Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 10:46:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Splinter' helmet concept  (Read 3715 times)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« on: December 14, 2010, 06:13:51 AM »

A student design concept for a full face helmet that makes it easy for EMTs to remove with minimal effort and chance of exacerbating a spinal injury. Just a students concept for now, but might be something we see one day.

http://www.gizmag.com/splinter-motorcycle-helmet-removal-by-paramedics/17218/

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »

Looks like a very clever idea!  My one concern - and I don't think it outweighs the benefits this device could convey - is that it'll be really tempting to untrained bystanders at an accident scene to see the "emergency release" tabs on the helmet and start messing with it, instead of leaving the rider's helmet on until trained paramedics take over the scene. Then again, they're already way too likely to start yanking at a downed rider's helmet anyway, so on balance an easy-off option would be a good thing.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
sisca77

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »

Very interesting innovation indeed... waytogo
Turf

Awesome > Logic

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »

How's this any better than the emergency cheekpad release that's been in some arai's for years?

Arai Emergency Cheek Pad Release System

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »

Cool idea. The problem is that more than likely the first responders will have no idea a helmet has this feature.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
battlecry

On a silver black phantom bike...

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »

Turf, I think part of the innovation is that the remaining foam provides a cradle like support for the neck after the helmet is removed.  EMT people are warned not to drop the head after removing the helmet.  This design may help a little in that regards.
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »

First thing that came to mind when I read the title of the thread:

And yes, I know he's Shredder, not Splinter.

Still, not a bad idea. Sort of like the removable cockpit system in F1 cars. I could see having the ability to pull the helmet off the top of the head without disturbing the alignment of the spine saving quite a few lives.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »

OK, but lets see it work after a rider has landed on his helmet/head at 50 mph..

i think it's a different ball of wax then..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
battlecry

On a silver black phantom bike...

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »

Ducatiz, no Alpaca? 
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »

Ducatiz, no Alpaca? 

lol

i change it up now and then

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: