Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Today article on bikes  (Read 6161 times)
OwnyTony

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »

I hope we don't see a rise in red-light running accidents as a result - who is at fault in that case? The guy who ran the red, legally, or the guy who was going through the green, legally?

I used to just hop off the bike and run over to press the pedestrian crossing button. Here in Montreal we don't have those stupid trip lights, thank jebus.
The guy who ran the red is at fault.  It's only legal if the path is clear.

As mentioned, there are rules as to when you can "ignore" the red light.  The laws are written in such a way so that you are "protected" from getting a ticket for it but if you get in a wreck while doing it, you are at fault.
x136

NIXON'S BACK!

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:24:54 AM »

When I was in California I noticed drivers on the freeways hardly ever changed lanes.  I think that's out of fear of hitting/respect for the bikes that could be zipping past them.

I don't know which California you went to, but it doesn't resemble the one I live in... Tongue

I didn't see CA mentioned as allowing the redlight running but I think they do.

Nope. Car, motorcycle, or bicycle, you're risking getting popped for that kind of maneuver. The advised alternative is to make a right turn and then do a U-turn.  Roll Eyes

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »

Nope. Car, motorcycle, or bicycle, you're risking getting popped for that kind of maneuver. The advised alternative is to make a right turn and then do a U-turn.  Roll Eyes

The problem is if you only discover that you don't set off the light after you've gotten into the front of the left-turn lane.  Then it's a bit hairy to dart across to make a right turn. Tongue

I would normally wait a couple of cycles and then go, but a few weeks ago was at one in Santa Cruz, a left turn off of Hwy 1, which was such a busy intersection that there was no chance for me to make it through.  I just had to sit and wait for a car to come up behind me.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 08:36:58 AM »

When I was in California I noticed drivers on the freeways hardly ever changed lanes.  I think that's out of fear of hitting/respect for the bikes that could be zipping past them.  Put that on the books on the east coast and the cagers would be making martyrs out of us for the first few years   Undecided

California drivers change lanes more than almost anywhere else I've been, I think.  Don't forget that passing on the right is legal here, so you get slow drivers in any lane, and people zooming around them on either side.

It seems that the vast majority of CA drivers are clueless that there may be bikes splitting Roll Eyes, there are a few who look out for you and move over to make room (mostly fellow riders I suspect) waytogo, and then there are a very few that try to block your way out of spite. Angry

Now, in Europe, it seems that everyone there knows to look out for bikes/scooters, splitting feels safer there. Smiley

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
silentbob
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

Motorcyclist Splatt Ratt of Palm Springs, Calif.

If my name were Splatt, I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle.
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »

My observations about CA traffic were made during a few days around LA.  Apparently not a very scientific sample size.  Comments withdrawn from the record Wink
Grappa

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »

There are some intersections where I feel a lot more safe running a red light to make a left turn, rather than sitting in the middle of a highway, at a complete stop, waiting for the light to change with cars zooming by you at highway speeds going both directions. 

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
eviltwin

eurotrash

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 10:35:07 AM »

I've heard that putting your kickstand down on the traffic sensor will trip it quicker than any of the magnet gizmos will.  I haven't had much of a chance to test it as I don't have much of a problem tripping lights.

i've also had luck with getting off the bike, running over and pushing the cross walk button.  Of course my kickstand is probably down on the sensor at that point too.  I just look cool running around the intersection too  laughingdp
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:37:36 AM by eVilTWIN » Logged

We are 138
Ducatiloo

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »

I've heard that putting your kickstand down on the traffic sensor will trip it quicker than any of the magnet gizmos will. 

+1 that works pretty well for me, plus it confuses the car behind you  Evil

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
erkishhorde

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »

+1 that works pretty well for me, plus it confuses the car behind you  Evil

So you put it on the seam in the road or in the middle of the patch?

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »

i've also had luck with getting off the bike, running over and pushing the cross walk button.  Of course my kickstand is probably down on the sensor at that point too.  I just look cool running around the intersection too  laughingdp

I was told by an Oregon cycle cop... that this was illegal... no clue what the ticket would be for... but it is something similar to having the whole party in a car get out and run around the car, and hopping back in, during a traffic stop. But I believe in the wait two cycles and then gun it.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »

It's the seam that triggers it. The seam is the only part that will read your bike, so if you are not over a seam... but in the middle of the patch... you are pretty much invisible.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
silentbob
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »

It's the seam that triggers it. The seam is the only part that will read your bike, so if you are not over a seam... but in the middle of the patch... you are pretty much invisible.

Not true.
Ducatiloo

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:07 PM »

If there is a square patch I put it down in the center of the patch.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
MendoDave
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »

I've heard that putting your kickstand down on the traffic sensor will trip it quicker than any of the magnet gizmos will.  I haven't had much of a chance to test it as I don't have much of a problem tripping lights.

It works. I started doing that after I got hassled by a cop In Corte Madera one night about 2AM. Stopped for the light and there was No one anywhere. after waiting for a few minutes and looking around i went. Then the lights came on so I stopped and he gave me a bunch of S*&$ and told me he'd write me up if I did it again etc...

So after that I tried the kickstand thing on the seam and it works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: