Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:39:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible for this broken clutch to have only 3k Miles? UPDATED!!  (Read 6653 times)
NAKID

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »

The law requires him to note on the title if the mileage on the odometer isn't actual mileage...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:13 PM »

The law requires him to note on the title if the mileage on the odometer isn't actual mileage...

True.
Depends how much the OP's time and energy are worth to pursue it.

It sucks to get taken on a deal.
But getting a little bling and getting back on the bike is a good way to leave it behind.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
beestiboy

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

If that is the original clutch, i think there would be other signs of damage.  Are the tires OEM?  How do they look?  I would look closely at the valve train for carbon deposits and other things like that to see if the actual milage is higher than 2800.

My guess is that you got a bike with 2800 miles and a well used clutch from another bike.

put the broken clutch pieces along with your poop in a paper bag, set it on fire on his porch, and run.

He will figure it out from there.
Desmo Demon

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 04:50:19 AM »

I don't necessarily "baby" any of my bikes and the Ducatis see a lot of abuse on the mountain twsities between elevation changes and constant gear changes. My OEM ST2 clutch has nearly 36k miles on it and it's still 100x's better than that clutch.

Places I've been on two wheels:

IBA #32735
Duc Stamp

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 06:23:47 AM »

I think he unplugged the guages, you should be able to tell by his body language if he is lying, watch for his eyes shifting to the left...

Common misperception here.  Without doing a proper "baseline", there is no way to tell if this is what he does when making something up.
duc996

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 06:36:41 AM »

The good ole switch a roooo!!!!!

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 06:38:40 AM »

Bummer on that clutch... well you're coming up on the 6k service anyways - so might as well knock that out while it's in the shop. 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
marsrr

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »

I did no mean unplugged. I meant he replaced the original with 20k miles with a new one with zero miles and then just rode it for 2,800 and said.. here.. take this brand new bike..  bang head
                                                                                                                                                                                                                               you would not have to unplug the gauges to stop the odo. all you do is change the break rotor to a race type with out sensor pins or just unhook the sensor at the rear break mount and wire it to the break carrier. the bike would run fine but you would have no speed/miles show on gauges! just my 2 cents .                                                                                                                                                                                                                   but if the bike looks as good as you say it would be hard to believe that it could have so many miles.   Is this the bike on your avatar?.  I wonder if maybe he had a buddy that roach that clutch some how knowing guy was selling bike they swap it out. there no end to the questions about that clutch. that thing is roached so bad that the cush drive may have damage. but as I'm typing I just thought to my self!!!!  maybe he broke it trying to remove clutch basket or something?  Roll Eyes I dont remember but was the basket tangs really grooved out?....any way I'm just really interested in this I cant imagine even dumping the clutch hard every time would do that  ?    Roll Eyes
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »

My bet is old racebike clutch parts into the low mile S4R basket so he could run the racebike one weekend.  Go ride the S4R hard for awhile forgetting the junk parts are in there.  Here is the result. (your pictures)  If a private party acquisition -- you really don't have much recourse -- it would cost more $$$/time to deal with then the return.  Thus upgrade the basket / clutch parts as required. 

As for the bike?  If you have no service records for it -- and given it being a few years old -- I'd assume "no service" done.  Belts and probably a decent tuneup are required and cheap insurance for yourself now against further problems in the future.

marsrr

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »

I just looked at the pics again....THERE IS NO WAY THOSE PLATES AND BASKET CAME FROM THAT BIKE 2800 MI ON THAT CLUTCH MY ASS! that bike would look like that clutch before all that !!!  sorry dude you got hosed on that deal! unless he gave you a smokin deal on that bike knowing that you needed to replace that clutch......And if he was at the track and was in a bind and needed to snatch the clutch out of that bike I could see that but to put that thing back in that bike why? no way!                                                                                                                                                                       well I dont know what he sold or told you but putting that clutch in a bag with poop a pretty good idea! also a good ol fashion red brick through window  Grin.........anyway 2800mi  NO WAY  ........just get it replaced and go ride you forget all about dude!    waytogo          
DucDodgers

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »

Approach the seller, tell him that your mechanic said the clutch was probably swapped out and see if he'll cover the cost of a new clutch. Don't tell him a bunch of guys on the internet said so after seeing some pics off your phone. If he's refuses then ask him to cover half. Give the guy a few options, maybe try to set a set of spare track days tires he might have lying around, an extra jacket or helmet try to yet something. If he refuses to do anything for you kick him in the nuts and run.
Don't loose too much sleep over it, if you can get something back cool. If not write it off as some people are A**holes and will get there's in the end. But don't let this take away from your summer of riding, it just one more story to tell about your bike.
marsrr

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »

Approach the seller, tell him that your mechanic said the clutch was probably swapped out and see if he'll cover the cost of a new clutch. Don't tell him a bunch of guys on the internet said so after seeing some pics off your phone. If he's refuses then ask him to cover half. Give the guy a few options, maybe try to set a set of spare track days tires he might have lying around, an extra jacket or helmet try to yet something. If he refuses to do anything for you kick him in the nuts and run.
Don't loose too much sleep over it, if you can get something back cool. If not write it off as some people are A**holes and will get there's in the end. But don't let this take away from your summer of riding, it just one more story to tell about your bike.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    here here  waytogo but as to used track tires they are worth less you dont won't them... you would be wasting you time with them. but if the guy did'nt tell you about the clutch then I think you would also be wasting you time with him as well.
NAKID

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »

How could you complain since you got such a good deal? Ummm maybe because he didn't tell you the bike was freakin broken. What an ass....

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

Anyways, if you know this guy's nickname..maybe the moderators could do some cyber justice and ban him from this forum for being a real life crook! 

I removed the name and location you posted as that is against forum rules.  This is very different than having an issue with a company.   If the guy shows up and starts selling bikes here regularly then you can post in those threads and tell the entire story.  But we won't have this place used to form lynch mobs over individual sales.

I feel for you and agree you got screwed.   But that is a personal matter and the forum admins can not and will not get involved in it.  Sorry.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Dave R

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »

I might suspect that the guage pack may have failed once and was replaced..  Might ask the previous owner or see if the shop he had the bike serviced at has any record of a swap.   

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: