Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:01:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loud exhausts save lives or Now Oakland P.D. are onboard with this idea!  (Read 9686 times)
erkishhorde

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »

But I'll laugh in the face of anyone who says it doesn't cut down on the number of soccer moms and cell phone execs drifting blindly into our lane.
You KNOW somethings next to you. Evil

I'm still surprised at how often I get people changing into my lane even if I blip the throttle. When riding in heavy traffic I've checked my six and I'd say there are about 3 times as many people that veer away from me AFTER I've already passed them than BEFORE I pass them because the noise scares them.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »

I'd probably use my horn more if the button were closer, or if my hands were bigger.  Blipping the throttle is easier for me when I'm covering the clutch and brake.  But I don't rely on it either, just try to be hyperaware and ready to do emergency maneuvers.

The rental F650GS I tried out was so big for me, I had to lift my left hand off the grip to operate the turn signals. Tongue

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:09 AM »

I was just thinking the other day how I wish my bike was quieter, and my cored stock pipes are only moderately loud.  I hate noise pollution, but I'll be darned if cagers don't glimpse and see me coming because of my volume.  There's no way I'd ever be comfortable with a seriously loud exhaust.  I think they're obnoxious and irresponsible.  I'm a nerd.
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 09:52:28 AM »

I use my throttle to wake up drivers IN FRONT of me all the time.  YMMV but I see drivers look in their rear view all the time when I give a blip.  If you think your whimpy horn can do the same go right ahead but when I want someone to notice me I use the throttle.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
Ducatiloo

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »

My wimpy horn is 130 db  Angry

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

I have a Suzuki DR650 with the stock pipe, which is quiet even for a stock bike, and a Monster with insanely loud pipes (they were already installed when I bought it). I've ridden the same route to and from work on both bikes and haven't noticed any difference in the way people respond to my presence. It's 101 going into San Francisco from the south, so there is usually heavy traffic, and I often split lanes.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
MendoDave
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »

You notice the most difference on nice days when people have the window down while Parked on the freeway. Those people notice the rumble coming almost everytime.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »

In terms of what I notice from a cage more.....

those strobe headlights? Yeah-I see those from FAR away. Those are worth far more for visibility IMO.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »

its funny how you can have so many opinions about something i think is so cut and dry. but i guess thats what makes the world go around. but i do notice that when i do the throttle blip, i see people looking. I rely on it to awaken the stupider people around me. it seems to work wonders [moto]

the ron Evil

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »

but i do notice that when i do the throttle blip, i see people looking. I rely on it to awaken the stupider people around me. it seems to work wonders [moto]

Try looking beyond your mirrors.

I keed, I keed. cheeky cheeky

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

My wimpy horn is 130 db  Angry
you do not have a stock horn  Tongue

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
onederer
The Anti-Pomp

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:11 PM »

It's just for decoration, man!
WOO-WOOOOO!

No moleste el gato spectacular...
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »

its funny how you can have so many opinions about something i think is so cut and dry. but i guess thats what makes the world go around. but i do notice that when i do the throttle blip, i see people looking. I rely on it to awaken the stupider people around me. it seems to work wonders [moto]

the ron Evil

Weren't you also saying in another thread less gear makes you ride safer?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
onederer
The Anti-Pomp

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

when i'm in a car,loudish pipes i don't mind. except those insanely loud harley things that *BLLLLLAAAATTTT* when the throttle is closed.

i'm also not a huge fan of that loud jingly, penny in a tin can dry clutch noise. Smiley

No moleste el gato spectacular...
KTMCHEESE

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »

Ah yeahhhh I gru up jus ousside Oaktown yall. Dis clip takes me bak ta ma stompin' grounns dog. Raiduh nayshun datz wut I'm sayun...playun dice dahwn on east foteenf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: