Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:50:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike at the shop. Technician's checklist advise  (Read 1271 times)
Cucciolo

« on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »

Hello guys!
 I wanted to ask you guys what items, numbered if you can, would you consider important to have the mechanic check and/or replace

I came up with these vital things I would like checked/replaced:

1) All belts (Timing and is there any other belt?)
2) Valves (what should I ask the tech to check for)
3) Spark plugs (if they need replacement or not)
4) what else can be stressed by hard riding it?

I will have the tech do 1 complete surgery to it!! I appreciate all the help  waytogo
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:17:21 PM by Cucciolo » Logged
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »

First off the older clutch is a bummer but should be just fine, no worries just a steel outer basket and plates.

the valve guides were prone to wearing on those bikes and the rocker arms have some issues  but other than that I have seen very few problems with the s4r bikes.
Racers do use the bikes hard but the bikes are built for the use so I would not worry too much unless the bike spent more time on its side than upright.

If you are worried just do your 6000 mile service early and have the rockers all checked, instal new belts and have a fresh start with your new bike. At that point you will be good for another 6-7k miles . I would guess he had a slipper clutch installed and then swapped it out before selling the bike. , check steering stops for damage due to crashing.

After you get the tune done you will be bummed at the bill but after a couple of hundred miles you will forget the pain and be loving your new bike.
Dave R

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »

I think you may be a bit overboard on your concerns, no offense.   The previous owner may have had a cool aftermarket clutch (slipper) in it before he sold it to you and threw in a well used complete clutch and kept the nice one for his new Ducati..  not out of the realm of possibilities.   If it was indeed owned by someone who is a licensed club racer or a avid track day rider I doubt they would ignore the maintenance or upkeep of the bike for safety reasons.  Were the tires scuffed and balled up on the edges ?  Does the bike have various nuts and bolts safety wired as required for competition ?  I have yet to see a S4R competing in club racing here in N America..    If anything I would wager it was owned by a racer/track day guy that had it as a street bike..  the only way to hurt that bike is to ignore the basic upkeep not by riding it hard,  no room on the street to potentially hurt and engine on the street and not end up in jail or dead.   It was a trade at our store, we would go over it completely visually, replace clutch assembly, consider fresh tires, flush all the fluids and change the timing belts as they are over 2 years old.  Then just ride it... 

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
factorPlayer

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:52:10 AM »

you talk to the guy yet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: