Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:26:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: June 6th 1944  (Read 5118 times)
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Sinister

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »

What a day.  My neighbor parachuted into France during the night, as well as into Holland during MarketGarden (I think), and maybe Italy.  I always make sure I'm extra courteous to him, when I see him.  make the beast with two backsing heroes, those guys are.  Hundreds, maybe thousands, of WWII vets are dying each day.

"...but without a smiley, some people might think that sentence makes you look like a homophobic, inbred prick. I'm mean, it might leave the impression that you're a  douchebag or a dickhead, or maybe you need to get your head out of your ass."  DrunkenMonkey

"...any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one." - Marcus Luttrell
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »

I'm sure it's not 100 accurate.... but if you ever get the chance.... watch "the longest day"

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
abby normal

jesus is coming ... look busy!

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »

i had forgotten ... thanks for the reminder.  my grandfather was one of that generation.

great depression / WWII / Korea ... he experienced and overcame hardship that i can't even imagine.

i've always wondered how I / we would have responded in those situations.

1990 851 bp
2004 S4R
1997 YZF 1000R
1987 NT650
2010 BMW s1000rr
2013 848 evo corse se
Sinister

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:02:55 PM »

I'm sure it's not 100 accurate.... but if you ever get the chance.... watch "the longest day"

I own it, baby. waytogo  I also own the book, which the movie is based on.  It's a fairly accurate representation, as I recall.

"...but without a smiley, some people might think that sentence makes you look like a homophobic, inbred prick. I'm mean, it might leave the impression that you're a  douchebag or a dickhead, or maybe you need to get your head out of your ass."  DrunkenMonkey

"...any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one." - Marcus Luttrell
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »

If you ever get a chance, go see the beaches at Normandy and the American and German cemeteries nearby.  It all has a very particular feeling there, and the terrain by the beach is all grass but has mounds and craters.

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
kriswhite_23505

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »

If anybody ever has the chance visit the U.S. Marine Museum at Quantico. They have a mock boat like the one pictured with a video and incredible sound effects that simulate the storm of Normandy. I served in the Navy but can't even imagine what it was like to be part of this intial wave of incredibly brave men. They should all be truly recognized as heros.
Ohmic

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »

The Greatest Generation. A term well earned in my book.
I used to work in a nursing home while i was going to collage. We had some WWII vets there. I would make time during my lunch hour to spend time with them. We would sit and just BS and crack jokes. They liked that. These guys had some great stories with very viable insights to life in general. I think they taught me more then what collage did during the years spent there. Real life heroes  waytogo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:04:47 PM by Ohmic » Logged

'It's NOT a Harley... It's a Ducati!'

Bike#1: 2002 Ducati MH900e #1801
Bike#2: 2006 Ducati Monster S2R1000
Bike#3: 2006 Ducati Sport1000
Bike#4: 2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100
Betty Rage
it's a bird! it's a plane! No, it's a

hater

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »

If you ever get a chance, go see the beaches at Normandy and the American and German cemeteries nearby.  It all has a very particular feeling there, and the terrain by the beach is all grass but has mounds and craters.

I've been there. It's pretty amazing. there is definitely a "feeling" there.

Darkhorse den mother
DRKWNG
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »

I've been there. It's pretty amazing. there is definitely a "feeling" there.

+ 1 million!!  I had the luxury and honor to make it to the beaches of Normandy on several occasions when I was posted in Europe.  The first time I went there was simply amazing!  A friend and myself drove overnight from Paris (we slept for a few hours in a lay-by) and got there just before dawn.  We made our way down the coast hitting each one of the beaches that took part in the invasion.  The sun was just starting to come up when we got to Sword and I had goose bumps all over my skin.  There was a heavy fog over the water and several of the local farmers were out working their fields in their tractors.  The fog masked the direction of the sound and you could almost believe it was the sound of the landing boats making their way onto shore. 

I also had the honor of being there for a few promotions, one of my own (June 6th, 2006) included.  The locals there are simply amazing!  You always hear stories of how the French hate Americans, but you definitely do not see that sentiment there!!  We had elderly Frenchmen coming up to us with tears in their eyes any time we were there in our uniforms.  We would usually be invited in to any cafe, and sometimes peoples homes, for a coffee or cake as well.  The time I spent traveling around and seeing the sights of these momentous occasions, and meeting the people that took part in them, is something that I will cherish up to my grave.
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »

The greatest people of that time, thanx for the reminder

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jdubbs32584
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 06:37:53 AM »

My uncle, 82nd airborne, was one of few chosen to participate in the reenactment jump in 1994. The pictures are amazing.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

If you ever want to have your heart wrenched, give the latest Ken Burns film a watch. It's called 'The War,' and is absolutely incredible.
http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
spolic

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

Thank you for the reminder.  I sent my flag at half staff.

He man, where are all the ads?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: