Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 16, 2024, 12:24:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: License question  (Read 6542 times)
TeenRider

« on: March 15, 2011, 01:13:31 AM »

Through a couple quick reads of the DOT site..

Because I am over 18, do I need a permit or can I jump to the license test?
I plan on taking the Basic Riders Course from T.E.A.M Arizona (http://www.motorcycletraining.com/site/index.php/Basic-Rider-Course.html)
They say I will not have to take the state administered tests once completed.

any ideas?
Monster Dave

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »

You're right. You take the test through TEAM Arizona at the end of the instruction period. You'll be happy with what they teach you and competent to start riding.

Good luck!  waytogo

Have you already got a motorcycle?
Michael
Voted "Nicest Pants" 2009

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »

They only do the road test as part of the class; you still have to go down to the DMV and take the written test to get your license.

And you don't need a permit to do either, unless you're riding a motorcycle on the road between now and then. In that case you definitely want a permit so you're not driving around illegally.

[moto]
Monster Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »

They only do the road test as part of the class; you still have to go down to the DMV and take the written test to get your license.

Unless they've changed the way they do things, you don't. If you complete the Team Arizona program and pass the test, the nothing else is necessary.
TeenRider

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »

You're right. You take the test through TEAM Arizona at the end of the instruction period. You'll be happy with what they teach you and competent to start riding.

Good luck!  waytogo

Have you already got a motorcycle?

Yeah, I was advised by GOAZ to take that course and then the Advanced Riding Technique course when I feel ready.
I am looking for bikes right now and found one thats in Anthem and Im in Paradise Valley... So Im not sure how thats going to work out.
I contacted the seller but no reply today. Price range is under 5k, and Im hoping for an 800 or 900. The one in Anthem is an S2R800.

Only motorcycle I have rode is one of those mini dirt bikes that are about the height of your knees. But I was practicing counter-steering on my bike and found it tons of fun. Taking those 90ยบ turns as fast as I could haha
TeenRider

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »

And you don't need a permit to do either, unless you're riding a motorcycle on the road between now and then. In that case you definitely want a permit so you're not driving around illegally.

[moto]

Yea probably wont get a bike until after the course or lesson but IDK
TeenRider

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »

how much do you guys think insurance would be on an S2R1000? Should probably take care of that before hitting the road with the bike huh?
JBubble
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »

how much do you guys think insurance would be on an S2R1000? Should probably take care of that before hitting the road with the bike huh?

It differs from person to person, company to company. Best bet is to call your insurance company and others and ask for a quote.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »

Through a couple quick reads of the DOT site..

The federal DOT site won't have the info you want. you need to look at your state site - if you were looking at the Feds

You'll need to take care of that or you won't get plates unless you pay an uninsured driver fee. But asking that sort of question is way to vague. Age, gender, income, driving history, sort and level of coverage etc etc will all make a difference.

My full coverage at 33, with a clean history, combined vehicle and home ins rates, might be the same as coverage for someone younger with a ticket to get crap coverage.

If you have not talked to an insurer  - you should do so before pulling the trigger on any bike. You might find that your budget will blow out...

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Monster Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »

TR, I'd be cautious of your desire to get the largest hp bike as your first motorcycle. Jumping right onto the biggest hp bike right away may end up lending itself to a dangerous situation given your new rider level of experience.

Please don't take that the wrong way, it's just a word of caution.

You can get just as hurt going 15mph as you can going 90....and you can go that fast on nearly any bike on the road. What most experienced riders will tell you is that what makes a bike fast isn't only the bike, it's also the skill of he/she who rides it. It's easy to think that because you can ride on the streets that you can ride anywhere with the same amount of speed and expierence - such is not always the case.

You'll find with a bigger hp bike that you will be wanting to "keep up" with those who you ride with who may also be riding big CC bikes, who in all likely-hood (at least initially) will have more experience than you, and because of that you could very easily find yourself in a life or death situation. My sweetie who has been through motorcycle racing school and has loads of expierence has stories upon stories of people who she has witnessed over-ride their ability because they ride powerful bikes - a truly novice mistake in any regard.

If that that sounds at all plausible, take a step back before you commit to buying a 900 or a 1000.

Again, don't take that the wrong way, something in one of your posts just got me thinking this way and I thought a voice of caution might help.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:14:57 PM by Monster Dave » Logged
Michael
Voted "Nicest Pants" 2009

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »

I don't disagree with Dave on this issue, but I don't think there's much difference between a 600 Ducati and a 900 Ducati when it comes to a new rider. I mean, it's still a Ducati.

So, if you're not used to the extra power, then start with a nice Honda Nighthawk 450 or something.

Although, the fact that you're taking several instructor courses says to me that you're a responsible guy.
TeenRider

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »

TR, I'd be cautious of your desire to get the largest hp bike as your first motorcycle. Jumping right onto the biggest hp bike right away may end up lending itself to a dangerous situation given your new rider level of experience.

Please don't take that the wrong way, it's just a word of caution.

You can get just as hurt going 15mph as you can going 90....and you can go that fast on nearly any bike on the road. What most experienced riders will tell you is that what makes a bike fast isn't only the bike, it's also the skill of he/she who rides it. It's easy to think that because you can ride on the streets that you can ride anywhere with the same amount of speed and expierence - such is not always the case.

You'll find with a bigger hp bike that you will be wanting to "keep up" with those who you ride with who may also be riding big CC bikes, who in all likely-hood (at least initially) will have more experience than you, and because of that you could very easily find yourself in a life or death situation. My sweetie who has been through motorcycle racing school and has loads of expierence has stories upon stories of people who she has witnessed over-ride their ability because they ride powerful bikes - a truly novice mistake in any regard.

If that that sounds at all plausible, take a step back before you commit to buying a 900 or a 1000.

Again, don't take that the wrong way, something in one of your posts just got me thinking this way and I thought a voice of caution might help.

haha I dont give a flying F what the other riders think of me so I wont be trying to keep up. My initial plans are just early morning rides and low traffic times and/or areas. Like on the way to our country club there are a bunch of winding roads, Im sure you guys know the roads, there is a turn off that takes you to Bartlett lake? I just see myself getting tired of the smaller CC's and the hassle of getting a new bike when that happens is too much. Plus, I would rather have the power and not need it than need the power and not have it.

Many people thought a BMW was too much car for me when I started driving but a couple years later and no tickets, no accidents, nothing. Thats not to say I dont speed or anything, I am just cautious about it. We have a 335d that just sits in our garage that I now drive more often then my 530 and I tuned the 335d so it has 309whp and 500+lb tq-at the crank HELLA FUN, no accidents, no tickets, nothing. Again, I am very cautious and aware.
TeenRider

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »

I don't disagree with Dave on this issue, but I don't think there's much difference between a 600 Ducati and a 900 Ducati when it comes to a new rider. I mean, it's still a Ducati.

So, if you're not used to the extra power, then start with a nice Honda Nighthawk 450 or something.

Although, the fact that you're taking several instructor courses says to me that you're a responsible guy.

Thanks, I try to be haha. I just dont want to go through the hassle of selling the thing, new insurance, licensing, etc.
Who knows, I might just give up on this whole thing..
Monster Dave

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

With all due respect, riding a motorcycle isn't equitable at all to driving a car - assuming that it is and taking a cocky attitude towards riding will only get you hurt. I agree with Michael that taking those courses will be a responsible thing to do when you do take them and you will learn a lot from them. If you look under the Riding Techniques section, you will find many reviews of the Total Control course which was really fantastic.

As an observation regarding your comment about "not giving a flying f about what other people think" - it appears to me that you're saying one thing and showing another. If you don't care what people think, then why point out (to everyone on a new forum) that the car that you acquired when you first started driving was a BMW?? Why list the other cars  in your garage? Why present their tuned up specs??

No offense, but it seems like you do care what others think.

TeenRider

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »

With all due respect, riding a motorcycle isn't equitable at all to driving a car - assuming that it is and taking a cocky attitude towards riding will only get you hurt. I agree with Michael that taking those courses will be a responsible thing to do when you do take them and you will learn a lot from them. If you look under the Riding Techniques section, you will find many reviews of the Total Control course which was really fantastic.

As an observation regarding your comment about "not giving a flying f about what other people think" - it appears to me that you're saying one thing and showing another. If you don't care what people think, then why point out (to everyone on a new forum) that the car that you acquired when you first started driving was a BMW?? Why list the other cars  in your garage? Why present their tuned up specs??

No offense, but it seems like you do care what others think.   

Point is having a "powerful" car I am not pushing it to its limits, I am not showing it off. I am the one enjoying it, not the world seeing me in it. I gave details just like one would give details of getting an S2R1000, you couldn't generalize it and just say powerful motorcycle.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: