Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a deforming plastic gas tank on your Duc?  (Read 4591 times)
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« on: November 19, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »

This may be of interest...

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/19/Ducati.pdf
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:51:14 PM by Gene V » Logged

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »

BOOOO!
Damn leaches!

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »

Damn leaches!

Why so?...the plaintiffs are not out for money, there're just trying to force Ducati into fixing a problem that has existed for several years now.

MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:35:20 PM »

Truth be known that the aluminum tanks for the superbikes, unpainted, retail for less than the painted plastic tanks. There are no factory aluminum tanks for non-superbike models as far as I know.

Mine is dimpling & I have registered a complaint at least a year ago along with pictures taken by South Seas. No action as of yet but I still have lots of warranty remaining.

This is only a situation in countries, the USA for one, where the 10% ethanol gasoline is being used. I can understand why Ducati is dragging it's feet but maybe it takes the lawsuit to bring about lasting corrective change.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:42:23 AM »

Why so?...the plaintiffs are not out for money, there're just trying to force Ducati into fixing a problem that has existed for several years now.

Actually Gene, this particular group of attorneys are looking for punitive damages.  Izaak and Warren have done some research on their firm, and according to them, the firm has a history of patrolling the 'net and looking for causes to clamor to. Once then, they sue the shit out of whatever "culprit" is at hand, fix things for the little guy and reap the financial rewards themselves.  The case you mentioned is in no way related to the case that Izaak was starting, of which I signed on to be a plaintiff.  Izaak's specifically stated that the only monetary claims that would be sought are court related costs (not attorney fees) that are brought about.  The GirardGibbs firm are known to be bloodsuckers.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:48 AM »

Actually Gene, this particular group of attorneys are looking for punitive damages.  Izaak and Warren have done some research on their firm, and according to them, the firm has a history of patrolling the 'net and looking for causes to clamor to. Once then, they sue the shit out of whatever "culprit" is at hand, fix things for the little guy and reap the financial rewards themselves.  The case you mentioned is in no way related to the case that Izaak was starting, of which I signed on to be a plaintiff.  Izaak's specifically stated that the only monetary claims that would be sought are court related costs (not attorney fees) that are brought about.  The GirardGibbs firm are known to be bloodsuckers.

I stand corrected, I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet afterall... Sad

DRKWNG
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »

Read through this if you can.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=43639.0

Rick, I would suggest that you contact Izaak regarding SS not taking action on your tank.  He has an inside line to Ducati Spa and can get your case resolved pretty quickly.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

As long as it gets handled someday I'm not worried.  There is only minor pimpling and there's lots of warranty remaining.  I will keep it all in mind though.  Thanks!

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:45:45 PM »

what model bike (sorry if i missed that info.) if its a monster, there are at least a couple options
1) older model metal tank
2) CF tank

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »

2007 S4RS

No way I'd do a CF tank.  One drop of gas discolors it & it doesn't paint well.  If I was going to drop that kind of $$ I'd go aluminum anyhow.

Older steel tank?  Don't know the options but guessing FI vs. carbie = fail.  Do you know?

Isn't your current tank still under warranty?...

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »

2007 S4RS

No way I'd do a CF tank.  One drop of gas discolors it & it doesn't paint well.  If I was going to drop that kind of $$ I'd go aluminum anyhow.

Older steel tank?  Don't know the options but guessing FI vs. carbie = fail.  Do you know?

2001, 2002, 2003 and possibly 2004 Monster gas tanks were steel and fuel injected.  When did the plastic tanks start? 2004? 2005?

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »

i dont remember of the top of my head which tanks will/will not fit your year and model. its a little more complex for the s4r than the 2v monsters. you are going to want to check out this thread

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=541.0

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 08:18:09 AM »

Warranty=3rd owner=maybe=replacement plastic tank=fail. That was my original post here, how much more of something do you want that didn't work out in the first place?  When I bought the bike with 2k miles on it the tank was already at least 1/2" longer than would fit between the hinge mounts & the ignition.  Hinge bracket was already drilled out to move it back into the seat area.

As far as I've read the plastic tanks started on 2004 models.  So if I find a metal tank from a 2001-2003 FI Monster, that doesn't leak at the hinge, all I need to do is have it painted & I'm good?  Original displacement vice my 998 Testa is of no significance?

Anybody here got one laying around?

I have a 2003 620 that I need to get titled. It will be a process since the bike was last registered in california 4 years ago and is here now but without any Hawaii papers. Abandoned and given to me. If I can't get title to it I will part it out. What do you think about yellow?

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »

apparently NHTSA is investigating...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2010/PE/INOA-PE10045-8595.PDF

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: