Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 25, 2024, 04:12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1199 Photo leak!  (Read 82184 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

People are discussing the link between the 1199 and MotoGP on several fora and in the media. I doesn't need to be true to hurt sales, just people believing it's true is enough.

this i agree with.  it may not be inferior to current design at all, it could be equal or an improvement - but sales hurt if there are concerns that it is similar to the GP bike's design, and with the GOAT on the GP bike and not winning - it doesn't look good. Add to it that the current model SBK had a fairly abysmal season in WSBK & AMA, people might not be looking at Ducati at all.

Troy's posts and times are encouraging - wonders if this was done on a 'base', an 'S', an 'R', or a factory bike such as an 'RS', and what his comparison time was done on.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:53:02 PM by j v » Logged

iRam

« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »

Fairly abysmal WSBK?..  Evil i think checa's been dominating.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:06:07 PM by iRam » Logged

Ducati Monster 796
BMW R nineT
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »

have you been watching the races?

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »

have you been watching the races?

You mean the series that Checa is dominating this year?

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
iRam

« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »

Got em all on DVR.

Ducati Monster 796
BMW R nineT
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »

i watched 'em too.  you see checa true enough, and then ... any others?   factory team...?     Aprilia is running a fairly new bike and hasn't been competing in WSBK as consistantly as Ducati, yet they have 20 podiums - only 3 short of Ducati.  And Checa is definitely kicking ass - but he's certainly a bit special too - he's ridden for Ducati in the past, and his resume includes WSBK, MotoGP+250+125, etc.

how about in AMA? - the bikes were not competitive like they should have been.  One rider changed off of his to a Triumph during the season!

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »

i ought to fess up for those who do not follow the series, i am referring to DiSalvo, and it wasn't until NJ that he switched.... he'd been doing "OK" during the season, if I recall a strong start then a lot of mediocrity

Raux
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

isn't the 848 kicking ass in that endurance series
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2011, 01:38:55 PM »

i only see the results of that one, don't record/watch it - 6 series is enough time as it is (sbk & ss ama, sbk & ss wsbk, MotoGP & Moto2)

zarn02

« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »

0 - in that case, lets switch back to less expensive conventionally mounted two-piece calipers, semi-floating or fixed rotors, external-reservoir-less shocks, axial-pump master cylinders, rubber brake lines, lower spec tires (pirelli supercorsas are expensive!), and valve springs... cost would go down drastically - to same as Japanese SBK's!
1 - People (and Magazines) complained of 916-748-996-998's ergonomics: seat higher than the handlebars + really long reach, but it wasn't made for pedestrian uses, like bike night or commutes - it was made to win, and it won.
2 - Honda, for example, produces showroom models only with wet clutches but at top level MotoGP - they, like all manufacturers, run dry clutches.
3 - seen the colors Lamborghini puts out now? trying to make it into hip-hop videos i suppose, but they all appear gaudy/flashy to me.

All I have to say is that it's been a while since I saw a post with footnotes. The pedantic nerd in me approves wholeheartedly. laughingdp

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
zarn02

« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »

As for Ducati's race results, with regards to production series (serieses? series'? I really should know this...)

Checa is dominating in WSBK, but he probably would be on any other marque of motorcycle, as well. Guintoli and Smrz both perform decently, but aren't championship contenders. Nobody else on a Duc seems to be doing much. How much of this can actually be blamed on the 1198 is of course up for debate, but the Ducati is hardly filling out the bottom of the roster.

At Imola, in Superstock 1000, the top four riders were on 1198s.

There aren't many Ducs in BSB, but Rutter can manage to keep up with the I4s. Jessop is no slouch either, though Rutter has overshadowed him through much of the season.

However, the Ducati suffered greatly at the Isle of Man due to its top speed deficit.

On power circuits, the 1198 is at a disadvantage compared to the four cylinders more impressive top-end. Though Checa would probably do well on anything mildly competitive, it can't hurt Ducati to make a more powerful bike with greater top-end go-fast-ness. Everyone else will be.

None of the complaints about the 1198 seem to have anything to do with the frame, or handling. I do hope Ducati have their shit together with this new frame concept, as it would be mighty expensive (and hurt corporate pride) to have to redesign after a year or two.

For full disclosure, my comments are based on the fact that I follow WSBK/SS/STK, MotoGP/2, BSB, and pretty much ignore AMA, etc.

(I feel certain I had a point I wanted to make, going into that. I'm not sure I managed to do so, but there it is...)

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »

So yea, I think we've sufficiently covered the fact that the 1198 has languished in competition this season. 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
muskrat

« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »

so has anyone tested the bike and "leaked" the results?  I'm still betting the base price to be $24,999  Tongue

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
zarn02

« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »

So yea, I think we've sufficiently covered the fact that the 1198 has languished in competition this season. 

In superbike trim, yes.

It seems to do better in superstock trim.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »

I was being a bit sarcastic. 

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: