Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:07:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loud exhausts save lives or Now Oakland P.D. are onboard with this idea!  (Read 9684 times)
Ducatiloo

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »

When I get home I'll see if I have the site bookmarked.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
eyeboy

some say, he eats raw bacon for breakfast...

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »

When I get home I'll see if I have the site bookmarked.

chug

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
silentbob
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:30:07 AM »

i can't find it, but I'm sure I read somewhere that loud pipes aren't safer.  The direction, amplitude, and frequency of the exhaust note isn't directional enough or something like that.  Frenzied searching produced no result.

It's a psychological thing, nothing else.

andy

I commute on my bikes.  I ride the same roads at the same time every day.  I have seen a dramatic difference in the number of close calls from drivers who were not aware of my presence when running stock vs aftermarket exhaust.  I actually kept a log one month of the number of close calls while lane splitting.  It was something like 8 times more frequent with the stock pipes.

Until I start travelling faster than the speed of sound, I'll keep my loud pipes.

My son can even tell when I am coming home because he can hear my bike pull off the highway a mile away from the house.
Jaman

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »

I commute on my bikes.  I ride the same roads at the same time every day.  I have seen a dramatic difference in the number of close calls from drivers who were not aware of my presence when running stock vs aftermarket exhaust. 
My son can even tell when I am coming home because he can hear my bike pull off the highway a mile away from the house.

+1 on this - while I have a reverse commute at odd hours for the most part, when i do travel in traffic, I have definitely noticed an increased awareness when coming up behind/between people with Termis baffles removed > baffles in > stock.

My daughter is usually napping when I get home, so I coast in with engine off for the last 3/4 block, if I know she's awake, then i come in normal, & she has either opened the bathroom window & has a BIG smile on her face "Poppa, take motorpsychle work?!" (she's 2 & change) or is waiting for me at the top of the stairs, again, with a big shit eating grin. (I live in SF, up 70 steps to our pad from street)
Triple J
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »

I'll be the voice of disagreement with the above 2.  Grin

I've commuted year round for the past 2 years in Seattle.  Good and horrible weather.  About 1/2 was done on a Multi with stock exhaust or very quiet Termis...the other half done on a Multi with Remus full GP race system (current..loud and sounds great  Evil).

I haven't noticed a difference in people seeing me.  That said, lanesplitting isn't allowed here.  I can see how louder exhaust would definitely help with that.

The difference I have noticed is when riding the MTS vs. the 848.  The 848 seems to be harder for people to see...that or they're distracted by it's beauty!   Cheesy
LYD

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »

I know with my D&D's people do hear me coming!  Evil

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
johnnierandom

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »

That 80db federal law they speak of is not really the whole story, which is typical from the media these days.  OSHA regulations require that employees exposed to noise above 80dbs for extended periods must wear ear protection, the article makes it seem like there is a federal law which states that an exhaust over 80dbs is illegal.  If the SFPD starts requiring their motorcycle cops to wear ear protection, as everyone on a bike should do anyway, they are fully compliant with OSHA.
KTMCHEESE

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »

I don't know if loud pipes saves lives or not but I do know one thing, I can definitely hear my Arrows more than the stock cans. If I can hear 'em more then my loud freaking pipes gets peoples attention and my presence known more so than a bike that sounds like a sewing machine. Why do you think blind pedestrians are getting run over by Prius drivers by walking in front of them? They can't hear those jetson mobiles.
SolidSnake3035
Stamford, CT

Prospective Ducati Owner

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »

Why do you think blind pedestrians are getting run over by Prius drivers by walking in front of them? They can't hear those jetson mobiles.
LOL!  Is this actually happening!?  laughingdp

Speed is always relative.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »

Going from commuting on a bike in SF traffic, to commuting in a cage, let me put this in.

With the amount of noise on the highway (stop and go), loud stereos, loud exhausts, a terribly well insulated car and the like....

with numerous bikes lane-splitting past me....

I have yet to hear one before I saw it. No matter how loud the exhaust. Just nothing. I'm looking, specifically for my lane splitting brethren, and while I often see them before they go past me, I really, honestly, do not hear them at all.

I don't feel any safer with loud pipes. People still can't see you, they just hear a roar/rumble etc. Half of 'em probably think its thunder or a plane landing.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Ducatiloo

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »

No bumper sticker just shirts sorry.
http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=485

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
jclin

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 04:50:36 PM »

Until I start travelling faster than the speed of sound, I'll keep my loud pipes.

laughingdp Science strikes again! IMO, the sound of louder pipes does help even if most of that sound is directed behind. Louder pipes that increase the decibel levels on the side and in front of you even by a modest amount may give you the few extra seconds of notice to other drivers that will save you a crash.

LOL!  Is this actually happening!?  laughingdp

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6244387/car-news/boy-hit-by-quiet-prius-hybrid-spawns-debate/index.html
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 07:08:48 PM »

I don't feel any safer with loud pipes. People still can't see you, they just hear a roar/rumble etc. Half of 'em probably think its thunder or a plane landing.

True.  Although the dogs have gotten pretty good at identifying the sound of a Ducati. Grin

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
factorPlayer

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »

Alright alright, let's agree that the jury is out on this one.

Myself, I have moderately loud pipes (termis) and don't assume they make a damn bit of difference.   

Are there situations where the sole factor between collision and avoidance is the sound level from the pipes?  Sure.  How often does it come down to that though? not very I don't think, there are too many factors.  A misleading confidence can be borne of it too, eroding your instincts ever so much...

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:15:10 PM by factorPlayer » Logged
MurDuc

2003 M1000S

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »

I can buy the it won't help tell someone your coming up fast.

But I'll laugh in the face of anyone who says it doesn't cut down on the number of soccer moms and cell phone execs drifting blindly into our lane.
You KNOW somethings next to you. Evil

Master of Suds / LSD - Department of Hooliganism
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: