Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 01:20:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: track day question  (Read 6366 times)
cbartlett419
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:55:38 PM »

ok so there's a track day coming up and, quite frankly, I have no idea what that is. I understand the fundamentals (people ride their motorcycles on a track) but that's about it. what's required of me and my ride? what's it cost? what's the process? track etiquette? or anything else that would broaden my understanding would be cool too
Pedro-bot

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »

ok so there's a track day coming up and, quite frankly, I have no idea what that is. I understand the fundamentals (people ride their motorcycles on a track) but that's about it. what's required of me and my ride? what's it cost? what's the process? track etiquette? or anything else that would broaden my understanding would be cool too

Attending a track day is FREE!  Grin

Riding costs $$ depending on the track and track organization that hosts the event.

If you're interested in checking out what it's all about without committing just swing by during one. I'm sure Frank will chime in with details on what a track day entails. I'm too lazy and too tired to go into detail about it. It's bedtime....sorry Chris Tongue

If he doesn't chime in I'll gladly post up some better details tomorrow.  waytogo

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Red5

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »

Chris,

The main purpose of attending a track day is to learn and test your skills as a motorcyclist on a closed course circuit.
Without cars or semi-trailer trucks.  Without police chasing you for speeding.  Without errant gravel spots or oil slicks.  Without soccer moms mindlessly weaving into your lane in her 2-ton Navigator 'cause she's chatting on her cell phone.
You get the idea.

You will learn proper throttle control, proper body positioning, proper entry lines going into a corner, and other goodies.
All of which can translate to you being a better rider on the street.
I've always said that I'd unlearned over ten years of bad riding habits in just a couple of trackdays.
If you go in with a relatively open mind, I guarantee you that you'll get something positive out of it.

For bike requirements, refer to this post:
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

For riding apparel, most local organizations require a full-face helmet, leather gloves, over-the-ankle boots, and a 1-pc or 2-pc motorcycle suit (preferably leather, but some places allow textile suits such as Aerostitch's if you're in Beginner level).

As Joe mentioned, cost varies with the track used and the organization holding it.
Duc L' Smart posted a list of the local organizations:
http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=2000.0

All have their pros and cons. 
RideSmart is considered the cheapest overall per trackday, but also the most crowded.  TTD has the most weekend dates, but is also one of the more expensive schools.
LSTD is the most organized IMO.

Signing up with any of these organizations is usually done through their websites.  Pay online, and show up at the appointed date and location.
Walk-ups *can* be done, but you take your chances with the more popular tracks/weekend dates selling out early.

Wouldn't worry about track etiquette; the instructors will let you know of the riding rules during classroom sessions held for Beginners when off the track.
Just don't be stuffing people into the corners on your first session out, and you'll be fine.

Next one for me will either be on the 21st (ridesmart) or 22nd (lstd) of this month.
Both will be at TWS in college station.
There should be other dates coming up at closer venues, such as MSR-H in Angleton.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:27:21 AM by Red5 » Logged

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
'03 CBR600RR (track bike)
DesmoLu
If only he'd had a

"You're like a stray wild animal" -- my ex

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »

Chris, thanks for posting this question! I'm seriously thinking about doing my first track day sometime in the next few months as well.

bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »

If a small track day is more of your thing, AMS has private days with Jeff Nash every few weeks.  Only rub is that it's usually on Thursdays.  But you get a solid 3hrs of riding in and there are only about 12 people on the track.

I did my first track day at the private day and it was great to get personal feed back

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »

Close your eyes & imagine yourself on fabulous roads, big sweepers, tight switchbacks, elevation changes, good road surface, but no debris, obstacles, cages, traffic signs, animals, etc... You go at your own pace (as you always should do anyway), & you really get to learn the road, & there's experts watching you & giving you personalized instruction.
It's the best & safest way to learn the limits of your bike & improve your already mad skillz waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
cbartlett419
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »

that's what I was looking for, thanks fellas
hiero

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »

hey, let me know when you decide to do your first, I'm looking to do one too

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Red5

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »

hey, let me know when you decide to do your first, I'm looking to do one too

For you newbies that are considering doing your first trackday, there are two dates coming up in July at a nearby track: MSR-Houston.
Located off hwy 288, about 35 minutes south from downtown Houston.
http://www.msrhouston.com/

LSTD is holding a date there on July 4th.
And Longhorn (Buck Beasley) is holding a "noob-only" day there on July 19th.

IMO... MSR-Houston might be better suited for a Monster; Texas World Speedway is more fun with a SBK or a liter bike.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:43:18 AM by Red5 » Logged

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
hiero

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

For you newbies that are considering doing your first trackday, there are two dates coming up in July at a nearby track: MSR-Houston.
Located off hwy 288, about 35 minutes south from downtown Houston.
http://www.msrhouston.com/

LSTD is holding a date there on July 4th.
And Longhorn (Buck Beasley) is holding a "noob-only" day there on July 19th.

IMO... MSR-Houston might be better suited for a Monster; Texas World Speedway is more fun with a SBK or a liter bike.

I was gonna take the monster for my first day, would you recommend a n00b only trackday?

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Pedro-bot

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 07:00:28 PM »

I was gonna take the monster for my first day, would you recommend a n00b only trackday?

Although this question wsa directed at Frank, I think you would be just fine attending either track day posted above by Frank. As mentioned by Frank, LSTD runs a well organized outfit on their track days.  waytogo

I'm planning on attending the July 4th event so it would be alot of fun if you came out as well. BTW, bring out the SBK.  Evil

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Red5

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:42:13 PM »

I think you would be just fine attending either track day posted above. As mentioned, LSTD runs a well organized outfit on their track days.  waytogo

Correct.  I've seen you ride, David, and you'll be fine doing Beginner's (or even Intermediate) group in any of the organizations.
I only mentioned Buck's "noob-only" day for those who may have only a year or two of overall riding experience, and may feel more comfortable riding in a more controlled pace.

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »

Correct.  I've seen you ride, David, and you'll be fine doing Beginner's (or even Intermediate) group in any of the organizations.

I recommend anyone start in the Novice/nOOb/Beginner group. Ride at your own pace, no pressure, learn your bike, the track... You'll know when you're ready to move up [moto]

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
hiero

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

doh!  thanks for all the help folks!

I was just about to sign up for the july 4th event, but it turns out they don't have a beginner's class on friday events...  Cry

I guess the 19th will have to be the day?

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Gone Ape

Boom-Shaka-Laka.....So much for my Titanium Member

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:24:47 PM »

I am no expert....period...but here in Austin there's:

www.elitetrackdays.com

They run down at Harris Hill Raceway located near San Marcos/Kyle right off IH 35...I went to the track orientation Ducati Owners Group thing and had a blast.....instructors are great, the track is fun and is brand new....

There's a July date coming up........

Always one to be underestimated
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: