Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 06:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of us PNW monster owners regularly commute to work on their monsters?  (Read 10486 times)
meanmonster

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »

Well whenever I ride i guess, I "might" speed a bit.....  Evil
dark_duc

2008 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:25:38 AM »

I also stick with the 30% chance of rain rule but consider my Monster as my primary vehicle.  When I sold my Accord to buy the Monster I lost my only fuel efficient vehicle.  I invested in some very versatile riding gear (Tourmaster flex series 2 jacket w/air venture pants) and have ridden down into the 20's with no problem.  The heated grips make this much more manageable as well.  I don't mind the rain, but the tail chop can make it miserable sometimes so I try to stay out of the downpours.  
meanmonster

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:39:15 AM »

I also stick with the 30% chance of rain rule but consider my Monster as my primary vehicle.  When I sold my Accord to buy the Monster I lost my only fuel efficient vehicle.  I invested in some very versatile riding gear (Tourmaster flex series 2 jacket w/air venture pants) and have ridden down into the 20's with no problem.  The heated grips make this much more manageable as well.  I don't mind the rain, but the tail chop can make it miserable sometimes so I try to stay out of the downpours.  

Heated grips sound wonderful, I might invest in some come colder weather because I plan on ridding her year round weather permitting. I'm sticking with summer compound tires though, like the twistys.

What's the worst weather you've been caught in?
dark_duc

2008 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:19 AM »

I got caught in a nasty downpour that caused large puddles of water almost instantly.  Then it started to hail   Undecided

I found an overpass and waited under it until it let up and continued on my way.  About a mile from my house I had to make a 90° right hand turn over double railroad tracks and almost lost the backend.  Definitely the most stressful commute home I have had, lol.
scott_araujo

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »

Riding my Royal Enfield back from San Francisco to Portland.  It was about two 12 hour days down, two days there, two 12 hours days back.  I was tired and sore and about 2 hours from home when it started pouring, and I had no rain gear Sad  It varied between light rain and downpour but never let up.  I was soaked to the bone and shivering when I got home.  Maybe not the worst weather but surely the most miserable ride I've had.  Still a great ride and I hope I get to do it again Wink

Hey, heated grips are nice but Hippo Hands or something like them are even better.  You can ride in sub freezing temps with summer gloves under those things.  They are super ugly but there's a reason you see them on every Police bike in PDX in the cold, wet weather season.

Scott
Mother

Free Organic Individual

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

Heated grips sound wonderful, I might invest in some come colder weather because I plan on ridding her year round weather permitting. I'm sticking with summer compound tires though, like the twistys.

What's the worst weather you've been caught in?

I spent 2004 on my monster

lived in government camp

worked on 17th and Mcbrod

snow sucks

get heated gear

buy XL Nitrile gloves to put over your gauntlets

don't chop the frame

keep the beer tray

buy a 'stitch

rainboots

a tank bag deflects far more than you think

a balaclava is a must

spend the money and change out your shield regularly

and

maybe spend the money on a gs1200adv

Undecided

found my old skin suit
meanmonster

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »

Lol at buying a gs1200adv, those are sweet bikes though.
scott_araujo

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

Jacob, forgot about suits!  AeroStitch is the best if you can afford it.  If you can't, a First Gear Thermo gets really good reviews and only costs about $160.  Not for warm weather.  I tried one on in the shop and was sweating in minutes.  It's the suit I'd get if I commuted more than the measly 11 miles I do.

Scott
Mother

Free Organic Individual

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »

I spent very little on Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0

nothing flashy

but

it kept me warm down to 42

and

relatively dry until last year or so

found my old skin suit
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »

Hmm... I need to look into those Hippo Hands.  Either that, or some handguards as wind deflectors combined with heated grips.

Tested out my Ducati Corse rain suit this weekend... works well.  waytogo  Doesn't breath worth a damn, but it keeps the rain off!  It is a bizatch to get in and out of though.  Eventually I may spring for a 'stitch suit, if only so I don't have to fight to pull the rainsuit on over my leathers.

Anyway... I'll be starting to commute on the new bike this week.  The rain was kinda heavy this morning out here, so I didn't ride today, but it's only supposed to be a 30% POP tomorrow... which means maybe one light sprinkle or shower.  I'll throw the rainsuit in the trunk just in case.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
meanmonster

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »

Looks like sun all week!!! Hopefully my new ducati speed 10 perf leather jacket will arrive this week for the warm weather.

duc_fan

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »

Bugger... it cleared off out here in Hood River.  Looks like I should've just ridden through this morning's rain.  Undecided

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

meanmonster

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »

Anyone else get excited about commuting when it's nice out? my commute is about 18 miles each way
duc_fan

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »

Anyone else get excited about commuting when it's nice out? my commute is about 18 miles each way

Oh yeah.  My commute is along SR-14 between Stevenson, WA and Hood River, OR.  Each way is 25 miles of two-lane highway through a National Scenic Area.  waytogo  I seriously can't wait for tomorrow morning's commute.

meanmonster

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »

Sounds better then my trip.... I work in a city (Lynnwood).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: