Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:16:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike shudders when taking off  (Read 9654 times)
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »

I ordered a 14T today but I'm also wondering what happens to the gearing at the other end, say at cruising or highway speed.  
You won't notice the difference....it's about 500 rpm at the same speed between the two (14T vs 15T) on my bike.

14T is useful at low speeds (15 - 20 mph) in 1st gear when the stock 15T sprocket drives the engine below 3500 RPM.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:11:39 PM by OT » Logged
mrpetebojangles

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »

I was also having some issues with this. I'm relatively brand new to riding and this gave me trouble the first few days on the bike and can be an issue starting from 0 on a hill at a stop light for example. It seems to be an extremely precise point on my 696 when the clutch engages near the end of the clutch's release and feathering the clutch slightly at a higher RPM is the key I guess. Sometimes I'll still get the clutch to the point when I think it should engage and wonder why it hasn't, I'll then give it more throttle, let the clutch out a little bit more and that's where I get the bucking. The feathering of the clutch has been very helpful with a lot of the slow speed turns I've been doing at lights and in things like U-Turns.

Off topic question. How does the 0 to get going work with a passenger? I feel like I'm approaching a point where I'll feel comfortable with my gf on the back and does the bike require slightly higher revving with more weight? Also, I'm hoping the bike does not give me that buck with a passenger on the back, but I assume that is less likely with more weight on the rear wheel. Any general tips above and beyond what I learned at the MSF class that apply to riding with passengers on the monster 696? Also, I noticed that the exhaust cans get quite hot, is this a problem with a passenger. My gf will more than likely be wearing jeans. On one of the first days of owning the bike I took it to my gf's house, I turned it off, and in the process of taking off my helmet my gf came out and accidentally got a piece of her leg flesh too close to the bike's engine and before she knew it, she got a nice little piece of boiled flesh on her thigh about the size of a quarter. I had been riding for about ~45 minutes I wanna say. She didn't experience any pain really, other than an instinctual "oh shit!" reaction and didn't expect there to be a mark... until the next morning. She's obviously ok, but it wasn't the first interaction I was hoping for.  Tongue
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »

I ordered a 14T today but I'm also wondering what happens to the gearing at the other end, say at cruising or highway speed. 

it will bring it down............but you probably won't notice a thing.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »

Off topic question. How does the 0 to get going work with a passenger? I feel like I'm approaching a point where I'll feel comfortable with my gf on the back and does the bike require slightly higher revving with more weight? Also, I'm hoping the bike does not give me that buck with a passenger on the back, but I assume that is less likely with more weight on the rear wheel. Any general tips above and beyond what I learned at the MSF class that apply to riding with passengers on the monster 696? Also, I noticed that the exhaust cans get quite hot, is this a problem with a passenger. My gf will more than likely be wearing jeans. On one of the first days of owning the bike I took it to my gf's house, I turned it off, and in the process of taking off my helmet my gf came out and accidentally got a piece of her leg flesh too close to the bike's engine and before she knew it, she got a nice little piece of boiled flesh on her thigh about the size of a quarter. I had been riding for about ~45 minutes I wanna say. She didn't experience any pain really, other than an instinctual "oh shit!" reaction and didn't expect there to be a mark... until the next morning. She's obviously ok, but it wasn't the first interaction I was hoping for.  Tongue

We have FAQs on taking passengers.

And please don't let your girl ride in jeans.  A passenger is more likely to get hurt and has to trust entirely on someone else's skills.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
newbie_mike

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »

I would say dont even think about taking her on the bike on the street until you have a few thousand miles under your belt.  You make think you are getting comfortable after a hundred or so, but you need to know how you react to situations that are not in your control - and develop the right instincts.  otherwise, you can both get really hurt - as braking distance increases, weight increases, lean angles can change, etc when you have a passenger.

just my 2 cents

s2r 800 dark  05
talljoker

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »

I had the same issue starting off been riding but I love my monster. I have a 750 and at first I was riding around it was jumpy like that. It was all with the clutch engagement and knowing the friction zone. I would say start off in a parking lot and just have your feet down and slowly let out the clutch (NO GAS) and let it engage and let it out. Do this over and over until you get muscle memory of your hand. Your hand will probably hurt but I did this in our Basic Rider Course and I learned a lot. I would say take a course where they put you on a 250 and you learn the basics...

Also for putting your girl on there. DON'T!!! until you feel comfortable with yourself. I do not have to worry about that since my girl rides next to me...on her CBR Sad
mrpetebojangles

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »

I did take the course. The main difference it seems is the point where the engagement happens in the clutch's travel path. It seems to be at the very end of the clutch's release which is very different from the bike they had me learning on. I've certainly improved with this by opening the throttle a bit more within the last moments of the clutch bar being out
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: