Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:50:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed capabilities S4R - S2R  (Read 11450 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »

My bike is the S2R 800 and it's fast enough - for now.
In the (near?) future I might want an upgrade. For me to get an idea about what I can expect from a bigger bike can you tell me
top speed, 0-100 or similar information.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
jdubbs32584
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »

My bike is the S2R 800 and it's fast enough - for now.
In the (near?) future I might want an upgrade. For me to get an idea about what I can expect from a bigger bike can you tell me
top speed, 0-100 or similar information.

Just wanna make sure I understand you. You're pushing the s2r800 to the point where you can't go any faster and you're doing it regularly enough that you want to go faster than the 800 will allow?
CougarSlayer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »

Did 125 indicated in forth on my s2r1k.  Fastest I ever gone indicated was about 133 or 139 not sure absolutely did that once and that was it.  Keep the 800 you dont need to go any faster.  If you getting a larger bike for other reasons then upgrade later.  I had a 800 for 60 days then upgraded because I used to get clowned on, my friends thought it was too small for me.  I wish I would have kept it costs are far less.

-panthro

cc's are still 992
CougarSlayer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »

Did 125 indicated in forth on my s2r1k.  Fastest I ever gone indicated was about 133 or 139 not sure absolutely did that once and that was it.  Keep the 800 you dont need to go any faster.  If you getting a larger bike for other reasons then upgrade later.  I had a 800 for 60 days then upgraded because I used to get clowned on, my friends thought it was too small for me.  I wish I would have kept it costs are far less.

-panthro

Yeah my dimensions at the time were about 6'0" at 245.   Roll Eyes

cc's are still 992
ducpenguin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »

I am not sure what the S2R 800 is capable of...but the S4R is certainly capable of an easy 140+ on a highway...My reservation for not taking it any faster is that the windshield is more for looks than practicality!  I read that the S4R can hit 0-60 in 2.9-3.1 and 1/4 mile in 10.25 and Top speed of 156-164 (these are from memory, but close I think). 
Having said all of this, I would probably be hesitant to upgrade for speed but instead torque.  I think the S2R 800 probably has more than enough for driving on State roads.
Be safe and good luck!

ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

The 620 can do 140  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

CougarSlayer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:30:49 PM »

Well at 6'0" 230 and riding like a maniac on my s2r 800 I was able to get it up to 130 for an extended stretch without feeling insecure on the bike at all in 5th, I still had one gear to go.  Thats why I say keep the 800.  Not unless you are Ogre or some type of giant and need the extra muscle to  pull your fat a## around like I did. 

-panthro

cc's are still 992
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

Just wanna make sure I understand you. You're pushing the s2r800 to the point where you can't go any faster and you're doing it regularly enough that you want to go faster than the 800 will allow?

Top speed capabilities are fine as is (highest indication 135), but it's more about getting from one turn to the next without working the engine too hard. I do use all of it's torque and most of the revs on a regular basis - being able to go fast/hard without punishing the bike will save some maintenance costs in the long run? I already know that the 1k has about 35% more torque than mine. That's probably an important difference, but I'm still curious about what that actually means translated to the 1/4 mile or 0-60.

My thoughts on the upgrade is not the need to outrun anyone, just the need to have some numbers to compare. Let's say if the S4R does 0-60 in 3.0 , the 1k in 4.0 and my bike in 6.0 - then I would absolutely want the 1k. Anything less than one second slower would make me stick with the 800 and spend my money on other things.

Because of taxes here in Norway the upgrade will mean another $6k to the S2R1k or $17k to the S4RS. This means that there has to be a very noticeable gain for me to decide on the 1k engine. I know the gain of the S4R will be very noticeable ( Evil), but I don't think I'll ever miss that kind of power.

I'll narrow my question: 0-60 and/or 1/4 mile for the 800 versus the 1k?

oldjackbob

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:04:13 PM »

I must say, that's about as close to a blatant misquote as I've ever seen.   Roll Eyes

The OP never said any such thing. Re-read what he said -- "the S2R 800 [is] fast enough - for now" -- "In the (near?) future I might want an upgrade" (emphasis is mine).

He was simply inquiring into how much additional performance is available in up-line models.   [moto]

"You can't build a reputation on something you haven't done." -- H. Ford
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »

Here's *some* info here, nothing on S2r800 or S2R1k.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/122_0108_pDataResults/index.html

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
silentbob
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »

There are plenty of people on this board who can out ride an S2R800 without being as good as Rossi or Stoner.

No one can extract 100% from any machine, no matter how docile it is.  The human is the weak link in the equation.

That being said, there are riders here who will be faster on the larger bikes for many reasons.  The engine is more powerful, the upgraded suspension gives more confidence, the brakes provide better feedback and decreased stopping distance.

Not everyone who moves to a bigger bike is a squid.

The larger displacement bikes tend to make better street bikes too.  On the track you always know what to expect at each turn and you can keep the engine in its powerband.  In this case a small displacement bike can provide plenty of performance.  On the street things are unpredictable and you typically don't keep the engine spooled up while cruising.  So the broader powerband and larger HP of the bigger bikes allow you to ride more relaxed.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »

There are plenty of people on this board who can out ride an S2R800 without being as good as Rossi or Stoner.

No one can extract 100% from any machine, no matter how docile it is.  The human is the weak link in the equation.

That being said, there are riders here who will be faster on the larger bikes for many reasons.  The engine is more powerful, the upgraded suspension gives more confidence, the brakes provide better feedback and decreased stopping distance.

Not everyone who moves to a bigger bike is a squid.

The larger displacement bikes tend to make better street bikes too.  On the track you always know what to expect at each turn and you can keep the engine in its powerband.  In this case a small displacement bike can provide plenty of performance.  On the street things are unpredictable and you typically don't keep the engine spooled up while cruising.  So the broader powerband and larger HP of the bigger bikes allow you to ride more relaxed.

Language barrier: what's a squid?

You said it like I see it Silentbob - this would be my main reasons for an upgrade.

I checked the link you provided Speeddog. If it's fair to compare the 800 to "Sport 1000" or a "Supersport 900" - they have similar hp - then my bike is only a little more than a second slower on the 1/4 mile  Smiley If this is close to true then I will be happy to keep my bike and start rebuilding brakes/suspension.

COWBOY

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »

I'm still looking for the 0-60 specs but the top speed and power specs I found here

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/bikes/Ducati_monster_S2R_1000.html

The difference isn't as pronounced as I thought it'd be on the top end (8 mph -- 130 to 138mph).

The other stats from the page

HP -- 77 to 95
weight -- 173kg to 178kg
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:37:41 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

I must say, that's about as close to a blatant misquote as I've ever seen.   Roll Eyes

The OP never said any such thing. Re-read what he said -- "the S2R 800 [is] fast enough - for now" -- "In the (near?) future I might want an upgrade" (emphasis is mine).

He was simply inquiring into how much additional performance is available in up-line models.   [moto]

You're right, but I don't mind being "misunderstood". My post might even indicate that I wanted the baddest bike in my town? It happens all the time online, I guess. Thanks for the support anyway Wink

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »

Language barrier: what's a squid?

Not 100% accurate, but for the sake of this discussion: 'squid' = someone who rides a bike that is *way* more capable than the rider's skill level, and consistently rides beyond their skill level or beyond what is appropriate for the conditions.
IE, riding a literbike on a wheelie in heavy traffic.

You said it like I see it Silentbob - this would be my main reasons for an upgrade.

Additionally, and a bit of a counterpoint, your skill will improve faster on the smaller/less capable bike, because you can't use the extra capability to make up for your mistakes.
And it's really fun out-riding someone that has a better bike than you do.

I checked the link you provided Speeddog. If it's fair to compare the 800 to "Sport 1000" or a "Supersport 900" - they have similar hp - then my bike is only a little more than a second slower on the 1/4 mile  Smiley If this is close to true then I will be happy to keep my bike and start rebuilding brakes/suspension.

I'd say a Supersport 900 is the closest to your S2R800, other than the 900SS will do a tiny bit better on 1/4 mile speed due to the fairing.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: