Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 04:46:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 S4R with full termi kit - horrid gas mileage - any advice?  (Read 7556 times)
Gus

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »

SO i figured it out.  I'm getting 12 MPG.  12!!!!   I'm not bloody happy with this.  Probably going into the dealer tomorrow, but thanks for all the input from you guys,  I'll pass along the suggestions.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

Same here, at least 35 mi. per gallon - which I thought wasn't so good until now.

Bro-in-law's KTM950 SM gets the same.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
R_usty

S4RS DUC-23

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »

SO i figured it out.  I'm getting 12 MPG.  12!!!!   I'm not bloody happy with this.  Probably going into the dealer tomorrow, but thanks for all the input from you guys,  I'll pass along the suggestions.

I read below that you got 60 miles out of your tank - Is that correct? How much fuel did you put in afterwards? I would guess a max of 3 gallons - That means you are actually getting about 20 miles per gallon. 12 MPG is only 36 miles on a tank and that would be really bad  bang head (I know the literature says the tank is about 3.5 gallons (13.5 litres) but in reality you can only squeeze in about 3 gallons or maybe a touch more (11.75 litres for me).

I get about 120 klms out of a tank city riding with 15T front and 45T rear and about 190k's country riding (again don't know aboyt highways as I don't use them either.

That means I get about 25-28 MPG for city riding and 38-40 MPG country riding.

There is definately something wrong with your setup somewhere that needs fixing. The milage I get is silimar to that of many other S4RS's around here in Aust but also the same as many listed on teh old DML.

Good luck getting you bike sorted and put your name down for a new larger capacity tank for Chris at ca-cycleworks.com.

R_usty

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monster S4RS - Sold....... Looking for a new ride!
Gus

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »

I guess I should correct it, 12-15 MPG in the city and 20 MPG max on the highway.  Either way, that's not right.  The dealer is ordering me a new ECU in an effort to fix the problem.  I'm doubtful though, considering I've been getting this mileage since day 1 when the bike was completely stock and the termi's with the DP ECU has done nothing but make it stall less.

If they can't fix it after this ECU swap, it's going back to them and i'm picking an '06 999 that has been sitting there for a couple years.  Honestly, I kind of hope the ECU doesn't fix the problem, I should have picked up a SBK in the first place.
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »

Gus,

is there an authorised Dynojet outlet near you?

The power commander and individual cylinder map sounds good - had a fellow member tell me about it yesterday and he gets magnificent mileage from a very high performance machine (S4r, full termi, ecu)
Gus

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »

Gus,

is there an authorised Dynojet outlet near you?

The power commander and individual cylinder map sounds good - had a fellow member tell me about it yesterday and he gets magnificent mileage from a very high performance machine (S4r, full termi, ecu)

I wish!   We've got nothing here that could install that for me.  Once a year a chopper dealer here brings in a trailered dyno.  He tells you you're horsepower and a/f mixture, doesn't do any tuning.  That's all we have and it was a while ago.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »

I'm willing to bet the new ECU will fix the problem. Good luck.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

Gus

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 11:27:27 AM »

I'm willing to bet the new ECU will fix the problem. Good luck.

LA

The reason I doubt it is because I had the exact same problems with the stock ECU before the termi upgrade.  I just find it unlikely I went through 2 buggered up ECUs consecutively.  I guess we'll see though, if this doesn't do it, it's gone.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

does your dealer have the ability to check air fuel ratios?
do they have a gas analyzer?

Not slamming them in any way but this should be a straight forward problem. The bike is too rich,why? A failing ECU can go to full rich. A faulty TPS can cause a bike to be too rich. Any of the fuel trim sensors can richen the mixture. Have these all been ruled out? If the problem did not change when you added the dp ecu you can probably rule that out. They should be able to use the DDS and a gas analyzer or dyno that reads CO and figure this out. If not wait until your 999 stalls at every stop.
good luck
Gus

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

I agree, it should be straight forward and have a cause/solution for every problem.  That's why I'm getting frustrated though because I've had it in there a handful of times and nothing is changing for the better.  They say it doesn't seem to have any of the usual signs that the engine is getting too much gas.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 06:19:55 AM »

Just to see if they are capable of reading CO or air fuel next time ask them what your air/fuel ratios are or at least CO levels. If they do not have the capabilities to read these you may want to find a place that can.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »

Gus,

Dood, where do you live? Like other responders have said, the diagnostics required to isolate your problem are very straight forward, if the shop has the standard Ducati  factory tools and mechanics that are trained to use them. If not, Ducati should not allow them it sell the product - Counter productive for them to do so.

Don't abandon one of the "best" motorcycles ever sold the public because the dealership is incapable, inept, or pick another word that suits  you better.

You should be able to get at least 35 mpg.

How far do you have to go to get to another "real" Ducati shop? bang head bang head bang head

LA

Gus

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »

You should be able to get at least 35 mpg.

How far do you have to go to get to another "real" Ducati shop? bang head bang head bang head

LA

I've got about 500 miles to the next dealer,  It's a renowned one though,  so I'm going to speak to Ducati about getting it to Sportcycle for a complete tune.  We'll see though, the dealership hasn't been accomodating so far.  I've also written a letter to DNA today.  We'll see how it goes.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 06:07:53 AM »

I get only about 30 wheelies per gallon.   bang head

Seriously though, my last tank averaged about 25 mpg.  Not good, but I was hotdoggin' it a lot.  I have had about 30 mpg; not so great either.  Oh, and I have the full Termi kit with DP ECU on an 07 S4RS.

I bought a Cortech Sport Tail bag and a little gas can for long trips.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Justang

Here to learn

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »

Yeah, that's horrible gas mileage.  Something should be done to fix it.  I can't believe somebody would say that was alright mileage.  I have no tech info to give, but keep at them.  This is Ducati for cheese sake, they should be all over this! 

fyi, my Duc gets 40mpg in town.  It's the S2R1k though.

07 S2R1000 | Silver/Black | Full Termi w/ECU & stock air box| Clutch cover | 14t front | Tail chop | CRG bar end mirrors |
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: