Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:45:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible for this broken clutch to have only 3k Miles? UPDATED!!  (Read 6650 times)
phildo

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

How many miles do you guys get on a clutch??
I am on my third clutch pack at 15000 miles.
Just put it in. It will need a new basket on the next change.
So mine are lasting around 6-7 thousand miles.
duc996

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »

I really appreciate everyone's posts, support and advise. The worse of all is that I won't be able to ride my bike until its fixed.

Now, I talked to the previous owner and even emailed him the pictures of the clutch. He says that he does not know how that could have happened since he is not a tech. He assured me that he never swapped them. Also, that how could I complaint about it being that he gave me such a good deal on the bike. Bottom line is that he is a liar and an ass! I won't be getting a penny from him, BUT.. since we did the transaction on eBay, I may qualify for buyer's protection. I may be reimbursed by eBay! I am waiting for them to reply and tell me how to proceed with a claim and what can I get back if anything, maybe pay the replacement parts and labor. I will let you all know how this develops so that you know what to do if this should ever happen to you on eBay.
Do you believe in KARMA? Wink don't worry about it,what goes around comes around.Hope you get your ride soon!!!

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
NAKID

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »

That sounds a bit low to me. You must be REALLY hard on those clutches...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Stangman
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »

Yep those are most certainly not from that bike.  Unless he did nothing but bang gears from a dead stop over and over again for 3000 miles I don't think there is anyway you could end up with a set of plates  looking like that.  My 13000 mile plates didn't even look that bad.

The most expensive part will be the basket and the labor to change the basket unless you have the right tools.  Baskets are like $250 plus whatever labor.  The plates themselves are not bad at all if you get a Barnett pack, I think they are around $150.

Have the rest of the bike looked over real carefully by the mech just to be safe.

Hey it happens....I bought my first car when I was 16.  I saved up for almost 2 years and a guy I worked with told me his brother was selling a car and he could get me a deal on it.  So I purchased the car from his brother.  2 weeks later the motor grenaded.  A few months later I learned him and his brother knew the car was toast and had rigged something to make it run for a bit longer so they could sell it.
I was pissed but I learned a good lesson.  waytogo

If it's just the clutch, I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you.  Life's too short to let it get to you.  Pay the bill and get out and ride!  waytogo
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »

You would be surprised at what some people can do to a bike.  A few years back I saw a 748arrive for it's 600 mile service in the back of a truck.  Why in the back of a truck you ask?  Rashed on both sides, burnt clutch, hole in the engine case from the snapped chain.
Triple J
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »

I wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that there's still honest and fair people in this world.

I got lucky and the previous owner of my bike is one of those people!

He agreed to pay for half of the cost of repairing the clutch. I think that is a fair offer. Someone else wouldn't even return my emails. He already submitted a payment through paypal. So I am on the look for cheap plates and basket. Any advise?  waytogo

For the record: He swears that the clutch you see on the pics is the original clutch with real 3k miles. This guy is serious I do believe him.
So we can conclude that it is possible to somehow wear and break plates in the OEM clutch in 3k miles.

Good to hear!  waytogo  Try www.ca-cycleworks.com (Chris is awesome) or www.desmotimes.com (LT has some nice clutch options) for a new clutch.
Triple J
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

I have 15K on my MTS1000 stock clutch.  It's a little loud but still works great.

My M900 had 15K on the original clutch when I sold it...again, a little loud but worked great.  Also did 3 trackdays on this bike.

Are you replacing yours based on the Ducati recommended tolerances?  I ignore those, as my plates are well out of tolerance.  My clutch will get replaced when it starts acting up.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »

I wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that there's still honest and fair people in this world.

He agreed to pay for half of the cost of repairing the clutch. I think that is a fair offer. Someone else wouldn't even return my emails. He already submitted a payment through paypal. So I am on the look for cheap plates and basket. Any advise?  waytogo

For the record: He swears that the clutch you see on the pics is the original clutch with real 3k miles. This guy is serious I do believe him.
So we can conclude that it is possible to somehow wear and break plates in the OEM clutch in 3k miles.

You might want to go back and edit some of the bad things you said about this good guy.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Cucciolo

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »

You might want to go back and edit some of the bad things you said about this good guy.
In case you did not notice.. I did that already.  waytogo
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 07:27:49 PM »

In case you did not notice.. I did that already.  waytogo
I hadn't....

Great idea.   Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Dave R

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »

It is possible to trash a clutch quicker than that but it is not common.  I have seen customers who struggle with the hydraulic actuated clutch vs cable actuated they are familiar with.  They attempt to slip the clutch lever out slowly while adding more revs..feeding it in so to speak. With the hydraulic system there is a more positive engagement point vs cable.     Most assume the wet clutch vs dry clutch is the difficulty but I have found it has more to do with the engaging of the clutch.   Attempt to continuously ride or slip the clutch and you will hammer it quickly..     

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
Cucciolo

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

Attempt to continuously ride or slip the clutch and you will hammer it quickly..     

You mean feathering the clutch will prematurely wear it like that? by this I mean.. When slowing down and down shifting, instead of matching the revs to road speed by blipping the throttle, I feather it, (slowly let go of the clutch to match revs to speed and prevent locking the rear wheel )
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »

Glad to hear the good news. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Dave R

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »

You mean feathering the clutch will prematurely wear it like that? by this I mean.. When slowing down and down shifting, instead of matching the revs to road speed by blipping the throttle, I feather it, (slowly let go of the clutch to match revs to speed and prevent locking the rear wheel )

I am referring to off the line, starting off.  sorry for any confusion.

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:20 AM »

Normal riding certainly won't do do that to a clutch, and hard riding won't do that to a clutch in 3k miles.  You'd have to beat the snot out of it pretty much constantly to get that kind of wear that quickly.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: