Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:04:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping a bike to Hawaii?  (Read 2855 times)
Itsasickness
Old Soul but....

« on: February 26, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »

Hey All,

Wanted to see if anyone knew what it costs to ship a bike from California to Hawaii.  A buddy of mine is moving down to HI and wanted to know if it makes more sense $$ to buy a bike up here and ship it or wait until he gets to Hawaii.

thanks and cheers

It's been real, it's been fun, it's been real fun!
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »

DRKWNG... Paging DRKWNG!

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
BCMonster

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »

I used to live in Hawai'i and it would all depend on what bike he is thinking of. Some bikes are more valuable there and you can make up the price of shipping on resale. Call Matson shipping at 1-800-462-8766 to get a price. You can ship from Oakland or Long Beach. You DO NOT want roll on service, you want the bike in a container otherwise it is on deck and will arrive covered in salt. At the end of the day you will pay for the shipping anyway, either yourself, or to the dealer in an increased price to compensate for the shipping he has to pay. Everything is expensive there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:08:05 PM by BCMonster » Logged
Itsasickness
Old Soul but....

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

Thanks BC  waytogo

It's been real, it's been fun, it's been real fun!
WillS

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

best is to put the bike in a motorcycle crate, covered, and ship it using DHX.
 but it may be more cost effective to buy here, it all depends on what he wants and then the sales guy.

DRKWNG
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

Where in California is your friend coming from?  I shipped two bikes down to Oahu, and one off island when I left.  I used the Pasha group each time, and they were an absolute dream to deal with.  It cost just over $600 (at the time) for one way shipping from the port in San Diego straight to Honolulu.  They have very nice, moto specific pallets that the bikes roll onto and then get strapped down.  From there, the pallet is forked into their RO-RO ship and kept inside the entire way.

I whole-heartedly recommend Pasha if you're either in, or can get the bike down to San Diego!   waytogo

I talked to quite a few people who had used Matson to ship bikes, and found many instances of their bikes being damaged.  Couple that with the fact that they charged quite a bit more, and you have no idea what else might go into that container with your bike...  Well, you be the judge.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:42:57 PM by DRKWNG » Logged
WillS

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:32 PM »

i hear pasha is doing a ride on for inter island
DRKWNG
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:22:30 AM »

I think you're right Will. I seem to remember them mentioning a stop off at the big island when I was booking the SD's shipping.
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

Mine was right at $1000 from Oakland. I used a motorcycle shipping company, not Matson. Bike came out of the crate in perfect shape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: