Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:46:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to change your headlight bulb  (Read 3362 times)
leungevity

« on: May 03, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »

I have a 2003 monster 800 sie, so this may or may not be the same for you.  Didn't see a specific write up, so just figured I'd contribute something.

First off, my headlight wasn't so great, throw or intensity, so I've installed a Sylvania Silverstar, not sure how much better it will make it, but people on here seem to like it enough.  I used the 9003 or H4 ST model.

tools required: phillips head screw driver, flat head screw driver, 10mm allen key (i think)

The easiest way to do this is to just remove the hex bolts on the side of your headlamp with a 10mm allen key (hex) and do one at a time since those 2 screws are the only thing holding that headlamp in place.  I also took a red sharpie marker and put a line on the headlight housing (black bell shaped piece) and the silver metal arm holding the headlamp in place.  This creates an easy reference point for wherever the stock location was.

Once those 2 hex bolts are out flip the headlamp over and you'll see a small phillips screw that needs to be unscrewed a bit (but not removed).  This will allow you to take a flat head screwdriver and press the slot behind it which will allow the glass headlamp & chrome bezel piece as well as the headlight assembly to free from the protective black rear cover.  Once this is off, you'll see the wire going into the bulb, unplug this 3 prong plug off the bulb and pop the wire retaining clip from the open side (squeeze them together to release it).  NOTE: don't touch the glass bulb with your fingers, the oil could create hot spots causing premature breakage.  Pull old bulb out and replace with new bulb.  Slide plug back onto bulb and replace retaining clip.

Push backing cover back onto glass housing (making sure the screw on chrome bezel matches up with that slot you stuck the screw driver into) and tighten the screw.  Put both hex bolts back in and line the headlamp assembly back up with the sharpie marks and tighten.

Done, turn on key and test headlamp for low beam and high beam functionality.

PS it MIGHT be possible to just unscrew the small phillips head screw on the bottom while it's all still attached and pop it off while the bell housing is still mounted to the bike, but i didn't try that yet.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »

No need to loosen or remove the bucket. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: