanicals or incidents for us, and we left going faster than we started, so it was a great day  waytogo

I think I saw you put a knee down...  when you were checking tire pressures...   cheeky

Seriously...  had a great time.   waytogo  It was good doing a second one so closely following the first; picked up where the first one ended.  Got a lot of laps just to work/think through things and with the help of everyone I left going much faster than when I started.   [moto]

Called it quits early; I guess I was working a bit harder this time moving on the bike, because I was just wore out.  Decided to put it on the trailer instead of picking up bad habits...

Can't wait for the fall...

'06 Triumph 675 Daytona

"Death steals everything except for our stories"
      Jim Harrison (In Search of Small Gods)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »

1 or 2 piece (zip together required, no separates) leathers. No Textile period for our track days.

Bikes must have properly functioning throttle return, no leaks or evidence thereof, taped headlights and turn signals, mirrors. Brake/Chain Inspection, Tire Inspection - low mileage performance tires (my pilot roads = maybe not passing tech, but may be allowed with heavy warning as to lack of traction relative to other tires - PR's are hard as concrete), General inspection of hydraulic lines and frame/triples/swingarm for issues (cracks, kinks, etc).

This isn't a CMRA race, so no safety wire or anything. Very simple and easy to pass tech with a stock Ducati.

The general plan is always: Show up to track to register/check-in and verify payment between 7:30-8:30. Must have bikes through Tech-Inspec by 9:15. Rider's meeting at 9:30a. First group (expert) on track at 10a. Beginner group in classroom at 10a. Lunch is an hour long break, typically happening around noon. Sessions are approximately 20m each.

Our next big group track day will be on Sept. 13th. We will have member days (small group) on the track before then that I can talk to folks about as well.

- JV @ AMS.

Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »

September?!  Cry 

Please shoot me a PM when you guys are planning on going out to Cresson again.
CajunR

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »

1 or 2 piece (zip together required, no separates) leathers....
- JV @ AMS.

Thanks!   waytogo

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:50:15 PM »

September?!  Cry 

Please shoot me a PM when you guys are planning on going out to Cresson again.

i heard ya. i'll definitely keep you informed. I'm hoping, praying, and wishing that the 966 SBK will be ready to play on by then.

bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »

Glad you guys had a great time and the weather cooperated for the track day.  Hopefully by the time the next one come up I'll have time to play.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 02:33:07 AM »

I've ridden lots of track days in textiles, no problem as long as they are 1 piece or zip in.  Unless that's changed, have not been on the track in over a year...

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 05:39:22 AM »

i heard ya. i'll definitely keep you informed. I'm hoping, praying, and wishing that the 966 SBK will be ready to play on by then.

I wonder if MSR could institute "summer hours"?  You know, track opens at 5:30am...  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: