Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 17, 2024, 11:25:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 68858 times)
gratefulduc

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 05:06:54 AM »

Tuesday works.  I even have the key.   Grin

I didn't ride it before I installed the ignition system, but I think the CL was stronger.  It might have been geared shorter, though.  I didn't check the gearing on either bike.
...or that the CL has straight pipes  Evil
 c u tomoro

'90 750 sport
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »

I need some new tires on the bike, was told to get a hold of Scott or Stu, guess this is good a place as any to try and do that.  Tongue
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »

Bring it over whenever you like.  If you don't have my phone number you can get it on the Desert Desmo facebook page.  If you want quick turnaround (overnight or quicker) you'll need to let me know what brand, type, and sizes you'd like so I'll be sure they're immediately available.  If they're not in town it takes a couple of days to get 'em.

I heartily endorse Michelin Pilot Power single compound tires.....'cause they're sticky and relatively cheap....but if your riding style (I ride pretty slow) or taste in tires (I like cheap) differs from mine we can get whatever you like.  For instance, we just put Michelin Power Pures on DucMouse's ride and she's very happy...but they're half again the price of Pilot Powers!  I know we can easily lay hands on Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Metzeler rubber, too.  Your call.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »

I heartily endorse Michelin Pilot Power single compound tires.....'cause they're sticky and relatively cheap....but if your riding style (I ride pretty slow) or taste in tires (I like cheap) differs from mine we can get whatever you like.  For instance, we just put Michelin Power Pures on DucMouse's ride and she's very happy...but they're half again the price of Pilot Powers!  I know we can easily lay hands on Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Metzeler rubber, too.  Your call.

if you ride slow then someone better hand me my walker   Roll Eyes

also thx again for the service i am very happy and you guys are awesome  chug waytogo

spankin™

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »

So the guy I bought the bike from actually had a pilot road on the back and a pilot power in the front. I've noticed that the back likes to kick out, especially powering out of corners... not sure exactly what I need though, just something stickier than that pilot road I guess. Sizes are 170/60 and 120/70. I do need quick turnaround since I use the bike for commuting, so I'll do some research on the tires I want. Probably will default to pilot powers though if they're readily available.
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »

I heartily endorse Michelin Pilot Power single compound tires.....'cause they're sticky and relatively cheap....but if your riding style (I ride pretty slow) or taste in tires (I like cheap) differs from mine we can get whatever you like.

bow down Slow Huh? I just ordered a set of training wheels...so we can keep up with you now.

BTW, my M. Power 1s need to be changed in the next revision to whatever is on Craig's bike...Michellin Power 1! Roll Eyes He is setting a bad example and I can't keep up with the squids on track days! Sliding is an under statement, its like ice skating for Olympics qualifying! Works awesome on the street though at whatever pace my guts allow! waytogo
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:09:14 PM by JJ » Logged

Ride forever...
Cloner

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »

So the guy I bought the bike from actually had a pilot road on the back and a pilot power in the front. I've noticed that the back likes to kick out, especially powering out of corners... not sure exactly what I need though, just something stickier than that pilot road I guess. Sizes are 170/60 and 120/70. I do need quick turnaround since I use the bike for commuting, so I'll do some research on the tires I want. Probably will default to pilot powers though if they're readily available.

Pilot Roads can squirm a bit under a heavy throttle hand, but they last FOREVER compared to other Pilot variants.  If you can stomach the movement they're a better choice for a commuter.  If you don't like the rear moving around (it doesn't bother me unless it's unpredictable or very pronounced....but I don't know how you ride) you might try Pilot Power, as they're considerably stickier than Pilot Road....though they'll last about half as long.  I typically get 2500 to 3000 miles out of a set.

Do your research and gimme a holler.  The Powers are readily available in those sizes.  Roads I'd have to order.  Ditto Power Pure.  JJ is talking about DOT race rubber in his post, so you can fairly disregard that Power One comment.   Wink

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »

Would I be able to get more life out of dual compound tires? I think there's dual compound pilot power tires that aren't terribly more expensive than regular pilot powers. I do tend to ride fairly throttle heavy and the back getting squirrly, especially on city roads can be pretty unpredictable for me.
Cloner

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:55 AM »

In my experience, the 2CT tires are the same in the middle as the single compound versions but have softer sides, so do give better bite at greater lean angles.  Michelin only put the softer compound on the extreme edges (the outer 10 % on the front, 11% on the rear) of Pilot Powers, anyway, so you have to tilt pretty hard to take full advantage of the softer rubber on the edges of the tire.  Michelin make the rear from compound "A", and the front from softer compound "B".  They then apply compound "B" to the shoulders of the rear tire, and introduce even more soft compound "C" for the shoulders of the front tire.

Power Pure uses the softer compounds on the outer 25% of the front and 40% of the rear, so it is easier to take advantage of the "better" rubber.  I've found that I spend a significant proportion of my riding time in the soft portion of these tires....so much so that they wore out in under 2000 miles for me....but I load 'em a bit more than most folks.   Grin   OH.....and Power Pures are also about 2 pounds per tire lighter than comparable offerings, so they actually reduce unsprung weight and make your bike handle a little better.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you can use the edges of your tires its probably worth buying 2CT tires at least once to see what they're about.  However, I suspect that the majority of folks who have them never take advantage of their primary intended benefit, which is greater traction at extreme lean angles.  I know I have to work to slide (not just move a little, but properly slide) single compound tires on my 80hp bikes, so take that for what it's worth.

Think for yourself.  Question authority!   Evil

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »

Oh, I heard from others that the 2ct tires were a bit harder in the middle giving them better life span. I guess maybe the people I heard that from were wrong though.  Tongue

As far as using the outer edge, I find I push myself a little harder each time I go out, finally was able to use all the tread on my rear tire just this last weekend, and I expect I'll be doing that more now, so who knows, maybe I'll try them out some time. I'll just go with the pilot powers for now though, I think from what you said that should eliminate my sliding problem that I'm getting with the pilot roads, and that's all I'm looking for. Should I schedule a time to make sure I can get a quicker turn around or what?
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »

Oh, I heard from others that the 2ct tires were a bit harder in the middle giving them better life span. I guess maybe the people I heard that from were wrong though.  Tongue
As far as using the outer edge, I find I push myself a little harder each time I go out, finally was able to use all the tread on my rear tire just this last weekend, and I expect I'll be doing that more now, so who knows, maybe I'll try them out some time. I'll just go with the pilot powers for now though, I think from what you said that should eliminate my sliding problem that I'm getting with the pilot roads, and that's all I'm looking for. Should I schedule a time to make sure I can get a quicker turn around or what?

Hi we haven't ridden, but we will be soon! It is the right choice and you will be happy. There is no need to go to a double compound 2CT or others!)- You can either stay single (soft compound and they built a good grip on hard riding) or go race slicks for track. I have pushed the Pilot powers to their death limits and they still hold good on the mountains, except at track with the expert group. I do lean a bit and my suspension is set about right. You may want Scott & team to check your suspension setting. If you are riding with our group on the mountains, that will come in as a blessing! Make sure the tire pressures are not too high or too low. Lower them by a pound for each weekend till you are comfortable. I'm not the best out here, but I have seen great improvement with just suspensions and tire pressure. I used to run Pirelli's- the expensive ones always on my 999s and 1098s till I could not bear $500 changes every 4 months! The switch to Michelin Pilot Power single compound was a very satisfactory experience. Thought I would share few cents...! waytogo

Ride forever...
Cloner

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »

How about you drag the old girl over Saturday and we run over to get them mounted and balanced together?  That way you can ride it in and ride it right back out.  We can, as JJ suggested above, do some preliminary suspension set-up, too, if you like.  If that's cool just let me know and I'll make double sure that there are tires waiting for you.   Wink

Who knows, maybe I'll buy a tire machine soon?!?

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »

Yeah, that sounds great, what time and where?
Cloner

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »

Call me and I'll give you directions.  five oh five 238-zero three 23.  I'm about as far north and west as you can go and still be inside the city of Albuquerque, so I'm pretty close to you.

I'll be back from spin class around 10:00, so say 10:30?

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Cloner

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »

DJD......I just got word that we MIGHT have a 170/60 tomorrow (for use Saturday) and we might not.  Any objections to a 180/55 if the 170/60 doesn't come in?  They are interchangeable for all intents and purposes....or at least I can't tell the difference.....as long as there isn't a swingarm interference issue (and there isn't on Monsters).  The 180/55 is obviously 10mm wider, and, mathematically, it drops the rear of the bike 3mm (less than 1/8") compared to the 170/60.

Just a "heads up."  Hopefully it won't be an issue, but just in case I didn't want you to be surprised.

For reference, I run 180/55 rears on both of my bikes that originally came with 170/60 rubber ('cause it's easier to find in sticky buns).

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: