Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 29, 2024, 10:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tires for street riding  (Read 6563 times)
NAKID

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »

32 1/2? That could be the difference in ambient temperature!

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 09:17:36 AM »

The Z6 Met. works well and will last longer, but they are heavy as hell.

I've used several sets of 2CTs and liken em. waytogo

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »

Am I the only guy in the world that has Bridgestones on his bike?  My S2R800 came with Battlax BT014R's.  I'm mildly unimpressed with the wear.  They have about 6500kms on them and the rear still has tread but it's starting to square off.  I'm wondering if I should just throw another one on until the front is toast as well or if I should upgrade when this one wears out.

Can anybody tell me about this tire?  How does it compare to the Michelin Pilot Power and the Metzeler?  Apparently it's a bit cheaper price wise.

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
dlearl476

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »

My bike has the Pilot Power, but these are track tires.

Pilot Power 2CT are performance oriented street tires.
Pilot Race are track tires.

You might try Pilot Road 2CT if you're not happy with the PP's.  Personally, I've always wanted the stickiest tire I could buy on my bike, longevity be damned.  I have to agree with yuu, if you're slipping I think there's another cause.
CRASH!

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 08:19:01 AM »

I've been through the original Pilot Roads, original Pilot Powers, a set of Diablo Corsa IIIs and I just spooned on PP 2CTs.

I thought the Roads were good tires but gave up just a little too much corner grip for my taste. The Road 2s should solve that problem nicely and still yield good wear (I think I got 10k mi out of the original Roads). With the dual compound, they might even be enough for the occasional track day for an air cooled Monster, but probably not for an S4.

I have to say though that I like the tire profile of the Powers much better. That super crisp turn-in is addictive and it's the main reason I bought the 2CTs this time around instead of trying the Road 2s. Price is about the same but I don't expect to get any more than 6k mi out of the 2CTs. I got about that out of the original Powers and 6400 out of the Corsas (though I showed steel last weekend Shocked).

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with Powers for the street except longevity. They warm up great, stick to anything and do well in water. They are stickier than most of us need on the street and hence don't last that long.
NAKID

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »

Am I the only guy in the world that has Bridgestones on his bike?  My S2R800 came with Battlax BT014R's.  I'm mildly unimpressed with the wear.

I have the same on my S2R1000 and I agree. They have decent grip, but are squaring off at a little over 4k miles...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »

I'm running Pilot Powers on my M900 and the 999. I am extremely happy as they made a huge difference for the better on both bikes. They get a little skippy if you run over a solid painted line in a well banked corner but I think most any tire would.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »

Although I've been running several sets of 2ct's, last week I put on a regular Pilot Power. I rode it pretty hard all last weekend in wet and dry up in the Blue Ridge and it works just as well as the 2ct's.  I'll continue to use the ct's on the front.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 06:34:05 AM »

mine came with pirelli diablos. front & rear. i am on the second rear tire & replaced it with what came on it.

"It will not go in deepr than it is long"

2016 M 1200 R, Vivid Black, Termignoni, Rapid Bike EVO, EVOTECH Engine/Cooler guards & Tail Tidy, Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors, Motodemic Adaptive LED Headlight, carbon fiber everywhere........ Kiss French/Ride Italian
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

Depends on what you want out of the tire.  Personally, I want grip....I have nearly lost the front on while leaning into a left hander and touching the centerline.  I am convinced if I was on a lesser tire I would not have saved it.  The cold PPs saved my ass, and I am grateful.  I have seen Metzlers perform very well, the Battle axes aren't as grippy from what I have seen and heard, so the new kicks will be 2cts for me. 

I was able to get 10k front and 6k rear on a pair of PP sports, but I rode the rear until it literally fell apart.  Even during failure it was predictable and controllable.  I am 100% sold on Michelin!

M-ROCin' it!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: