Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:47:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since Ed's Too Modest To Tell You........  (Read 9066 times)
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 07:18:13 AM »

Fourth in ULW.  If I can suck ten more pounds I think I can reel in Graves and work on third!   Wink

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »

Fourth in ULW.  If I can suck ten more pounds I think I can reel in Graves and work on third!   Wink

Darn, I missed it!!!  bang head I really want to see a ULW race!!! CONGRATS SCOTT! That is good...!  waytogo Is there a ball park HP to the first three ULW bikes? As they say "A package wins, not the rider"...so what do I need to get on my bike apart from NOT bringing the fear of DEATH? Huh?

Ride forever...
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »

Graves ran a half second per lap faster than I did on his modified Honda single.  I'm faster in the turns, so if I can get a little more umph, either in the form of more power or less weight, I think I have something for him.  The other two guys, one on a VERY heavily massaged Ducati 250 and the other on an even more heavily massaged Yamaha DT 175 two smoke, run four seconds a lap quicker.  That translates to another five to seven horses, I think, or another hundred pounds.  I can't suck that much weight, so I think a little mechanical wizardry is in order.

To force an Aermacchi to make the horsepower necessary to compete well at Sandia is an expensive proposition.  I've found a CRS motor that I've been gathering parts for over the last year, and I'm getting close.  That engine should hold a 10 hp advantage over my current street motor.  The last time I saw a complete, running CR/CRS/CRTT motor it was about $7000, I think.  They're also very competitive in AHRMA's 200 Grand Prix class, which is where I was hoping to run the bike at AHRMA events....if I ever get to go to one.

I got this motor via eternal vigilance at ebay.  A guy posted an Aermacchi motor but didn't know what he had.  It was pretty mangled up, and was missing much of the clutch assembly (which was a bear to find and expensive), but it's mine now.  For reference, there's a pair of bare CASES for a CR motor on ebay right now for over $1000! 

I think all I'm missing are a piston, cam, followers, valves, valve springs, and clutch plates...all of which are easy to find except the clutch plates....and I have a lead on those.  I might also want to increase the carb size, but I'll want to chew on that a bit.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »

Thanks Scott! That was the information I was looking for! It helps me understand racing better...! I can think beyond an Aermacchi at some point, for this one, I would perhaps start like you with a 33size Mikuni and run few sessions to modify to perhaps a FCR 37 (extreme manifold convergence nozzle from 26mm?!) and a fat air filter. I can also perhaps make aerodynamics do few tricks, working on this! More down force at leans-means more corner speed, there is only so much motor can do, the rest air needs to carve out!

Ed, sorry jacking this thread...but, perhaps you got a tip or two! Smiley Huh? waytogo

Ride forever...
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »

Congratulations to both Ed and Scott, you guys kick ass waytogo

Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »

And you did it again today waytogo Had a blast watching both you and Scott tearing up the track today. applause
Having good company didn't hurt...thanks Caleb, Marco and Bjorn Wink
Axel

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »

Some great racing today... enjoyed seeing you guys out there.  waytogo

Bikes in the stable:
'99 900ss
'03 ST4s
'09 XL1200
"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: