Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 18, 2024, 02:13:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 209006 times)
WarrenJ

« Reply #420 on: December 15, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »

A new tanto forged from 5160, clay differential heat treat, rayskin, cordwrap and Turkshead knot,  Appleseed tip with a 5" blade.  

The big blade is forged from 1065, clay differential heat treat.  Its 15" overall.   Polishing is about 80% done, need to etch it to accentuate the hamon - its a nice billowy pattern- I'll post a pic when its done.

Gotta bend up a sheath out of kydex for the tanto and get it out the door as a Christmas present.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #421 on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »

waytogo on both, but I'm particularly taken with that tanto - which is especially striking as they're generally not my favorite blade shape.  VERY nice work!

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
WarrenJ

« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »

The tanto is a hefty handful - I forged it from 1 1/4 x 1/4 5160 and I have yet to find anything as grippy as that Japanese style cordwrap.  Its razor, shaving sharp even along the convex tip edge.  I am really ambivalent about sending it out - I think it would go just great behind my right hip. 

The big one has me a bit puzzled about what I should do about the handle.  The style really isn't amenable to cordwrap - It'll probably be bocote or micarta.  I'm also forging a wakizachi (sp) out of S7.  Forging and working with S7 is really different as its an air hardening steel with some other weird properties.  That one may take a while.

Thanks for the comments!

fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #423 on: December 15, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »

Awesome Warren. waytogo applause I too really like the 5" tanto knife. Sending it out as a Christmas present? Funny, I didn't know you had my home address! laughingdp

Really cool stuff. Nice talent. Wink

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
WarrenJ

« Reply #424 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »

Its actually going to Texas - If you have an "In" with the Frisco Post Office, maybe you could snag it.

fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2011, 02:34:58 PM »

I could hit the Frisco PO with a .308... is that close enough? laughingdp

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »

The tanto is a hefty handful - I forged it from 1 1/4 x 1/4 5160 and I have yet to find anything as grippy as that Japanese style cordwrap.  Its razor, shaving sharp even along the convex tip edge.  I am really ambivalent about sending it out - I think it would go just great behind my right hip. 

The big one has me a bit puzzled about what I should do about the handle.  The style really isn't amenable to cordwrap - It'll probably be bocote or micarta.  I'm also forging a wakizachi (sp) out of S7.  Forging and working with S7 is really different as its an air hardening steel with some other weird properties.  That one may take a while.

Thanks for the comments!

Interesting; I've used S7 for things like hot-cut chisels & hardies, and other stuff that needs to cut or shape orange-hot metal, but never thought of using it for a knife. I'm all ears about how it works out.

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
WarrenJ

« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »

A friend of mine has made several knives out of S7.  Its even tougher than 5160.  Those knives will withstand some terrible abuse and keep cutting. 

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #428 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

waytogo waytogo

waytogo waytogo

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #429 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »

Made up a couple of test mules for a knife I think might be fun to make in significant numbers. I was remembering the tiny little sheath knife I made & used to carry on my belt - under a suit, as I was working on Capitol Hill at the time - it was perfect for 98% of the things I use a knife for in my daily, office-bound life. Basically, a box-cutter blade on a handle that's small enough to fit into the standard size of a folding pocket knife. While the one I made years ago had a fairly thick walnut handle, I want to make these flat enough that they'll fit in a sheath and take up as little room as possible in a pocket.

Here's the Baby Box Cutter 1.0:

The steel is just bits of 1095 file steel for now. I put edges on them just a few minutes ago, and there's no longer a cardboard box within sight that doesn't have a collection of gashes & big pieces missing. So far, they're fun little knives that cut like they're supposed to.

I'm going to carry one of these for a while, give the other to Ann-Marie and seed them out to friends as I make more to get some feedback on the blade & edge shape (one's got an extremely fine, compound-bevel edge, the other has a single-bevel, relatively rugged edge), handle shapes, etc. That, and whether or not this is an idea that people on Etsy or elsewhere might actually buy...

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #430 on: December 31, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »

The steel is just bits of 1095 file steel for now. I put edges on them just a few minutes ago, and there's no longer a cardboard box within sight that doesn't have a collection of gashes & big pieces missing. So far, they're fun little knives that cut like they're supposed to.

When all you have is a hammer, all the world looks like a nail.

I do the same thing.  chug

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #431 on: December 31, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »

You need to make one with a bottle opener for the handle.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #432 on: December 31, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »

What cupcake said.. ill take 2..

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
red baron

« Reply #433 on: December 31, 2011, 01:36:44 PM »

1095,good choice.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #434 on: December 31, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »

What cupcake said.. ill take 2..

http://www.crawfordknives.com/bottle%20neck-bottle%20key.htm

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: