Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:56:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dumb ????  (Read 2456 times)
omahamonster

« on: June 13, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »

What is the red key actually do and when do you use it?  I tried to search but came up empty bang head
monster monkey
After I Eat, I Am A

That Really Is Me, I Promise!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »

the red one is  a program key since your bike is equipped with an immobilizer. it does not function as a normal key, but if you need a replacement then the red key is NEEDED to prgram the new one

SO DON"T LOSE IT! I keep mine in a safe somewhere in Switzerland.....

Everytime I'm on two wheels, the streets part, heavens open, and hearts pound

The heart pounding is true, at least...
blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »

Not only will it make your bike explode it will cause the internets to disappear and rip a whole in the very fabric of space time.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »

From my manual:

The immobilizer system

For additional anti-theft protection, the motorcycle is equipped with an IMMOBILIZER, an electronic system that locks the engine automatically whenever the ignition switch is turned off.  The handgrip of each ignition key contains an electronic device that modulates the output signal from a special antenna in the switch when the ignition is switched On. The modulated signal represents the “password” (which is changed at each start-up) by which the ECU recognizes the ignition key. The ECU will only allow the engine to start if it recognises this password.

Keys (fig. 7)

The owner receives a set of keys, comprising:
- 1 key A (RED)
The red key is a service tool and is part of the motorcycle’s immobilizer system. It contains the code of the immobilizer system and should not be used for normal everyday use of your motorcycle. Your dealer may ask you to produce the red key in order to carry out certain service operations. For security reasons, the red key cannot be replaced. In cases where the red key is required for servicing purposes and the owner is unable to produce it, it will be necessary to renew the motorcycle’s electronic control unit, instrument panel and ignition switch assembly, and the cost of these operations will be met by the owner. It is therefore important to keep the red key in a safe place.
- 2 keys B (BLACK)

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
duc996

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:26:49 AM »

From my manual:

The immobilizer system

For additional anti-theft protection, the motorcycle is equipped with an IMMOBILIZER, an electronic system that locks the engine automatically whenever the ignition switch is turned off.  The handgrip of each ignition key contains an electronic device that modulates the output signal from a special antenna in the switch when the ignition is switched On. The modulated signal represents the “password” (which is changed at each start-up) by which the ECU recognizes the ignition key. The ECU will only allow the engine to start if it recognises this password.

Keys (fig. 7)

The owner receives a set of keys, comprising:
- 1 key A (RED)
The red key is a service tool and is part of the motorcycle’s immobilizer system. It contains the code of the immobilizer system and should not be used for normal everyday use of your motorcycle. Your dealer may ask you to produce the red key in order to carry out certain service operations. For security reasons, the red key cannot be replaced. In cases where the red key is required for servicing purposes and the owner is unable to produce it, it will be necessary to renew the motorcycle’s electronic control unit, instrument panel and ignition switch assembly, and the cost of these operations will be met by the owner. It is therefore important to keep the red key in a safe place.
- 2 keys B (BLACK)
Very good to know that,plus i read it in the manual that you can't have that red key get mixed up with other metals?Not so sure about that.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 06:52:57 AM »

In case of life or death situations (read: whole space/time continuum depends on your turning on the bike, or a really really hot chick wants a ride and you lost all your black keys), the red key will turn on your bike and *can* be used as a normal key.

This, however, is very risky bc if you were to lose this key, well, you're pretty much make the beast with two backsed. you'd have to replace the locking mechanism, gauge cluster, and ecu (read: about 4 k)+

cheers!

C

omahamonster

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »

Thanks waytogo
vampireduc

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:06:42 PM »

Ok threadjaking here!  I have the idea of the red key, what year started with the immoblizer show up?  I have an 01 900ss that was in an accident and the key switch was broken and the tank damaged to the point were the gas cap was unusable. 

Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me if I'm buying the "magic three" or can I just buy a new key, switch, gas cap and call it good?

Of the good in you I can speak but not of evil.  For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst.

'97 M750...sold
'99 900ss...project, waiting on parts to finish the rebuild (sold)
'99 750ss...parts for the 900ss (sold)
'97 M750...again!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »

Ok threadjaking here!  I have the idea of the red key, what year started with the immoblizer show up?  I have an 01 900ss that was in an accident and the key switch was broken and the tank damaged to the point were the gas cap was unusable. 

Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me if I'm buying the "magic three" or can I just buy a new key, switch, gas cap and call it good?

Breath easy, your bike is pre imobilzer.
vampireduc

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »

Howie.

Thank you that saves me a ton of money and heartache.  Bike is getting on the road much sooner!!!

Of the good in you I can speak but not of evil.  For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst.

'97 M750...sold
'99 900ss...project, waiting on parts to finish the rebuild (sold)
'99 750ss...parts for the 900ss (sold)
'97 M750...again!
the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »

In case of life or death situations (read: whole space/time continuum depends on your turning on the bike, or a really really hot chick wants a ride and you lost all your black keys), the red key will turn on your bike and *can* be used as a normal key.

This, however, is very risky bc if you were to lose this key, well, you're pretty much make the beast with two backsed. you'd have to replace the locking mechanism, gauge cluster, and ecu (read: about 4 k)+

cheers!

C

what does "beast with two backsed" mean ive tried to figure it out but i am at a loss

the ron Evil

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
slyfox

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »

meaning ........ you loose red key, ....... better buy new bike Grin
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »

meaning ........ you loose red key, ....... better buy new bike Grin
Aye, If I was ever to lose the red key, I would probably part out the bike and try to make as much off the parts as possible. Selling it without the red key lowers the value immensely, and I wouldn't be able to sucker some newb into taking it. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: