Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cracked frame, carrier, pimpled tank  (Read 2504 times)
dawizzard

« on: December 22, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »

well here it goes.... i just discovered that on the right side of the 848 where the upper and lower tubing for the frame is supported by a corner gusset, that the gussets weld is cracking... it has a 3/32 long crack in it.....
sucks right... well... how about this
same bike... on the carrier for the rear wheels chain sprocket there is a hairline crack in there also....
im not done yet...
on the tank... there is a pimple/ swollen part of the tank....
now... for the frame.. dealer photographed the crack... and emailed to ducati... same for the carrier...
is it covered ... I DONT KNOW... Should be.. its within warranty .... but i have to wait for a response from ITALY to find out... give me a break... 1 to 2 months waiting.... anyways...
anyone have any similar problems with there crap?

im gonna be using this thread for ammo if this thing gets into mudslinging so PLZ KEEP THIS ON TOPIC
btw... its a 2009 pearl 848 with under 11000 miles on it... never dropped just babied
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:42:49 PM »

Welcome to Desmotropic!! My name is Rick but I'm also known as Mac. Coincidentally I also have a 2009 848, mostly Pearl White, and am only a couple hundred miles shy of 10,000 miles.  It took you from July until now to chime in?

I have pimples on my tank. They are there but you have to look a bit to see them. Ducati knows about my tank but I reckon it's not bad enough yet to do much about it. They likely have worse cases to get to before mine and that's OK with me as long as they get to mine someday.

You won't find much negativity against South Seas here. Will & Sean, et. al., help us all a whole lot so if you're planning on using anything in this thread as "ammo" and as sort of increased leverage, or whatever, you might get the lone ranger feeling. I can't see you not getting any legitimate warranty due to you but it might take more repeated effort and time than you might care for. Then again, maybe not. I know of three tanks that have already been handled although not on superbikes. So, just sayin............

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »

Should be covered by warranty as Rick stated...I'm sure that Will & Sean will do their best by you, but they still have to follow certain steps...the claim is sent to Ducati North America, and if approved, the parts are ordered from Italy.

I've had two claims on my 2010 Streetfighter...the first for a faulty dash module was rectified in less than two weeks after the problem was isolated...the second for an expanding gas tank, which at this point is not critical to the operation of the bike, took about two months.

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
dawizzard

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »

You won't find much negativity against South Seas here. Will & Sean, et. al., help us all a whole lot so if you're planning on using anything in this thread as "ammo" and as sort of increased leverage, or whatever, you might get the lone ranger feeling. I can't see you not getting any legitimate warranty due to you but it might take more repeated effort and time than you might care for. Then again, maybe not. I know of three tanks that have already been handled although not on superbikes. So, just sayin............

not looking for negativity against any of the people or the dealership, that is NOT my intent, ...  im looking for similar instances about there Ducati's ...  similar problems SO just to be crystal clear....  IF Ducati CORPORATE give's me a hard time about my repairs for any strange reason that could stop a 3000 dollar repair... wouldnt you want similar owners problems as an argument??

anyway it is the Frame of the bike.... and its a very important part of the bike... yes its a small crack in a gusset and not a load bearing/ strength bearing part of the frame...  but how did that crack get there?? hmmmm  answer? (read on)

when u find a defect such as a crack in a weld... that tells me that the frame is under stresses and the stress wants to get out of the frame.... also it tells me that the frame was not properly stressed relieved after welding
i did this crap for a very long time for Mercedes and none of my crush test welds ever failed... when i see welds fail, i know what went wrong... and why...   
it also raises another question....   what else is cracking that i cannot see???

anyways....  this is a very frustrating topic to me ...   the flippin bike is not even 1.5 yrs old yet... under 11000 miles....
 16 grand ..... and im getting these problems.....  maybe a Jap bike next time... Im just sayin... boo boo boo
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »

I'm going to be working on my bike over the next couple of weeks along with having Will do a 2 year service & replace the cam belts. You can bet I'll be going over the welds.

What can I say? Just document, document & document. Take pictures and send them yourself to all pertinent parties. Keep records of all of this. This is very rare and not at all an indictment of Ducati or Italian workmanship. You could just as easily have similar issues with the Japanese manufacturers and go through the same extended warranty hassle.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »

anyway it is the Frame of the bike.... and its a very important part of the bike... yes its a small crack in a gusset and not a load bearing/ strength bearing part of the frame...  but how did that crack get there??

You know, I would argue that it is a stressed member of the frame if the engineers saw fit to put a gusset there.  After all, the main purpose of having a gusset in place is to increase the surface area in order to dissipate the stress over a larger area. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: