Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed capabilities S4R - S2R  (Read 11452 times)
ducpenguin

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 03:13:03 PM »

You're right, but I don't mind being "misunderstood". My post might even indicate that I wanted the baddest bike in my town? It happens all the time online, I guess. Thanks for the support anyway Wink
Nothing wrong with wanting the baddest bike in town!  Just know your limits!

COWBOY

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 03:29:23 PM »

The reason most outride the 800 is because of the cheap suspension and braking components they used to keep the costs down.

Stop, with the suspension upgrades you're talking about I have a hard time believing you'll outride the powerband on the street even at your size.  The difference into and out of the corners would be minimal at best if your riding it at the level you describe (braking done, in the right gear, good lean and corner speed, etc).  A sloppy rider would see a bigger difference due to over braking up front, being out of the powerband and needing to "power" out of the corner to give the appearance of speed.

Would you potentially shave a second off of a lap?  Maybe.  Is that worth 6000 Euros?  not in my book.

Again just my .02

P.S.  To be fair and for reference.... I'm also considering whether or not I "move up" or not.  I'd like to do some more aggressive riding on the track but don't want a seperate track bike so I'm exploring whether an 05-06 S4R makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:32:19 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »

Riding behind two newer SBKs in the twisties was a real boost, they constantly checked if I was still there - I was Evil I'm sure they didn't push their limits though - unless they were squids. So, I guess I'm the opposite of a squid. The thing is that with my stock suspension I felt insecure as the bike was all over the place. But I see your point about being forced to do things the right way on a lesser bike, requiring quicker learning.

Thanks for the input guys. If there is a lesson for me here, it would be that the added 1k power won't do much for my ambitions. One second on 1/4 mile can't be worth it, at my local prices. On the other hand the upgraded suspension/brakes will.

My only concern now is to have enough safe fun on my upgraded & modded unsquidly 800 to quiet down that little devil sitting on my shoulder shouting about getting the baddest bike possible.

I value all the advise I get and will repeat that the forum experience has doubled the value (mod expenses and tax included!) of my Monster ownership. waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
jdubbs32584
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 04:24:02 PM »

I must say, that's about as close to a blatant misquote as I've ever seen.   Roll Eyes

The OP never said any such thing. Re-read what he said -- "the S2R 800 [is] fast enough - for now" -- "In the (near?) future I might want an upgrade" (emphasis is mine).

He was simply inquiring into how much additional performance is available in up-line models.   [moto]

What the hell? Thats why I asked. I figured that wasn't what he was saying but I wanted to make sure.

Christ.  Roll Eyes
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »

What the hell? Thats why I asked. I figured that wasn't what he was saying but I wanted to make sure.

Christ.  Roll Eyes

No harm done waytogo I appreciate any posts in my topics. Yours wasn't too far fetched.

jdubbs32584
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »

No harm done waytogo I appreciate any posts in my topics. Yours wasn't too far fetched.

Thanks man. I knew there was a little bit of a language barrier so I just wanted to make sure what you were saying. I can't give you actual numbers but I've got an s2r 800 now and used to ride regularly (aka everyday) with my ex who has an s4r. Significant difference in the quickness getting out of corners BUT he loved the lightness and sleekness (due to the big radiator on the front of the s4r) of the s2r 800 and 1000. Just my opinion, but I'd go with a 1000 but I'm making that decision with a heavy emphasis on looks.
ducpenguin

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »

Thanks man. I knew there was a little bit of a language barrier so I just wanted to make sure what you were saying. I can't give you actual numbers but I've got an s2r 800 now and used to ride regularly (aka everyday) with my ex who has an s4r. Significant difference in the quickness getting out of corners BUT he loved the lightness and sleekness (due to the big radiator on the front of the s4r) of the s2r 800 and 1000. Just my opinion, but I'd go with a 1000 but I'm making that decision with a heavy emphasis on looks.
My last comment....the S4R rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I haven't even come close to tapping into its potential!!!  Sorry, had to say that...again, good luck!

jesse370

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »

I HAD a old model S4r and now I have the Rs, and I have been on the 2v monsters.

At least far as THIS knucklehead is concerned the motor in the new R and Rs is a evil mill that will tempt you....no ALLOW you to accelerate at a rate that is pretty freaking insane to say the least. Granted my bike has the DP kit on it, but after my test ride on that bike I was trembling, the amount of power the 999 mill has on tap all over the place is really silly.

But thats a HUGE amount of money you are talking about, my advice is just to ride a R and a Rs and see for yourself, that MIGHT be a really bad ideal because the power is like I said incredibly linear and doesn't seem to quit until redline, my old (996) R could lift the wheel in second if you were on it hard, not far but enough to put a smile on your face. The New R and Rs have a problem with the front tire, as  [evil]in it can regularly loose interest in the ground beneath it  Grin. Power wheelies in 3rd are the norm on this bike and if you are hard on it in second it will let you know who is boss.

But to look at it another way your bike has around:

76 HP and 53 ft/lbs of torque.

a R or RS has:

130 HP and  76 ft/lbs of torque.

the 999 makes roughly ~ 60% MORE power then the bike you are on. And the power potential of that motor is much higher in my opinion, but again its a big cost. But all I can tell you is from my experience going from a 996 to the 999 it was well worth every freaking penny

White S4Rs | Ducati Performance Chip | Termi's | Hyperpro side mount damper | Motowheels MW-7000 Slipper | Billet Clutch Cover |  Speedymoto Ti Spring Caps | Speedymoto Stainless Springs | STM Frame Plugs | Ducati Performance Seat | CRG Roll-A-Clicks
factorPlayer

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »

I'd say this was a pretty productive thread based on the fact you found out what 'squid' means in american motorcycle terminology  waytogo

Do you even have squids in Norway?

they are pretty easy to spot actually, usually young, shorts and t-shirt and/or open-toed shoes, japanese bike, helmet optional.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 03:13:27 AM »

I'd say this was a pretty productive thread based on the fact you found out what 'squid' means in american motorcycle terminology  waytogo

Do you even have squids in Norway?

they are pretty easy to spot actually, usually young, shorts and t-shirt and/or open-toed shoes, japanese bike, helmet optional.

Fewer every year as they often crash and insurance is extreme for them on their "must have" literbikes. We're talking $6-8-10,000

The answers I got has made this thread otherwise productive too. I've been able to put things in their right perspective and point myself in a new and maybe more constructive direction based upon facts. I was surprised how little difference there is on a straight line, going from my bike to a S4R - considering the huge power gain. I guess perceived power is more about torque and the difference is not as huge there.

LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 04:57:56 AM »

Hey Stop.  I’ve traded my 05 S2R800 for a S4RT last spring and am a big guy like you.  Hopefully I can give you some straight answers to your questions. 
Yes there is a LOT more power.  For the record I cannot ride to any limits nor do I do stunts or speed excessively.  95% of my riding is commuting which I could do on a Vespa as easily as my bike.        
While I haven’t tested top speeds or could I shift well enough to knock down 10 second 1/4s at the track, I will tell you that there is plenty of power.  The best word for the Testestretta is "effortless'.  The power delivery is faster and the response from the throttle is immediately gratifying.  (Open airbox, Arrows and PC3 help)

More importantly I’ve found that the better suspension and brakes make this by far the easiest bike to ride that I’ve ever owned.(including 2 Yamahas)

I like to know that I have a “bad” bike but I’ve never crossed 100MPH nor have I ever done a wheelie (intentionally).  I did not “outride” the 800 nor have I even done a trackday, and I didn’t get permission to buy it.   I ride in full gear and exercise defensive and courteous driving habits and enjoy the hell out of my bike.

Buy what you want with your own money and enjoy it.  If you think you will like a S4RS, then I am SURE that you will.  Ride safely and enjoy the road.  No one here has traded their RS in for a 800 BTW.

Always nice to hear from you Stop. Smiley

silentbob
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 06:27:47 AM »

I was surprised how little difference there is on a straight line, going from my bike to a S4R - considering the huge power gain. I guess perceived power is more about torque and the difference is not as huge there.

Actually the smaller difference was between the S2R800 and the S2R1000.  There is a huge gap between the S2R800 and the S4RT.
Centerline

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »

Speed of Monster S4RS w/ Termi system maybe?Huh?........80mph is straight up on the guage, the speedo needle disappears passing 140mph.
Took it to just over 150 indicated.  A little more was left, but slow acceleration after 130.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l46EYgisrT4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l46EYgisrT4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:04:26 PM by Centerline » Logged

05 KTM 950 Adventure
07 Husqvarna TE 450
09 HD Fat Bob
09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »

Speed of Monster S4RS w/ Termi system maybe?Huh?........80mph is straight up on the guage, the speedo needle disappears passing 140mph.
Took it to just over 150 indicated.  A little more was left, but slow acceleration after 130.

Damn you man!
I was (almost) happy with my sensible and healthy plan - and then you re-post your video [moto]
Farewell savings/retirement plan, farewell any signs of maturity, farewell drivers licence  ........
Welcome back little devil on my shoulder........

Damn you man Cool

NAKID

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 11:52:48 PM »

I'm still looking for the 0-60 specs but the top speed and power specs I found here

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/bikes/Ducati_monster_S2R_1000.html

The difference isn't as pronounced as I thought it'd be on the top end (8 mph -- 130 to 138mph).

The other stats from the page

HP -- 77 to 95
weight -- 173kg to 178kg

Not sure where they got those numbers, as far as I know, Ducati hasn't posted top speeds for those bikes.

Personally, I had an S2R800 and now have a 1000.

The 800 on a flat road, I reached 130, terminal speed.

The 1000 I have had to about 141 and it still had more, I just didn't have anymore room.

IMO, the 1000 does everything that the 800 did better. Much better in fact. Hell, I beat the hell outa my 1000 and it still gets better mileage than my 800 did when I was being good.

There really is nothing I can say that would draw me back to the 800....

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: