Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:06:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Street Bike Tire Comparison...  (Read 4336 times)
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« on: November 06, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »

From another forum...warning, it's a long read... Grin

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/8285/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Street-Motorcycle-Tire-Comparison.aspx

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:19:57 PM by Gene V » Logged

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »

Thanks for posting that Gene.  A good read and timely as the 848 is going to need some new rubber soon. Just my luck it'll happen at the same time that the cam belts will need replacement.

What other forum did that come from?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »

What other forum did that come from?

Superhawk forum...

hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »

after yesterdays ride i am starting to gain more confidence in my Q2s
looks like i made a decent choice  Grin

it is so much easier to get forgiveness then it will ever be to get permission.
jabuan

11 M796

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »

i still don't see why metzeler sportecs don't get any love. i've had nothing but positive experiences with them on the inline 4 600s i've owned.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:27:32 AM »

I'm sure the Metzelers are fine and people that I know that have ridden them don't have bad things to say.  It's just that they don't have the cache' of the big names and Lord knows most of us ride so hard that we need all the super compounds that we can get our hands on.  Roll Eyes  However, there are some moments that, no matter how much we deceive ourselves, that we really feel much better knowing that there is some real good sticking going on down there. Ride behind someone with Battleaxe 003s or Pilot Pures and with all the stuff they pick up and throw back at you or run a finger across a tire or two when we stop for a break. (A real pro test for sure). Do we really need that stuff? Just like we need 150+ hp engines.  Grin

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »

Do we really need that stuff? Just like we need 150+ hp engines.  Grin

HERESY!!!

That is all... 
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »

New tires are immanent. The center grooves are down to the wear strips and seem to be wearing fast.  I'm down to three choices. The Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (I have had 3 sets of the regular Pilot Powers on bikes), the Bridgestone BT-016 (which is a special order tire if you're on this island, and $50.00 more per set than the other two tire choices) and the Dunlop Qualifier 2's.  Gene's test report thread might weigh these choices like this.  The Q2's, the BT-016's and then the 2CT's.  Locally the Q2's and the 2CT's are the same price. I'm a bit concerned about the Q2 lifespan, which might be a bit short given the weight of the tire and the grip it provides. On lots of boards most folks like the 2CT's over the BT's, saying that their bikes handle noticeably better with the Michelins compared to the Bridgestones. That's a bit contrary to the tire test results but, hey, these are real life comments. I had no complaints with the BT-016's that were on my Gixxer and the non-OEM tires are supposed to be even better. My only complaint, if you can even call it that, is that the Michelins are a bit slippery in the wet but so were the BT's.  I'm thinking about going with the 2CT's as they are closest to what I know best. BTW, Cycle Sports has a great deal on Pirelli Diable Corsa's or is that the Corsa Rosso's? I forget.  

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »

The CS deal is on the Diablo Rosso's.

DRKWNG
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:05:40 AM »

The CS deal is on the Diablo Rosso's.

I put Rosso's on the SD.  I'll be going back to Pilot Powers (or Pures) next time around. 
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »

Well, you know how I feel about the 2CTs versus the Corsa IIIs on the SF... waytogo

DRKWNG
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »

Well, you know how I feel about the 2CTs versus the Corsa IIIs on the SF... waytogo

How?  I'm curious...
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »

How?  I'm curious...

Transformed the bike, feels more flickable and responsive...turn in feels more natural, I believe it's the triangular vs round profile of the front tire...the Q2s reportedly have this feature also...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:36:44 PM by Gene V » Logged

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »

The Pilot Power Pures are breaking in nicely. Holding just fine now and I have almost wiped out the chicken strips on the rear. I wouldn't rate them any higher than the old Powers or the Power 2CT's. We'll see what's kickin' when these wear out but I reckon I'll go with the Qualifier 2's if nothing better is happening.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »

The Pilot Power Pures are breaking in nicely. Holding just fine now and I have almost wiped out the chicken strips on the rear. I wouldn't rate them any higher than the old Powers or the Power 2CT's. We'll see what's kickin' when these wear out but I reckon I'll go with the Qualifier 2's if nothing better is happening.

Yeah, I was going to ask you how they were doing as you seem to be comfortable on them, at least from my perspective... Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: