Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 12:22:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 68334 times)
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »

Great detail Scott, thanks! But, since I could never successfully bleed my brakes... I have Desert Desmo to my rescue. What does the boiling point have to do with street use? Can frictional Or viscous heat reach boiling temperatures? F1 yes but street?

Ride forever...
kingbaby

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

Well said in 1000 words... Or more  Smiley
I've been using the SRF for a coule of years & the Mobil 1 for 15+.
Used  the Sylcoline when I ran the dealership, and it worked great, but went back to the other the past year.  That being said,  after riding the crap outa bikes for almost 4 decades, I have never had any failure due to fluids. The key, like Scott has shown, is use the correct visc's & #'s for your application.
If you have a bike that has separate trans fluid, well, that's an entirely different story.

You'll know when you have the right combo for you when you go for a ride & don't worry about it. 

I promise to make better mistakes tomorrow.
kingbaby

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »

Great detail Scott, thanks! But, since I could never successfully bleed my brakes... I have Desert Desmo to my rescue. What does the boiling point have to do with street use? Can frictional Or viscous heat reach boiling temperatures? F1 yes but street?

JJ, Answer, nothing. I got a free case of the Castrol. Bike still stops & goes... Go figure?
My original 08 battery took a crap though. 13k in 4 months, then 3 in 2yrs probably has something to do with that.  Sad

Edit: Brakes are slow  Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:14:49 PM by kingbaby » Logged

Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »

It is VERY possible to make brake fluid boil in spirited street use, especially if you're very hard on the brakes for an extended period of time (like coming down the Crest road, or riding Deal's Gap.....or riding at Sandia!).  The gent in the thread I mentioned in my original post actually had his REAR brake go away, I believe due to boiling.  I don't know if he was dragging it or what, but he almost certainly boiled the fluid from his description of the issue.

Long answer short.....it's probably not a problem for 90% of riders because they'll never ride hard enough to have this occur, but it is definitely possible at the pace we've occasionally seen on our rides .

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
kingbaby

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

spirited street use

Huh?

Long answer short.....it's not a problem for King & the scooter riders because they never rides hard enough to have this occur.

Fixed it.    laughingdp

Cloner

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »

Huh?

Fixed it.    laughingdp

Come on, Keith.  You remember.  Go fast....slow down...turn.  Go fast some more....slow down....turn.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  You can do EEETTTT.....if you'll get your ass on a bike!   [moto]

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
kingbaby

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »

No kidding.  I'm the proud owner of a 20k paper weight
 Ive always made fun of people like me. 08 with 16k...embaresing  Sad

Cloner

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »

OK...so I guess I haven't mentioned this to you guys before (unless you've had your bike serviced at Desert Desmo), but one of the things we do to document the work we do and the condition of your bike during its service is to set up a photo album online so that you can see what we're doing (if you don't want to sit and watch....which you're also welcome to do).  I wouldn't mention this except that J.J. mentioned that we should show Karl the photos of his tail section so that, in a fit of jealousy, he could order one for himself, so....Karl....if you want to spend more money on your 1098, just look at these:

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/tscloninger/JJs%201098%20Rebuild%20Winter%202011/

I've linked the entire album so that you can kind of see what we've done for J.J.'s bike.  To see a photo full sized, just click on it.

For those with no knowledge of this bike, it was wrecked last fall and we're rebuilding it for J.J. over the winter.  The bike was ridden last weekend, so mechanically we've cinched it up, and now we're just making it pretty.  J.J. has bought a complete set of carbon fiber body work that we're fitting now, and he intends to buy a black tank to use with that bodywork until he decides whether or not he'll paint it or leave it "black"...or "carbon fiber colored"....or whatever you want to call that glorious finish!

Anybody else want some carbon fiber goodies?  Yum yum!!

Just a quick teaser: 

Bear in mind my crappy camera doesn't do the bodywork any justice at all.  It's three times as gorgeous in person!!

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »

Nice looking ride JJ...can't wait to see you ride it waytogo
trolland
Tom Rolland

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »

Of course I'd take my 851 Scott and Swewart.... I know them, and PJ's was a little less than really wanting to touch a 20 year old 851 after they did the initial service.... Of course they'll be coming to me for Beveldrive advce:) And any Ducati belt buckles they may need too. Tom Rolland "Nothing flies like a Duck" Buckle maker and general clever little fart@tm, Right Reverend Church of Ducati (Beveldrive Synod), Commander Flying 350 Condor Squadron, just google Ducati belt buckles if you don't understand some of the honorifics....

"Nothing flies like a Duck"
Cloner

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 11:40:43 AM »

You forgot "All Around Nice Guy", Tom.   Wink

Those of you who don't have one of Tom's belt buckles....Shame on you!  They're pretty.   waytogo

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »

You forgot "All Around Nice Guy", Tom.   Wink

Those of you who don't have one of Tom's belt buckles....Shame on you!  They're pretty.   waytogo
Sorry, just not the same without a picture Grin

Cloner

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »

Excellent, Karl.  And it should be noted that they're available in Brass (as pictured) or Sterling Silver!

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Cloner

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »

I don't have an email address for you, Larry, but I thought you'd like to see the photos of your Honda's recent service, so here ya go:  http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/tscloninger/Larrys%20Nighthawk%20March%202011/

I'd still like to do a couple of things to it before you get it back, mostly look a little more closely at the front brakes.  I don't see anything glaringly wrong with them, but they do sound pretty rough.  I'll get it back to you tomorrow.

Cheers,

S

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »

It is nice to see the top end off a nighthawk, cool ride Larry! I may have seen your son riding it once up to CAD.

Scott- There is a "black thing" staring at the Nighthawk in few pictures, is it for sale? Tongue

Ride forever...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: