Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:16:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bent Rim on a New Bike (Pic's included)  (Read 3379 times)
blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« on: June 12, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

I was crossing a 4 line RR crossing today. There was a huge chuckhole next to one of the rails. Bumpy as hell and no way to avoid it. I unweighted the bike as much as I could but that's all there was time for. I wasn't going very fast but I knew it was bent as soon as I hit it. It was an impact. This is the result.

What's my next step here. Can this be fixed? I figured I'd take it to the dealership. If it's a total loss I'm unsure what to do. It was delivered with a scratch on the back rim. The shop manager said he could paint it (and did a great job) but not get a new one as there aren't any gold ones available.?.?.

I know this is an expensive rim and if it's totaled I'm filing a claim on my insurance. I had it up to about 90 a few times on the way home and didn't feel anything unusual. I can't stand the thought of fifling a claim though.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ths is an 08 S4RS that has 1800 miles on it. It's 2 months old.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Grappa

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:23 PM »

I used to work in a garage and would see car rims like that all the time.  Would just lay it on the ground with the tire off the rim, and bang it back into place with a hammer.  Those were steel rims though, looks like you've got magnesium?

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »

If its not leaking can you live with it?

M-ROCin' it!!!
blue tiger

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »

There forged aluminum not magnesium. I'll have to get the dealers impression of the safety. I'm not sure if I can live with it either way. I'm really hoping they have a place to send it that can straighten it. I'm going to be looking around for that service for sure.

Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »

Yeah most cities will have at least a rim straightening shop or two. Yellow Pages my friend... it doesn't look beyond repair to me.

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
Spike

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »

Try these guys. They do great work. waytogo

www.framestraightsystem.com
55Spy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »

if it's not folded or cracked it can be saved.

Google and thte yellow pages are about to become your close friends
slyfox

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »

If it does not leak, I'd live with it.

I know it could be repaired by heating the metal up & knocking but I just could not trust those shops that do the repair job to a motorcycle rim. I just love my life. Wink
CairnsDuc
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:21:33 PM »

Still gotta bring a Tear to the Eye to see though, It still amazes me how I have not damaged a rim up here in Northern Australia, Our roads are Goat tracks  bang head
monster monkey
After I Eat, I Am A

That Really Is Me, I Promise!

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »

I would want a new rim but, as a tech, if it's not leaking you can have it rebalanced to even out any variation caused by the bend. This can be temporary until you get the goods  waytogo

Everytime I'm on two wheels, the streets part, heavens open, and hearts pound

The heart pounding is true, at least...
silentbob
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »

There forged aluminum not magnesium. I'll have to get the dealers impression of the safety. I'm not sure if I can live with it either way. I'm really hoping they have a place to send it that can straighten it. I'm going to be looking around for that service for sure.

They are cast aluminum and bending it back may weaken it or even crack it.  I would leave it alone unless it bothers you to look at it.  If you can't get more gold ones from the dealer then just get a black one and get it powder coated. 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »

These folks are real good.  Reasonable price, quick turn around.  They do not paint though, and there is a good possibility paint will be disturbed.  They use slow pressure and some heat to prevent work hardening, and if there is a safety risk they won't do it.

http://www.mcwheel.com/
blue tiger

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 03:25:29 AM »

They are cast aluminum and bending it back may weaken it or even crack it.  I would leave it alone unless it bothers you to look at it.  If you can't get more gold ones from the dealer then just get a black one and get it powder coated. 

I thought they were forged not cast. It doesn't matter becuase one from the dealer would be very expensive. Some of these links look pretty good and I might give them a call after going to the dealership. I could just let it go provided it's safe but danm, it's a brand new tricolore that has less than 2000 miles on it. It (was) is totally cherry and that bent rim will piss me off every time I look at it. Thanks for alll the help !! I'll continue to update this thread when I find out more.

Duc L'Smart

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:51:56 AM »

Crap.  Not a good start on a new bike. Tongue
Hope you're enjoying the bike otherwise waytogo
I had a rim straightened by a place near Denver. They did a great job! I'll see if I can find them.

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:09:19 AM »

I used Woody's. Tighter tolerances than others, & much cheaper than buying a new rim waytogo

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/moto_wheels.shtml

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: