Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Today article on bikes  (Read 6160 times)
Mduc

« on: June 11, 2008, 06:10:28 AM »

Dont know how many saw this but its in todays USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-10-red-light-laws_N.htm

07 S2R1K
Mika

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:22:05 AM »

If we didn't have the right to go on red, I would have died of starvation, dehydration, or exhaustion waiting at a light a long time ago.

'05 Ducati S2R 800 - sold
'04 Ducati ST4s ABS Senna - sold
'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910
'08 MV Agusta F4R312
NeufUnSix

Masochistic Italophile

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:29:01 AM »

I hope we don't see a rise in red-light running accidents as a result - who is at fault in that case? The guy who ran the red, legally, or the guy who was going through the green, legally?

I used to just hop off the bike and run over to press the pedestrian crossing button. Here in Montreal we don't have those stupid trip lights, thank jebus.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:30:38 AM by NeufUnSix » Logged

"Why did my tractor just blow up?"
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:44:36 AM »

Best idea ever, must forward this to South African department of transport waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
bluemoco
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

'04 M800i.e. on a no (carbon) fiber diet.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:12:12 AM »

I love how the picture at the top of the article shows a guy Lane-Splitting on his Honda.    laughingdp  laughingdp

Maybe that's the next Moto law that some states will consider?

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy." - Donnie Wahlberg in "The Departed"

"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, badass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:15:23 AM »

Oh yeah!  I'm gotten in the habit of doing that on my own a lot more lately.  I didn't know it was actually sanctioned in some states.  Cool.  Now to write my state legislator...
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:20:57 AM »

I love how the picture at the top of the article shows a guy Lane-Splitting on his Honda.    laughingdp  laughingdp

Maybe that's the next Moto law that some states will consider?

At least he's in full gear -- a nice representation of us careful riders.  Lane splitting, I think is a long way off.  It requires a whole social paradigm shift for motorists.  When I was in California I noticed drivers on the freeways hardly ever changed lanes.  I think that's out of fear of hitting/respect for the bikes that could be zipping past them.  Put that on the books on the east coast and the cagers would be making martyrs out of us for the first few years   Undecided
erkishhorde

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:31 AM »

I didn't see CA mentioned as allowing the redlight running but I think they do. Something about having to wait 2 cycles of the light or 5 minutes I think. Could be wrong. It's usually not a problem except at night for me. During the day most lights are timers. I did have one incident where this old lady behind me refused to move forward to trigger the light so we amassed a line of 20 cars before I finally busted an illegal U in the middle of the road. I sat at that light for 15 minutes. Literally. I even got off my bike to ask the lady to move forward to try and trip the sensor but she wouldn't budge.  Angry

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
erkishhorde

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:54 AM »

When I was in California I noticed drivers on the freeways hardly ever changed lanes.  I think that's out of fear of hitting/respect for the bikes that could be zipping past them.

You must not have been in Ventura. I've almost been killed 5 times lane splitting through there. They wait until there's a semi coming up from behind you and then veer into you to try and push you into it.  Shocked Angry Good lesson to always move faster than both lanes of traffic your splitting between.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:40 AM »

I didn't see CA mentioned as allowing the redlight running but I think they do. Something about having to wait 2 cycles of the light or 5 minutes I think. Could be wrong. It's usually not a problem except at night for me. During the day most lights are timers. I did have one incident where this old lady behind me refused to move forward to trigger the light so we amassed a line of 20 cars before I finally busted an illegal U in the middle of the road. I sat at that light for 15 minutes. Literally. I even got off my bike to ask the lady to move forward to try and trip the sensor but she wouldn't budge.  Angry

Ok, THAT is hilarious!  "Young man, I am not falling for that trick!  You and your gang member friends are going to steal my pension check!"
cmorgan47

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »

i've heard of people putting rare earth magnets on the bottom of the bike to trip the inductive sensors
jorgemiranda

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:40:51 AM »

See... sometimes having all these old, non-synchronized lights in Chicago works out for the best! chug

2005 Ducati Monster 620. CycleCat Frame Sliders. Rizoma Mirrors.
Fox

succisa virescit

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:52:37 AM »

Ok, THAT is hilarious!  "Young man, I am not falling for that trick!  You and your gang member friends are going to steal my pension check!"

LOL

2008 KTM Duke 690
Triple J
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »

I hope we don't see a rise in red-light running accidents as a result - who is at fault in that case? The guy who ran the red, legally, or the guy who was going through the green, legally?

The guy who ran the red is at fault.  It's only legal if the path is clear.
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:02:20 AM »

I asked a moto cop in Los Gatos, CA about going through a red light if my moto didn't trip the light. He said that if he saw me he may ask me to go to the light again to see if it doesn't trip it. He did say that any cop could legally write you a ticket regardless how long you have to sit there. Some will and some won't.

I will go through a light if I have to wait more than one cycle.  Those magnetic things aren't very good (according to a couple of people I know who have tried them). I've never had a problem with our small Metro triggering a light. On my bicycle I go through most lights unless there is a lot of traffic Evil.

Is it June yet?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: