Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:04:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Service  (Read 1955 times)
J_Allan

« on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:39 AM »

Coming up to my first service - a few questions:

Who are my options around town for getting this done by certified Ducati mechs? Recommendations?

What price point should I expect for a 2010 Monster 696?

Can I change the oil myself and bring the price down?

It's been a fun 600+ mi, good times! I'm looking forward to opening her up a lil' more and taking more liberties with the revs after service.

[moto]
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:26:08 AM »

ducati MPLS.  ask them about the oil change.  I would guess you can do it yourself but maybe they need to say they did it to insure warenty.(?) As far as price I have no idea; I think it includes a valve adjustment, belt adjustment, oil change, and a general bolt checkover.  So it depends on if you need shims, filter, the oil put in it, fluids topped off, etc.  Duc Mpls. are very honest and i wouldn't bring any of my race bikes to anyone else.  they do all of my bikes work now. bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
minnesotamonster

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »

If it's just the 600 mile service you won't need to worry about valves or belts. I believe it's just an oil change, bolt check and a general once over.  Should be around a couple hundred bucks. I think there's s pretty good thread about the service charges for the 696 in the tech section.

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »

Here is the REAL ducati maintenance for a 696 taken direct from the shop manual.

Engine oil
Engine oil filter
Clutch and brake fluid levels
Check tire pressure
Check brake pads
check chain tension & lube
Road Test
^ is this work $200?

I just did this all myself and saved the money.. There is not bolt checking or valve checking according to the dealer shop manual. Just fluid checking and tire checking. Took me 30 minutes including the oil change.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:18:07 AM by Veloce-Fino » Logged

Is this thing on?
minnesotamonster

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »

Is it worth $200? Not in my opinion, like you said can be done in a half hour by yourself. But the shops certainly think it is. The only issue I'd be worried about is what atomic brought up about retaining the warranty since you'd be doing it yourself instead of the dealer.

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
J_Allan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »

Ya - that's the line I'm trying to walk - keep the warranty in order, and do as much as I can solo. Very comfy doing all the things listed in the first service myself, just want to be certain my (ducs) are in a row w/ the warranty.  laughingdp

And, those guys are bastids for making the wrench icon only removeable with the right mech gear. Tricksy.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »

Ya - that's the line I'm trying to walk - keep the warranty in order, and do as much as I can solo. Very comfy doing all the things listed in the first service myself, just want to be certain my (ducs) are in a row w/ the warranty.  laughingdp

And, those guys are bastids for making the wrench icon only removeable with the right mech gear. Tricksy.

Yea, I still have the wrench icon on.. 3k miles I just ignore it.

As far as warranty claims. Technically in the US it is illegal for a manufacturer to deny a claim because service was not performed by a certified mechanic. You are allowed to get your service done by anyone you choose. There is a guy on here who knows all about the legal stuff due to personal experience. So basically do whatever you want Smiley

Is this thing on?
erik822

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »

Ducati Minneapolis is a great place. If you decide not to do the service yourself give them a call and find out how much they charge. It might not be $200.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: