Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 07:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 S4R with full termi kit - horrid gas mileage - any advice?  (Read 7560 times)
Gus

« on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »

Hey,  I've got an 07 S4R with 2100kms and a full termi kit with DP ecu and i'm getting maybe 60 miles a tank (100kms for us Canadians Grin)  Has any one else had problems like this?  The mechanic here is kind of stumped so any advice where to look would be great.

Thanks
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »

CO trim and TPS set correctly?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:39:17 AM »

Hey,  I've got an 07 S4R with 2100kms and a full termi kit with DP ecu and i'm getting maybe 60 miles a tank (100kms for us Canadians Grin)  Has any one else had problems like this?  The mechanic here is kind of stumped so any advice where to look would be great.

Thanks
I know a guy that had the similar set up on an ST3 and was getting similar results.

A complete set up brought his mileage up to 35mpg.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »

My S4RS with full system and ecu/airbox mods gets about 31 on the highway and about 29 in town. Low fuel light usually comes on at around 70 miles. That's the way it is. It runs great and sounds awesome. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:52:01 PM »

Thanks

I dont have an S4R, but here is the biggie quesiton. Where do you ride, how do you ride? how many miles?
I have an S2R1k, i bought it with 4,400 miles and was getting about 75 miles to the tank. 80% city stop go lane split. i was only getting about 100 miles to the tank on the highway. did my 6k (minus valves) and the bike was getting about 80miles to the tank. I started shutting of my engine at lights and got 90miles to the tank then just about 200 miles ago, all of a suddden im getting about 100 miles to the tank city, almost 130 highway. Im not sure if it was the oil/fluid change or hte bike finnaly broke itself in.

I do a lot of hard accelerations, occasional wheelies, alot of light to light sprints, and alot of revving at lights  Grin and when lane splitting.
By tank, i mean until htel ight turns on, which is a 2.5 gallon fill up for me.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Gus

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:33:55 PM »

My S4RS with full system and ecu/airbox mods gets about 31 on the highway and about 29 in town. Low fuel light usually comes on at around 70 miles. That's the way it is. It runs great and sounds awesome. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

that's 70 miles though,  I'm getting 70-80 kms which is about 35-40 miles before my low fuel light comes on.  It's going into the shop right away though and hopefully it'll come out a bit better.  It seems that no matter how i drive it I get the same shitty mileage,  i rode it like i stole it for a tank and then babied it for the next and it didn't change.   
R_usty

S4RS DUC-23

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:42:29 AM »

Thanks

My S4RS now has 17,500 k's on it with DP ECU and full Arrow system. I get 120 klms a tank city riding but on long country rides I can get up to 180 klms before the light flicks on - I have not yet managed to get 200 klms out of it but maybe one day (when I get a bigger tank  laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp)

Seriously if you check the DML (RIP) you will find many threads on this. It is a bummer but high performance means shit milage.... cheeky

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monster S4RS - Sold....... Looking for a new ride!
brad black

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:21:41 AM »

It is a bummer but high performance means shit milage.... cheeky

you should be able to get good economy out of one of these engines, even working it hard.  it will drop around town, but tuned properly it should still get much more than that.

i'd say it's a fuel mapping issue - just too rich, bad main to offset relationship, too lean in the idle area causing them to be set too rich by dealers doing it the "right" way, too rich in the cruise area, poor set up on the bike used to develop the mapping, etc (there's lots of possibles here) - or lack of spark advance issue.  the mv brutale 750 use a heap of fuel and it's predominately a spark map issue.

try winding the air bleeds out a half or full turn or having the idle mixture set to 2% CO.  might help.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »

Hummmm .... not good; somethings off; hows about a power commander with the termis?  Thats a guess; theres more knowledgeable one here that I.

I started a thread on gas milage just for this reason; so simple but so telling; I do know that somethings out mising or you need a through diagnostic .... termis are recommended for Duci's so the dealership should be able to help; thread below ...

post the fix when you get it; it an intresting problem-o.  Cheers D

Post: tec; Re: gas miage pool & question: ....yes there is many factors the effect MPG preformance; but generally it already looks like theres a range of between 35-45 MPG.  Milage is a good starting point to identify the mechanical heallth of an engine.  Below someone identified that a valve adjustment can make a significant difference in milage.  Keep em comming, I'll try to do a summary in a week or 2.

.... all the world is yours.
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »

i'd say it's a fuel mapping issue - just too rich, bad main to offset relationship, too lean in the idle area causing them to be set too rich by dealers doing it the "right" way, too rich in the cruise area, poor set up on the bike used to develop the mapping, etc (there's lots of possibles here) - or lack of spark advance issue.

+1

I'd love to see one of these badly behaved bikes do a set of dyno runs including A/F ratios at 5, 10, 20, 40, 60, and 100% throttle so we can see exactly what's going on there...

big

Big T

Bikeless..........

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:49 AM »

Here is my Dyno of the 07 S4RT.

The RED is with the Zards & Standard ECU.

The BLUE is the Zards, DP ECU & Open Airbox.......

Power increased and smoothed out and sucking more fuel......

.... This is your captain speaking. Please fasten your seat-belts as we prepare for take off.... (I'm the passenger now....)
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:09 AM »

Your CO must be set too high. Mine was setup at the dealer after install and it was still too rich. Mileage was low and the bike was a bit chuggy down low and on tip-in. I had them reset it and drop the CO .5% and the mileage came back. I still wasn't happy with the throttle response (yeah I'm picky) so I added a PCIII and dyno'd it. P E R F E C T!!  drink Not to mention the addition of 6 ponies and 8 ft lbs of torque...  Evil

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »

Sounds really low to me. I have an S4Rs w/ the full Termi Exhaust ,DP ECU, Open Airbox and 14T Front Sproket and I ride it hard in the hills. I usually get at least low 30s mpg .Don't know about Highway since I don't hardly ever ride any Highways.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
Gus

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 05:01:51 AM »

Ugh, geting frustrated  bang head  I called a dealer in another province here that apparently is renowned for motorcycle tuning and the guy said to me, I quote.  "Yeah, well if that's how much gas your bike uses, that's just how much gas it's going to use.  There is nothing we can really change."  For make the beast with two backs sakes, just useless.  I even explained to him there are other guys in my area with the exact same bike who are getting double the mileage I am and still nothing.

Thanks for all the suggestions though,  I've been at my dealership here and hopefully they try a few of them.
morganf
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

For what it's worth....

I just did a road trip this last weekend from Portland to Seattle, mix of backroads and slab. I go about 235lbs fully geared and got about 38 MPG on avg on my '07 S4Rs with a 14t sprocket, Spark exhaust, DP ECU, chopped air box and K&n. Spent a lot of time around 80 - 85mph on the freeway riding like a normal civilized person and keeping with the flow of traffic.
Duc Seattle tuned it and she's got 0% ridabilty issues, no chugging, poppin, nothing. Just 998cc of buttery smooth goodness.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: