Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 27, 2024, 07:16:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life's lessons on bottle jacks....  (Read 1680 times)
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« on: July 01, 2011, 05:41:18 AM »

Life's lesson number two: Some bottle jacks do not work horizontally. Thus, and mark my words here, it is always recommended to have a back up jack, and a bottle of jack, on hand, in case things go horizontal.

So, I am rebuilding a wrecked 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX600-R into a race bike. I pulled the wheels off the bike to put on race tires. The rear looked like it was hammered hard to stop and you could actually see through the flat spots, and the front had two plugs in it. lol. Anyway, I get some race rubber on it, and go to throw the wheel back on, and the swing arm isn't wide enough to fit the rims and spacers and rear brake mount.... weird.... I guess it had gotten pinched in the wreck and the wheel was keeping it open.... so... bottle jack spreader to the rescue.....

Except, the first bottle jack wouldn't open when I turned it on it's side... so I went to the FJ to get one out... and it worked perfectly. Weirdness. Anyhow, I do have a new swingarm coming in from eBay, so it's not like I was planning on racing with a tweaked swingarm...  but the alcohol did help... as the 5 minute wheel change ended up taking 90 minutes and some swearing... and knuckle skinning.... and a whole lotta axle grease...

So, I repeat... be ready for going horizontal... bring alcohol... protection.... and extra axle grease.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »

or just use a scissor jack the next time....

LOL

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
MendoDave
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »

What color was the FJ again?
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »

What kind of alcohol do you recommend? And how much? Grin chug drink Vino!...  coffee

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »

I hate bottle jacks under load....they kick-out sometimes which can be a shorts-soiling experience

This is an insult to the Pez community
ryandalling

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »

The FJ is tan. Also, I was expecting it to have a scissor jack, when I went to grab it... it was a bottle jack... but gear driven and not fluid driven like the other one.  So, I used it, and it worked. I recommend a good strong manhattan made with rhye whiskey. It helps settle the nerves a bit and it lessens the anger when you skin nuckles or slice open fingers on sharp edges and such. However, serving it up in a martini glass is not recommended as it can cause more sharp thingies scattered about the garage. I would say a sippy cup with a bendy straw is your best bet.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »

I would say a sippy cup with a bendy straw is your best bet.

borrowed your kids' cup for your own purposes did ya?...next thing you know, you are gonna tell us you had no cocktail nuts to chomp on, so you ganked his Cheerios too....LOL

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
MendoDave
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »

Yea see the than ones have the Bottle jack but, If you had bought a Brown one it would have the Scissor Jack, unless it was built on the third Wednesday of a Month with a big holiday. If you have one of those they come with Hydraulic rams that lift the car up.
SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »

There is always this method:

HATERS GONNA HATE.
Rob Hilding

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »

There is always this method:

I wonder how much fuel is in that tank  Shocked

Desmosedici - it's the new Paso (except the bodywork doesn't fit as well)
fastwin

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »

What could possibly go wrong with that method? bang head

Excellent drink recommendation and I'm liking the sippy cup idea too. Safety first, then drinking, then mechanic stuff. Grin drink

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

ryandalling

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »

Excellent drink recommendation and I'm liking the sippy cup idea too. Safety first, then drinking, then mechanic stuff. Grin drink

I really think that Vegas has it down. They give all them tourists them cups with lids and straws that attach to a chain you wear around your neck. You can't drop it and you can't spill it. If we could do a more manly version for the garage... we would make bank.  waytogo   Grin

fastwin

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »

More good thinking! waytogo laughingdp drink

Timmy Tucker

Banninated

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »

So, I repeat... be ready for going horizontal... bring alcohol... protection.... and extra axle grease.

This sage advice could apply to so many things...

1999 M750 - "Piggy"
2007 S4RS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: