Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 14, 2024, 10:20:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 67840 times)
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2013, 05:13:58 AM »

Thanks, Scott! Appreciate you taking the time and providing details on Ohlin rebuild! I'm not sure if this makes it easy or scares the living hell! Embarrassed Huh? Tongue I'm hoping to read it few more times, have read it twice and it still feels like "Method of Characteristics for Nozzle Design" bang head

There are some discussions since yesterday on my presence in WV and options to re-live NM wonderland...so I shall wait till March about gets by... coffee

Ride forever...
JJ

« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2013, 01:59:35 PM »

Scott- I read your fork rebuild article few more times and watched few online videos to brave myself up...not ready yet, plus tools need to be arranged. Anyway, I'm in a better state mentally with the whole process as I now know more. I want to again thank you for taking the time and helping all of us now and before  waytogo...I have always enjoyed riding the machine, however, the DUC was left as a myth for you to solve...at least in post crash days... Tongue Over time you have helped me understand the machine and it helps with my riding as well...because I know that there is more to riding than just opening the throttle and pointing (that could be a good start with titanium B$$$  Grin).

Anyway, I was about to call Ducpond and check on their service schedules, but thought I'll check their reviews again carefully on Google. I was surprised to find this (link below) and am having afterthoughts! So, I'm gonna wait and maybe do part job myself...hell, I can simply ship the forks to you with return cash, and pull it down somehow following your instructions! But, I thought I should share this with others too on client expectations and motorcycle maintenance...especially things our life depends on and what we love so much!
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-workbench/55060-duc-pond.html

This may be an odd case, but it sure deters me. When I leave my bike at your place, I leave with absolute confidence. bow down
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:01:52 PM by JJ » Logged

Ride forever...
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2013, 04:49:37 AM »

Wow!  That would worry me, too.  I like the last response on the page, though. 

If you want to pull the forks and ship them out here for a rebuild i'll gladly run through them.  You could also send them to Racetech or Dan Kyle (Ohlins expert) if you want any heavy modifications done.  I'll turn them around in a day if you're in a hurry.  $75 labor, about $50 for seals and dust seals, and $30 for Ohlins fork oil......or half that much for Silkolene.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
JJ

« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

Thanks, bought this: http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=134

My garage ceiling has an attic and I ain't trying any stunts...Smiley I cant afford a Pitbull right now, so this will do!

Will wait for it and try to get the forks out first. Will I need any special tools to get forks out...I noticed you mentioned quarter turn to break loose the fork cap with OHLINS fork wrench, is this necessary for the forks to be removed from triples? If so, I order them as well. Thanks again.

Ride forever...
Cloner

« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

I think that stand will work great....but I think the price is only for the attachment above the standard lift.  Make sure if you're ordering. 

As to the fork caps, if you're shipping them here don't worry about it. It's just easier to break the cap loose when they're clamped into the bike.  I can clamp them into plastic vice jaws to loosen them here and that way you don't have to spend a fortune for a wrench you'll never use again.  They'll slide right out without loosening them.

Tools required to remove forks:  8mm hex bit to remove brake calipers.  4mm hex bit to remove fender.  5 mm hex bit (if I remember correctly) to loosen axle pinch bolts. 30mm socket or wrench to loosen the axle nut.  6mm hex bit to loosen the fork clamps (triple clamps) and the clip-on fasteners.....the clip ons might be 5mm....I just can't remember off hand.

Pay attention to how much fork is exposed above the upper clamp, and write that down.  Right down your spring preload settings and damping settings, too, as they'll likely be "messed up" when you get your forks back.  The clip-ons index to the upper triple clamp, so you can't easily put that together wrong.  Also note the routing of the wiring and throttle cables so all that goes back together the way it came apart.  Take a picture or two if you're worried about putting it back together wrong.

Remove the caliper bolts and twist the calipers (with your hands...NO TOOLS!!!) a bit so that the disk prys the brake pads apart.  This makes it much easier to remove the calipers.  Otherwise you'll scuff the wheel up trying to remove the calipers.  They barely fit between the wheel and brake disk...so take your time.  Remember to grease the caliper bolts slightly upon reassembly.

I'll post a link later where you can see all the torque values for the bike so that you can reassemble it, if you don't have them already.  You will definitely want a torque wrench to reassemble this, as it's really easy to overtighten the fork clamps and caliper bolts, and to undertighten the axle nut.

It's really not difficult.  Just take your time and make sure you put it together the way it came apart!

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
JJ

« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »

For one instant you scared me! Huh? I had already bought the Trex stand directly from them today, but I checked... it is the full stand! It may be slightly inferior to a Pitbull, which I have for my rear stand, but they say it is only noticeable in the long run and with wet conditions...I paid 120 for the stand and 30 for Fedex shipping! They will throw in a pair of anodized red wheel spools free and it comes with the ducati soft cradle adapter for triple tree without holes. The stand can be used as fork lift or triple tree lift. I figured if I am staying remote, I may as well have a way to remove my tires for trackdays. The adapter alone for a Pitbull stand is 169 and full system is 269 plus shipping! So, this will do for occasional use. I found MotoMFG has a moving paddock side stand (lifts the whole bike) which is nice as well...but about 300 something.

I'll follow instructions and it should all be fine. First time is always a bit scary, but I need to get used to it! I'm paranoid with the DUC, I don't mind playing with the older bikes... Thanks, Scott!

Ride forever...
crat996

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »

Scott,
Just wondering how bad a valve service would be for my Speed Triple? I'm at about 23k and I'm sure it could use a service.
Thanks

'99 Ducati 996S #048-Gone but not forgotten
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'05 GSXR 1000
handensco

« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2013, 05:12:55 AM »

Good Morning Gents,
Bike 2001 900 SS. I need belts and have been looking around. I am not sure if I order them from you or order some from CA Cycle works. I will do the work myself. I just am not sure what belts to get and I like useing the local Indy if it makes sense. I do that with my harley (sorry) but New Life Builders is the best for them. Let me know my options. I am also doing the front forks like JJ but those will be pretty easy as soon as I get settled in at Pojoaque.
handensco
david

93 900SL, 01900SS, 82 FXWG, 80 FLH, 76 R90/6, 98 XR400R, 4 Grand Daughters and I have a hoarding problem?
Duck-Stew

« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2013, 07:29:35 AM »

Good Morning Gents,
Bike 2001 900 SS. I need belts and have been looking around. I am not sure if I order them from you or order some from CA Cycle works. I will do the work myself. I just am not sure what belts to get and I like useing the local Indy if it makes sense. I do that with my harley (sorry) but New Life Builders is the best for them. Let me know my options. I am also doing the front forks like JJ but those will be pretty easy as soon as I get settled in at Pojoaque.
handensco
david

Hi David,

Either we can order you some 900 belts from CA-Cycleworks, or you can order directly (which will save time for shipment).  Part number is TB900.

All the best and let us know if you need assistance or have questions,
--Stuart

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Cloner

« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »

Scott,
Just wondering how bad a valve service would be for my Speed Triple? I'm at about 23k and I'm sure it could use a service.
Thanks

I'll chat with Stuart and see what we want to do, Craig.  Wait one.

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
crat996

« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

Thanks Scott. I wanted to ask you first. If you can't I'll be taking it to Phoenix sometime this summer/fall. I won't give my money to PJ's.

'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'05 GSXR 1000
Duck-Stew

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »

Thanks Scott. I wanted to ask you first. If you can't I'll be taking it to Phoenix sometime this summer/fall. I won't give my money to PJ's.

crat996: Sorry I didn't see your post there. Scott & I discussed and will be in touch either tomorrow or Wednesday.  Hope you're doing well...  Stu

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
handensco

« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2013, 05:14:20 AM »

thanks guys. I will order from ca cycle then. it is missing a few nuts and bolts but I will get those also. WE are selling our house in Peralta so everything is kind of all over the place.
thanks
david

93 900SL, 01900SS, 82 FXWG, 80 FLH, 76 R90/6, 98 XR400R, 4 Grand Daughters and I have a hoarding problem?
Cloner

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »

Just to follow up, Craig, we'd be honored to service your bike.  We're just trying to figure out what to charge for it.  We're looking for the service manual so we can see what parts have to be renewed, making sure we have all the required tools, and things like that. 

When will it be due?

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
crat996

« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »

Scott,
I've never had the valves done so I'm sure it needs a look over. I'd have to bring it by. I think the valves are starting to make some noise.

'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'05 GSXR 1000
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: