Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 07:10:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the moto gods trying to tell me something?  (Read 4858 times)
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« on: June 07, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »

Finally the pre-ride check ritual pays off.  I found the the little 3" nasty below in my newish Pilot Power today.  Entry AND exit wounds.

Are the moto gods trying to tell me something?

Fortunatley I have a backup Ducati, so all was not lost  [moto]

BK

rose351

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »

Well, at least its just the tire and not a messed up rim too Wink
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »

Wow....That's some spike ! It's amazing how they manage to end up point into the tire. My brother drove from Ohio to Florida and back with a nail in his car tire. He just kept adding air from time to time. I thought he was crazy but try telling your younger brother anything sometimes and he doesnt want your opinion. He did finally replace it after a month or so....that's just him Huh? Good thing you checked your bike out before you rode it like you always should.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
CougarSlayer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »

I think the moto gods try to tell me something everyday ride baby ride

-panthro

cc's are still 992
55Spy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »

yeah they are telling you good job on a pre inspection.

you passed the test now buy a new tire and go ride.

Cucciolo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »

I'm gonna start really doing them.. GOOD POST!
rose351

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »

Wow....That's some spike ! It's amazing how they manage to end up point into the tire. My brother drove from Ohio to Florida and back with a nail in his car tire. He just kept adding air from time to time. I thought he was crazy but try telling your younger brother anything sometimes and he doesnt want your opinion. He did finally replace it after a month or so....that's just him Huh? Good thing you checked your bike out before you rode it like you always should.

Man, my dad picked up something in his tire once and had to go get it changed.  The mechanic came back with a 10" flat head screwdriver that was in his tire.  I dont know how the make the beast with two backs it got in there, but yeah. 

Are there any entry wound pictures?
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »

Man, my dad picked up something in his tire once and had to go get it changed.  The mechanic came back with a 10" flat head screwdriver that was in his tire.  I dont know how the make the beast with two backs it got in there, but yeah. 

Are there any entry wound pictures?

You can make out the head of the nail in the tread.  For the SF Bay Area locals, I picked up the nail on Page Mill Road while leaned over.  I heard a plink and I thought I just kicked up a rock into my fender or something....didn't find the nail until just before the next ride.

BK

CougarSlayer

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 03:12:21 AM »

Yeah dude after reading a post from the other board about some guy who was doing a long haul and his rear nut was loose.  I do the old pre-inspection before I leave in the morning but you confirmed that I need to do it before during and maybe after I ride.  Good pickup

-panthro

cc's are still 992
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »

Finally the pre-ride check ritual pays off.  I found the the little 3" nasty below in my newish Pilot Power today.  Entry AND exit wounds.

Are the moto gods trying to tell me something?

BK

IZ, is that you?

laughingdp

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
echelon
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 08:11:19 AM »

BK

A backup Ducati ... life IS good.
Pancake81

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »

OoOoOoOo... That is a nasty one. At least the tire wasnt a day old. That would be someones luck. KNock on wood not mine usually.

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »

Check this out - I just pulled the wheel for tire replacement tomorrow and the pressure was only down 3psi.  The nail has been in place for 7 days, but the bike was not ridden during that time.  I'm sorta impressed.

BK
2-Wheelin Hooligan

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »

I recently saw a tire brought into a local shop that had a similar wound and the guy decided to remove the nail, put silicone over the torn area and he rode it around for a few days before bringing it in.  The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me, but kudos on seeing the nail before riding, I really need to start doing those pre-ride inspections.  I'm just glad nothing has happened so far.
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »

I am IZ, and I approve this thread (cept for the unIZ_ pics)

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: