Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 14, 2024, 02:29:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 67873 times)
gratefulduc

« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »

Keihin CVs. 

Sounds like it might need bigger mains, Larry.  See if you can find a spare set of carbs while you're at it.  One of yours (I think the right one) is pretty buggered up in its float bowl.  Looks like it was stored with acid in it for a while.   Sad
If I find a pair of performance ones like Mikuni is that MORE problematic or should I look for the same carbs

'90 750 sport
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 04:40:40 AM »

It's not a problem if you find a "starting point" for jetting from a reputable source.  It's nice to at least have a baseline from which to begin.  Starting from scratch can take a very long time and can be very expensive just in jets.....not to mention labor time.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
gratefulduc

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

check these out

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-580/MIKUNI-VM30-CARBURETOR-KIT/Detail

'90 750 sport
Cloner

« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2011, 06:35:28 AM »

I love VMs.  I have one on the Aermacchi!  If they're jetted close I can make it work.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
gratefulduc

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »

I love VMs.  I have one on the Aermacchi!  If they're jetted close I can make it work.
great! i may very well buy these

'90 750 sport
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »

Huh? Don't I need one like this too Scott? I had to work from home today to visit a local client...Perhaps I'll come by and get d ol beater sorted...! Undecided

Ride forever...
gratefulduc

« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »

I bought them. Should have them in a week. can't wait to put them on

'90 750 sport
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2011, 06:01:21 AM »

Anyways, I think my bike is need of a service, and was wondering if you could take care of it for me, maybe also check the bike over as well make sure I didn't miss something that broke from dropping it. Oh, and maybe check those idler pullies. It's not taking quite as long now to get them to squeal a bit.
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »

Oh no, rode the bike all day today with no problems, got back home today no problems, went out for a sandwich this evening and I noticed lack of power. Lack of power developed into it bogging down at around 2-5k RPM and backfiring. That developed into even more power loss and a fuel smell around the bike. There's also a little smoke from the pipes if it backfires when it's bogging down, the smoke kinda smells a bit like jet fuel. I'm guessing it's related to me dropping the bike this morning, I don't know what could have gotten that screwed up though. Or what could have happened that it took several hours of riding to show up after the drop.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:59:29 PM by DonJuanDucati » Logged
Duck-Stew

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »

Wow C, that's a tough one to diagnose over the intarwebz...

We'll have time to look at it this wknd though...

Call me @ 359-1500 an we'll discuss.
Stuart

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »

I'm thinking it might actually be a timing belt issue, but what do I know.  Tongue When it's light out tomorrow I'll take a look at the bike and make sure it isn't something stupid like a fouled spark plug or something.
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »

And it's starting to do it again. I may replace the line myself. It'll take me a bit but I think I can figure it out, I have a diagram  Tongue. Need 30R10 5/16"? Also, I'ma be in RR tonight with my truck, will you be home Scott so I can drop off a check? Also #2: When do you think you'll have some free time to do a service on mio monster?  Grin
Cloner

« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »

5/16" fuel hose...yes.  Make sure it's submersible.  (That's why it costs so darned much.  $26 at NAPA, Karl found it for less through CarQuest where he works)

I can service your bike anytime after this weekend.  If you want to wait I'll replace the fuel line for no additional labor while I have the tank off.  It won't take me 15 minutes.  I'd prefer to replace the clamps, too, while I'm in there if that's OK with you.  FI hose clamps are pricier than standard ones, but they seal well.  I get nervous reusing those crimp type clamps.

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

Karl was saying that it was like18-20 bucks for the same hose through his work.

Anyway, I was gonna get new clamps while I was at it anyway. From what I'm seeing this time around, the bike didn't drastically go down the drain as far as performance is concerned. Maybe it's a bad clamp, not getting an entirely good seal. I'd think the hose might pop off then though. Either way, I noticed the engine kinda popping and missing occasionally at low RPMs, like how it started before, but it hasn't progressed at all to the type of lag in power that I was experiencing the first time around. The problem right now seems very constant.

I'll keep you updated, and I'm thinking maybe dropping the bike off Friday afternoon next week? Or if I could drop it off earlier in the week that could work too.
Cloner

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »

Karl was saying that it was like18-20 bucks for the same hose through his work.

Anyway, I was gonna get new clamps while I was at it anyway. From what I'm seeing this time around, the bike didn't drastically go down the drain as far as performance is concerned. Maybe it's a bad clamp, not getting an entirely good seal. I'd think the hose might pop off then though. Either way, I noticed the engine kinda popping and missing occasionally at low RPMs, like how it started before, but it hasn't progressed at all to the type of lag in power that I was experiencing the first time around. The problem right now seems very constant.

I'll keep you updated, and I'm thinking maybe dropping the bike off Friday afternoon next week? Or if I could drop it off earlier in the week that could work too.

Friday is fine...or if you want to ride it this weekend Sunday evening or Monday are OK, too.

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: