Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:06:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster trouble. Local help needed.  (Read 3904 times)
remy
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

Hey, this is a continuation of my woes on the forum-that-must-not-be-named.

Here's the back story:
So here's the story. My M695 has heated KTM grips installed. They've worked wonderfully and I fully recommend them. Unfortunately, even if you turn your motorcycle off, they can still draw battery power. I'm actually very surprised it has taken me a full winter season to finally forget to turn them off when I left my bike. They ended up draining my battery completely (even the little yellow 'security' light wont flash.
Here's what I've tried:
1. Bump start: I've since turned off the heated grips so no extra power will be drawn. My first few attempts I rolled down my driveway in second gear, key on, fast idle on (kill switch on, too!) and tried to start it. I can get a little tiny grumble from the engine, but nothing much. Next I had my g/f push me down the street while I ran with it and we still got the same result when letting out the clutch, but nothing more.
2. Jump start: I can get enough power for the gauges to go through their little startup routine but the starter still wouldn't do anything, even after the vehicles (both have matching 12V batteries) have stayed connected for quite a few minutes.
3. Checked fuses: All of my fuses seemed fine except the starter fuse had a little tiny bit of a burnt look to it so I replaced it with a spare. I don't think it was actually burnt out, but just to be sure it now has a new fuse.
4. Jump start with new fuse: Same exact results as before. Fuse still looks OK.
5. Bump start with new fuse: Same exact results as before.

I'm out of ideas! This is about all the information I can think to give you guys/girls. If anyone could possibly come by to help me or maybe post up some ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Here's the update:
I got a battery tender today so we'll see if the battery can hold a charge with that before I go spending more $$ on a new battery, although it sounds like that might be necessary if there was cell damage. After it's been on the tender I'll use the red key in case there was ECU fuzziness due to me jumping the bike.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »

Weekend is coming. PM if it doesn't look like you'll sort if out.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
duckwrench13

This thing sounds broken...

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »

Still no dice? I'm about to go under the knife, so I won't be able to make any house calls for a while. If all else fails, maybe you can truck it over here, and I can knock it out. wt:

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
Combat Veteran, Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan 2006-2007
Michael Moore
Testa di cazzo
WebGeeK

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »

Did you try throwing a trickle charger on the battery?

La nuova moto e il vecchio motociclista :: 2000 Monster 900 (il vecchio) :: 2008 Vespa GTS (doppio) :: 2010 Streetfighter S ("il PastaBusa")

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »

Did you try throwing a trickle charger on the battery?

Wink

Here's the update:
I got a battery tender today so we'll see if the battery can hold a charge with that before I go spending more $$ on a new battery, although it sounds like that might be necessary if there was cell damage. After it's been on the tender I'll use the red key in case there was ECU fuzziness due to me jumping the bike.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
remy
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:14:03 PM »

Thanks for answering that question Someguy! hah.  be::

It's on the charger now. We'll see if it takes hold.
EEL

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:24:51 AM »

During your next tuneup session, interlock that $hit with the kickstand or the ignition switch.
remy
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:26 PM »

Excellent call, EEL. Once I get it running again that will be my next adjustment.
duckwrench13

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »

Excellent call, EEL. Once I get it running again that will be my next adjustment.

When you get it running, bring it by and I'll wire 'em correctly. I'm gonna be stuck at home for the next 2 months, so I'm gonna need schtuff to do! wt:

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »

When you get it running, bring it by and I'll wire 'em correctly. I'm gonna be stuck at home for the next 2 months, so I'm gonna need schtuff to do! wt:

You keep saying things like that. Don't make me bring you projects.

remy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »

Well, the battery tender did what push starting and jumping couldn't do. I don't know if it was the extended period of time, the steady trickle of low amp energy or what, but my battery actually decided to hang on to the charge. The tender never said it got the battery full or even 80% recharged, but I decided to throw it back on the Monster anyway and give it a shot. Using the red key, I hit the starter and the engine made the first signs of turning over. I wrenched on the fast idle and gave it WOT and the exhaust note boomed out of the bike, bounced off the side of the house and sounded like music when it hit my ears. I wrapped up the heated grip wires and twist tied them to the frame, put on my gear and went for a ride. Everything felt good and strong and after a while of letting the bike charge up the battery I came back home and shut it off. I then grabbed my black keys and fired it up right away. The big test then was to see if it would hold the charge overnight. This morning I tried to start it and it fired up like a champ. Whoooo! It's great to know my battery is ok, the ECU is undamaged, and that I was able to troubleshoot and solve everything w/out taking it to a shop.
Thanks everyone.

duckwrench, I'll give you a few days/weeks of rest after the surgery and then take you up on the offer to figure out a new method of wiring up the grips.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:23:07 AM by remy » Logged
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »

Glad you got it working! waytogo

Someguy wired my grips into my taillight.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:03:26 AM by msincredible » Logged

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
duckwrench13

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »

Coolness! Just drop me a line when you want to wire 'em up.

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »

Glad you got it working! wt:

Someguy wired my grips into my taillight.

Yup! Bike goes off, grips go off.  wt:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: