Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 02:15:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Va "Slow Down, Move Over" Law expanded  (Read 1824 times)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »

"Va. law now includes tow truck drivers and maintenance crews
By KATHY BANKS
Updated 8:46 PM EDT, Tue, Jul 20, 2010

Print Share Buzz up!
retweet
0diggsdigg

Getty Images

If you notice a police car pulled off to the side of the highway with its siren or lights on, you're legally obligated to either move one lane farther away or slow down.

That’s been the law in Virginia for five years.

Well, hear this: On July 1, the General Assembly expanded the so-called “Slow Down, Move Over” law to protect other workers as well. The law now covers tow truck drivers and highway maintenance workers at the side of the road.

If changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, then just slow down.

So how are you supposed to know -- for sure -- if a vehicle falls under the law?

Check out the lights.

Blue and red lights are used on police, fire and rescue vehicles, and amber lights are used on tow trucks and highway maintenance vehicles. If the lights are flashing you must – that’s right – slow down and move over."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Slow-Down-Move-Over-Law-Amended-98876529.html

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:07 AM »

FYI gang, a similar MD law went into effect Oct 1. The MD one doesn't include highway workers or tow trucks, but that may be coming.

So basically if you're any place near DC, move over a lane or slow down if you can't move over when you see flashers on the shoulder.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:23:36 AM by yuu » Logged

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
ducati culture

My freedom is worth my life and my soul..........

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »

I can tell you from my drive to LA.. I was pulled over in ummm Texas  or New Mexico for the very same thing.  I was blessed with a warning and this I am sure was only because I had a DC permit otherwise I would have received a ticket.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »

They also need to pass a "STFU and Drive" and a "Don't Be A Stupid Soccer Mom when Driving a Minivan" law.

oh yeah, and a "Chew Your Food" law and a "Wipe Your Goddam Feet When You Come In, I Just Mopped The Floor" law.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

Out of curiosity, why would a person NOT do this anyway? I mean, besides being "common" courtesy, you're leaving more space between your moving vehicle and a stationary object.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »

Out of curiosity, why would a person NOT do this anyway? I mean, besides being "common" courtesy, you're leaving more space between your moving vehicle and a stationary object.

people can be stupid and over-estimate their driving abilities. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »

In an ideal world, people would. But around here it can be tough. People jammed cheek to jowel and up your keister at over the speed limit and make it difficult or impossible to safely clear away things like that. Sucks, but that's how it can be here. There are a lot of overly self absorbed drivers...

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »

In an ideal world, people would. But around here it can be tough. People jammed cheek to jowel and up your keister at over the speed limit and make it difficult or impossible to safely clear away things like that. Sucks, but that's how it can be here. There are a lot of overly self absorbed drivers...

In traffic, I can understand not necessarily being able to get over, and even slowing down being an issue. But in traffic that heavy, I don't really see it being energetically enforced.

What was the traffic like when you got pulled over in Texas, ducati culture? 

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: