Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:28:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Ediquette  (Read 2768 times)
Smokescreen

« on: June 06, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »

I don't know that this has been posted but i was wondering, what do my SoCal neighbors consider proper twisty ediquette? 

Today I was riding the Crest at the speed limit (+/- 25mph) and went into a blind right only to find a Subaru STI totally in my lane squaring up for a head-on collision!  He swerved when he saw me, which means we got within feet of each-other. 

AFTER....  I swallowed my balls, and gently plucked my leathers out from my colon (thank God i didn't panic brake!), I finished getting the Nuke's and asked if anyone knew who they were... No luck there, maybe some devine intervention in that regard, as I'd be in jail if I'd seen them again.  But as I vented to my fellow riders at the top of the hill, it brought up the question, 'what do people consider good ediquette'? 

Personally I think if you cross the double yellow, you are in over your head.  You should slow down, or go to the track.  But riding on public roads in the oncoming lane is only appropriate for passing when there is plenty of forward visibilty.  NOT for pretending to have any clue about apexing corners (which any competent driver/rider should be able to do in their own lane).... 

Anyhow...  Speak up!  What's yer thinkin?!

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
joekarati

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:00:27 AM »

It's not a race track, so slow the make the beast with two backs down and enjoy the ride.
Rip it when you can see clearly, otherwise be prepared for the following:
     Rocks, Sand, Cars, Bicyclists, Slower Cruisers, Hikers, Faster or Dangerous Squids, Squirrels, Bunnies, Water, Oil, Anti-freeze, Cops, Tickets.
Don't be an asshole and cross the double yellow to tighten or loosen your line, we (DMF'ers) seriously NEVER do this. IF we do, we consider that we have blown the turn, and have made a mistake...besides, it's illegal... Grin
Pass cruisers and cars when you are ready, never take their word (signal) for it.
Allow people to pass you on their terms, do not get distracted or deviate off your line to assist them, let them figure it out.
Slow down around areas with driveways and intersections (Malibu is a good example of how you can get killed riding balls out in a residential).
Get to the track for a track day to understand how deadly the Street can be.

OK, I have to give up my "Daditude" this morning and get on the bike...'33' here I come!

jc

There's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »

Joe's pretty much nailed it.

I've had most of my close calls of that variety on the crest.

I've been in a fast left sweeper and had an oncoming pickup be 3 feet over the DY.
Been in a fast, blind right, to find a car stopped in the lane waiting to make a left turn over to a scenic overlook.
I've been passed by another rider on the *outside*, entering a left.
In my truck, I was passed by a minivan in the middle of a blind right. A kid in the van was standing between the front seats.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
joekarati

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »

Oh yeah,

Wave to cars that make your life easy (passing).
Ignore squids that ride in tee-shirts and shorts (or just shake your head).
Signal to other riders when possible:
     Thumbs Up  waytogo=GO!
     Tap the Helmet=Law Enforcement
     Frantic Hand Wave Down=Shit on the road/ Slow down / Accident

Grin

There's a fine line between clever and stupid.
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »

Man,  I hear about cars passing the double yellow in the in Mullholand all the time.  Fortunately I have never seen it and hope I never will....track day here I come.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Gibbs

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

Today I was riding the Crest at the speed limit (+/- 25mph) and went into a blind right only to find a Subaru STI totally in my lane squaring up for a head-on collision!  He swerved when he saw me, which means we got within feet of each-other. 

It was not me I stay with in the Dub yellow lines  Wink

The car has so much grip there is no need to cross the lines

Unless you don't know how to drive the car correctly in the mountains

Joe can account for that  Grin

monster monkey
After I Eat, I Am A

That Really Is Me, I Promise!

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »

Fortunately, my group missed those tards. But did get to meet Smoke.... beer me  drink

Everytime I'm on two wheels, the streets part, heavens open, and hearts pound

The heart pounding is true, at least...
Smokescreen

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »

Jonesy, it was nice to meet yous guys! 

There is NO reason to take an STi across the lines on the Crest (or any other car for that matter) as they come with no shortage of traction.  This kid was being an asshat.  It bummed me out to see this after probably thousands of miles logged on the Crest, and more than that on the 33 and Lockwood (my favorite)...  Good to hear that this isn't a site for riders that condone riding/driving llike tools....

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: