Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket left switch cluster  (Read 4161 times)
CRASH!

« on: May 06, 2008, 04:59:48 PM »

I checked the FAQ and there's nothing there Grin

My horn button is dead so I won't pass inspection this month. What's the word on a replacement left switch cluster for old ('99 carby) Monsters? My understanding is that there's nothing that's a simple plug-in. What's the best thing to get and is it straightforward to cut the connector off the old one and solder it to the new switch set?

thx
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »

You can completely take the switch cluster apart with a Phillips screwdriver.  It's a little tricky, but not impossible.  Then just clean the contacts in there and it will work as good as new.  While you have it apart, it's a good idea to put some dielectric grease on all of the electrical connections and contacts.  You can get that at any auto parts store.

My horn was the same way, but now works like it's supposed to after cleaning the switches in there.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
2001cromo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:33:30 AM »

+1 on what Scott is saying. That should be an easy fix.

But if for some reason it's not, then that switch you're looking for Chris Kelly sells at CA-cycleworks, look under "K&S dual sport left hand switch w/light shut-off".  They also have another one that looks more like the current switch design.
Here's a pic.

I've made that one myself and it's a little daunting if you're electrically challenged, but certainly not impossible.  I made mine so that the LED goes on when the lights are on (since you now have a switch).

HTH
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »

The horn switch itself, inside the cluster, can become disengaged from it's proper place.

One end of the plate fits into a little socket, and it can pop out if you really mash the button.
Disassemble the switch, remove the one screw that holds the plate in place, and you can re-fit it.

Then, reassemble.
It is a bit tricky, as Scott said.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Sause

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »

Inspection?

You don't need no stinkin inspection!!!! Last time I was pulled over by a :leo: he looked at my bike, then a friends GSX-R 600. Neither are inspected but I put a spare registration sticker over the inspection spot on the plate. Nothing on the fork...

He asked my friend where his inspection sticker was and almost gave him a ticket :e:v

I've also had my bike impounded and been pulled over for my tail light being out, not once any trouble about my inspection. Which reminds me that I should pay that ticket soon...

Still you'd be better safe then sorry.

2000 Ducati M750
  Ohlins Rear
  Clip On's
  Carbon High Mounts
1999 KTM EXC 250
DY

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »

why is the high-beam flicker switch labeled at "kill switch" ?
CRASH!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »

Ah cool. This is all making sense. I did drop my bike in an intersection once and the button got mashed in (as did the tank Grin).
The switch still kinda worked after that, if I pulled it out with a small screwdriver. Now...not so much.

Sounds like a one beer job, but I'll be sure to have a couple of cold backups dr::
DesMotion

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »

I am swapping switches, old plug to new switch. It's easy. Basic soldering skills and a camera to find your way home with wire routing.

If all else fails, I have the older style switch with good parts, but no harness. You want it? $12.50 shipped? Or I can sell you a new style switch and you can convert it or send me yours to convert?

Chris
Sacramento, CA

Chris Saraceni                

Call me if you need something...
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »

They sell used clusters on ebay, but taking it apart is probably the better way to go.

or

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
CRASH!

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

Follow-up

I took the switch apart as recommended and found that all I had to do was snap the switch back into position. All contacts were good. I tried to wedge something non-conductive in there to keep it from popping out again but it was late, I was tired. I gave up.

It works like new for the moment. It'll certainly get me through inspection Grin

Thanks for kicking me in the but and convincing me to try to fix it before spending money chug
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:14:17 AM »

Follow-up

I took the switch apart as recommended and found that all I had to do was snap the switch back into position. All contacts were good. I tried to wedge something non-conductive in there to keep it from popping out again but it was late, I was tired. I gave up.

It works like new for the moment. It'll certainly get me through inspection Grin

Thanks for kicking me in the but and convincing me to try to fix it before spending money chug

BTW, how often do you actually crash CRASH!?

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »

I now seriously need a little bell on my handlebars. With ladybugs. My son would die of embarrassment, and that alone would be worth it.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: